Building a new house and shop (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking good! Smart move, building the shop first. It will give you some perspective on Change Orders on the house. Enjoy the build, take lots of photos for future reference :)

Insulation?

Nice gas bottle storage rack.

Insulation?

Will be spray foam, inside of walls and roof.

Nice gas bottle storage rack.

Empties. Maybe not how I would do it, but our building site is rural and very remote - no one is there, or has access except the contractor and ourselves, so safety is not much of an issue.

Very nice. Good on you for going with spray foam. You won't have the problem of having the inside of your shop sweat and rain down on all your tools. I might suggest vents on the gable ends to allow some fresh air in. Spray foam does too good of a job of sealing it up. I find I need some air flow to keep things from getting stuffy.

Also, as another has said...building a shop and then the house is the best way to go about it.

Very nice. Good on you for going with spray foam. You won't have the problem of having the inside of your shop sweat and rain down on all your tools. I might suggest vents on the gable ends to allow some fresh air in. Spray foam does too good of a job of sealing it up. I find I need some air flow to keep things from getting stuffy.

Also, as another has said...building a shop and then the house is the best way to go about it.

Thanks.

It will have a 230-volt exhaust fan under the gable on the shop end.

Spray foam typically needs a topcoat material or cover like drywall to avoid catching on fire, any such plans? Good stuff just make sure you're safe in there!

Safety? Pffhht.

Spray foam typically needs a topcoat material or cover like drywall to avoid catching on fire, any such plans? Good stuff just make sure you're safe in there!

Drywall in the apartment side, and eventually OSB for at least the bottom 8' of the shop space. OSB not fire resistant, but it works well in the shop I have now, and we've avoided fires so far. Good to keep in mind though.

Safety? Pffhht.

We could test the strength and fire-resistance of the foam and walls by making a rocket out of the acetylene and oxygen bottles... :smokin:

Progress; front porch and red cedar (juniper for you western folks) facade on the front of the apartment, framing going up for interior walls of the apartment (10' ceilings as per Mrs. 1911), and exterior cedar going on the well house.

Anxiously waiting to see progress! Looking really good!

Great facade on that shop, love it, it looks "old west". Insulation is so important, I have a 30 x 40 shop with R30+ in the walls and R50+ in the ceiling and it remains 10 degrees cooler in the summer and retains heat incredibly well in the winter.

Kubota L3800 - is a pretty good tractor, just sayin'

Great facade on that shop, love it, it looks "old west". Insulation is so important, I have a 30 x 40 shop with R30+ in the walls and R50+ in the ceiling and it remains 10 degrees cooler in the summer and retains heat incredibly well in the winter.

Kubota L3800 - is a pretty good tractor, just sayin'

Thanks.

Yeah, I have two smaller Kubota tractors already and really like them, so a bigger Kubota is probably in the works. Trying to decide between a track steer and a bigger tractor though - lot of uses for the track steer.

Sub'd. Very envious, that shop already looks amazing! Is the last pic the outhouse?

Thanks!

That last photo is the well house, where the pressure tank and equipment for the water well will go. Had them make it quite a bit larger than necessary so I could store garden/tree tools in there, without taking up space in the shop. I did think about putting a crescent moon on the door though. I'll post a photo of it finished later today, and some updated photos of the shop.

Most of the progress has been inside lately; framing for the apartment and shop bathroom finished, shop is completely wired with 110 and 220, apartment currently being wired and plumbed.

Shop bay doors and commercial openers are in. You can also see some of the overhead lighting banks:

Well/pump house is finished:

Clearing trees for the septic leach/drain field:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom