Busted ignition - ignition cylinder rod replacement (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Knocked this out over the weekend on a 2003 LX470
With the following Amazon sourced Toyota 2061B, found here which was specified earlier in the post as working for my make/model/year.

Learnings :
The '03 LX had some differences in the orientation in the youtube video:
  1. The lock cylinder had the release button at the top of the shaft versus the bottom
  2. The new lock barrel indexed to me with the brass tabs to ~ 7 o'clock
  3. Don't be afraid to remove the white ignition module at the end of the tube. The hardest part is finding a good screwdriver to fit around/through the wiring
  4. I lost one of the two tiny springs (the smallest one) from the old lock barrel. Took the replacement piece to a locksmith and was able to source the replacement spring (couldn't find anything online for size/dimensions)
  5. (least important) From what I can tell, I purchased 2 rods, most replacement rods are cast/molded from the original. As such the tolerances are not laser sharp as the OEM, this mattered as replacement spring tolerances/resistance needed to work against the new slop. My advice, if you can't get adequate resistance/staying force for the brass tabs you need to move over. Consider finding/sourcing springs for the new tolerances. I can't imaging having to fish out the brash pieces if it came apart within the cylinder
  6. A Grabber tool like this would be ideal to fish out the broken rod

Good luck

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom