Builds building a landcruiser for overland expedition (7 Viewers)

Should we paint Nulla’s camper cab blue?

• Yes

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow, such a neat trip. Driving to Alaska in style! Sure, there are easier ways but much less glamorous haha. Be sure to drive over to Mendenhall Glacier once you hit Juneau, it's a must see. That, and the Alaskan brewing Company ;) Will you be heading farther up into Alaska? If you make it to Anchorage I would love to see your setup in person!

Wow, such a neat trip. Driving to Alaska in style! Sure, there are easier ways but much less glamorous haha. Be sure to drive over to Mendenhall Glacier once you hit Juneau, it's a must see. That, and the Alaskan brewing Company ;) Will you be heading farther up into Alaska? If you make it to Anchorage I would love to see your setup in person!
I am pretty sure we will be in anchorage maybe we will see you there. Found out yesterday that the ferries are booked. So we are driving to Alaska. Any suggest on which hwy to take? Thx

View attachment 1463952
Hello NookSheneer, we are in Auburn, Later Cutting Northwest. If you go to the beginning of the thread you know it all started here. We are doing modification to the hitch and other stuff before going to Alaska, we will be here a week then take the ferry to Juneau. We want to think that we brought the sun shine :). Let us know if you want to come by. Thx

Would love to come down and see Your amazing work. I am currently hung up with Bronchitis and won't be able to meet up. Will you be passing back through this way after Alaska?

Would love to come down and see Your amazing work. I am currently hung up with Bronchitis and won't be able to meet up. Will you be passing back through this way after Alaska?
Most likely, hopefully pepping Nulla for south america

I am pretty sure we will be in anchorage maybe we will see you there. Found out yesterday that the ferries are booked. So we are driving to Alaska. Any suggest on which hwy to take? Thx

I've done that drive a few times, and since it's summer I definitely recommend going through the mountains as opposed to the flat lands.

Drive from Vancouver to Hope on the main Hwy then turn off at Hope on Canada Hwy 1 all the way to Cache Creek where it turns into 97. Take that all the way past Williams Lake up to Prince George. From there you will go west on Canada Hwy 16 until Kitwanga. Turn back North on 37 there unless you want to drive to the ocean lol. Drive 37 North up towards Watson lake until you hit the Alaska HWY (Hwy 1), then head west towards Whitehorse and the Alaska border.

If you are heading straight to Anchorage once you get in the state, then once you hit Tok, you will want to head south towards Glenallen. From there, just follow the signs southwest to Anchorage. There are very few Highways in Alaska, so it's pretty hard to get lost. It's about a 5 day journey from Washington, so plan accordingly. You will be able to re-supply at some of the bigger towns along the way.

I definitely recommend topping off fuel at every opportunity and keeping a jerry can or 2. There are usually gas stations open regularly in the summer but there are a lot of rural ma and pa stations that are closed randomly.

On a side note, since you weren't able to take the ferry, you will want to see some pretty Alaska coastline somewhere. Valdez is a short detour on your way to Anchorage and is stunning to see in the summer. If that's not in the cards then there is always Whittier and Seward which are closer to Anchorage. Then there is the Kenai Penninsula as well, also the same direction as Seward.

Thx, this is very helpful, getting the mile post today we will look at the route you suggested. We move very slow so it will take more than 5 days. I have 65 gallon diesel capacity hopefully we will be ok on fuel. Thx

IMG_1598.JPG
IMG_1614.JPG
IMG_1630.JPG
IMG_1632.JPG
IMG_1628.JPG
Continuing or journey to Alaska today after a week at Lazer Cutting NorthWest. We we taking most of StickyPete suggested route. We made a number of retrofit the main one is the hitch. The super hitch is made out of a 1/2" steel plate.

Also made a stop at Regal Auto Care to replace all 24 lugs, replaced and grease both front bearings and seals.....love their can do service. Thx

Thank you to the Lazer Cutting NorthWest Family.... see you on the way back!!!

That route is the quickest route, but not driving the portion from Watson Lake south towards Mile Zero at Dawson Creek
means you miss a lot of the real beauty of that drive. Liard River Hot Springs, Muncho Lake, Stone Mountain Park are
really beautiful, so should you be driving back and not taking the ferry I'd recommend going the other route on your
return. Besides, then you can claim to have driven the whole highway.
For sure when you get to the Yukon at least backtrack to Watson Lake to the Signpost!
Have a good trip. J

Wish I could; not signed up to FB. Welcome to Canada for your trip, get ready for lots of
waves, thumbs up, and smiles when they see you coming down the road!! :cheers:

Wish I could; not signed up to FB. Welcome to Canada for your trip, get ready for lots of
waves, thumbs up, and smiles when they see you coming down the road!! :cheers:
Thx for your help, hope to get the website up and running soon. Been hanging with this amazing rig from Austria, crossed path in many places, last one was Whitehorse, YT @ Takhini hot spring. We are now at Kluane Mountain blue grass festival at Haines Junction for the weekend.
IMG_1994.JPG
IMG_1997.JPG
IMG_2007.JPG

For those who are not on Facebook you can now follow us on our website nullacruising the interactive map on the the Follow us page should be useful. the Facebook link and email also works. email us we want to hear from you. thx Nulla is holding her own among other overloading vehicle out here. enjoy

So you did do the Alaska Highway from Mile Zero in Dawson Creek!! So cool!
I ran survey back in '81-'82 from 101 to north end of Trutch Mountain. Glad to see you enjoying your
trip and it is so far uneventful. I only regret not being able to just jump in the 60 and zoom up there.
Thanks for the web blog link. J

We are back from our Alaska travel, Nulla did great, no major issues. Currently we are in Auburn, WA at Laser Cutting NW LCNW. We are retro-fitting Nulla to travel to Asia. Hopefully begin our trip in Vietnam then drive around the continent for a while. We are not bringing the trailer and the sidecar (we will miss them). Nulla will be extended 2.5 feet in the back to accommodate a composite toilet and a shower. The design phase of any build is always fun, soon playing with the big machine. Most importantly hanging out with family and friends. We will keep you posted. Thx, to everyone who gave us support on our travel to Alaska.

Here is our travel FB: Nulla
If you want to follow our trip in Alaska click on this link:"Tripline Map: Nulla Los Angeles to Alaska"
We have a website but not updated: nullacruising
IMG_0015.jpg

Designing Nulla's retrofit

ih8mud.jpg
IMG_6658.jpg
arctic.jpg
sinag.jpg

We are back from our Alaska travel, Nulla did great, no major issues. Currently we are in Auburn, WA at Laser Cutting NW LCNW. We are retro-fitting Nulla to travel to Asia. Hopefully begin our trip in Vietnam then drive around the continent for a while. We are not bringing the trailer and the sidecar (we will miss them). Nulla will be extended 2.5 feet in the back to accommodate a composite toilet and a shower. The design phase of any build is always fun, soon playing with the big machine. Most importantly hanging out with family and friends. We will keep you posted. Thx, to everyone who gave us support on our travel to Alaska.

Here is our travel FB: Nulla
If you want to follow our trip in Alaska click on this link:"Tripline Map: Nulla Los Angeles to Alaska"
We have a website but not updated: nullacruising
View attachment 1536378
Designing Nulla's retrofit

View attachment 1536379View attachment 1536387View attachment 1536391View attachment 1536394

Might need to swing down to check it out tomorrow. What would be the best way to connect?

break 2.jpg
break.jpg
welding.jpg
nulla.jpg
Here is an update on the Nulla retrofit; 2.5 feet longer to accommodate a shower and composting toilet. If you go to the beginning of this thread you will know that this build all began here at Laser Cutting North West. Thank you LCNW!! We are having fun on the build and visiting with friends and family.

Did you find an engine person for work on the 12HT? I remember you asking. I have since
had a new alternator sourced from Australia. A new Bosch 12V 80A unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom