BUILD :: Moose - 3rd Gen 1997 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

From this:
[URL="http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7257/7688645974_000100b65a_z.jpg"] [/URL]

To this in no time with how quickly you work:

Ha! We'll see how quickly I lose pace when all the low hanging fruit gets taking care of! :wrench:

Greasin' the Shaft

168,888 miles

Today I replaced the front windshield wipers, still have to find the right replacement for the rear. Also greased the front and rear propeller shafts. There is so much talk online about following the FSM or just use multi-purpose grease or just use moly grease... I did none of the above. I found this Toyota Technical Service Bulletin in Nelsonmd's thread on T4R.org (TSB embedded at bottom). It conflicted with my FSM, but was released in 1999, so I took it as updated info. I used both types of grease as it suggested, the discrepancy came with which zerks to inject with which grease. The TSB made more sense to me, because it stated to inject the same kind of grease into similar joints and the moly into the one that appears to be most different, the double cardan joint. Either way, it's done.

I was hoping that the grease would get rid of this squealing sound I hear when I start rolling, but it did not. I'm thinking maybe wheels/bearings or just 'squeaky old truck syndrome'?

Few items next up on the list:
  • Fuel filter
  • Plasti Dip a few thangs
  • Taco Whip Antenna Mod (link). Missing antenna when I bought it.
  • Brake Check. Don't know if I'll go Tundra Brake Replacement yet or not.
  • Paint or refinish the wheels

Toyota Technical Service Bulletin - August 27, 1999
Propeller Shaft Joint Grease

DriveShaftGrease.jpg

DriveShaftGrease.jpg

The only place I was able to find the rear wiper was the dealer.

There is a lot of confusion online about the different grease types for the shafts. I just followed the owner's manual and used multi purpose for the U joints and moly for the slide yolks and double cardan.

I have also been debating about the Tundra brake upgrade. From what I can tell the biggest problems seems to be the rear brakes not self adjusting. When I first got mine I had a vibration from the front during braking and the pedal seemed to have a lot of travel. I flushed the fluid and bled and adjusted the rear brakes. They weren't being used at all. The adjustment made a big difference. I think I have decided that I am going to go back with the factory setup for the front (maybe A/M rotors) and turn the rear drums, clean everything real good and replace the shoes and hardware. If the rotors warp again then I will do the Tundra upgrade.

Nice ride welcome aboard.

Thanks! Glad to be here and have something to build on!

The only place I was able to find the rear wiper was the dealer.

There is a lot of confusion online about the different grease types for the shafts. I just followed the owner's manual and used multi purpose for the U joints and moly for the slide yolks and double cardan.

I have also been debating about the Tundra brake upgrade. From what I can tell the biggest problems seems to be the rear brakes not self adjusting. When I first got mine I had a vibration from the front during braking and the pedal seemed to have a lot of travel. I flushed the fluid and bled and adjusted the rear brakes. They weren't being used at all. The adjustment made a big difference. I think I have decided that I am going to go back with the factory setup for the front (maybe A/M rotors) and turn the rear drums, clean everything real good and replace the shoes and hardware. If the rotors warp again then I will do the Tundra upgrade.

Thanks for the tips, John. I was thinking about the dealership for the rear wiper, too. It's not listed in any of the aftermarket blade books I see in parts stores. And I'm thinking the same thing on the brake job. I don't see a need to go Tundra brakes until I lift and get bigger tires. I definitely need to check what I've got sooner than later though. I'm seeing a lot of travel in my brake pedal just as you mentioned.

Where are you going with this build? Built daily driver, trail truck, rock crawler, or a turbo charged mud machine?

Where are you going with this build? Built daily driver, trail truck, rock crawler, or a turbo charged mud machine?

Right now I'm set on built daily driver. It'll be bringing me 40 miles round trip to work 5 days/wk, which in Baton Rouge can feel like a rough trail from time to time.

Blacked Out

I've never been a huge fan of the gold emblems, although I don't think they look horrible on the Anthracite. I've been thinking about blacking them out and one of my friends had some extra Plasti Dip at the house, so I gave it a try today. I only did the Toyota sombrero on the back. I wish it had come out a little smoother. I don't know if that is just the product or user error. Either way, I like it and plan on doing the others.

7859238790_1fd73727b2_c.jpg

7859239194_c725850554_c.jpg

7859239850_765976a697_c.jpg

7859239552_315c4e9b7f_c.jpg

I've never been a huge fan of the gold emblems, although I don't think they look horrible on the Anthracite. I've been thinking about blacking them out and one of my friends had some extra Plasti Dip at the house, so I gave it a try today. I only did the Toyota sombrero on the back. I wish it had come out a little smoother. I don't know if that is just the product or user error. Either way, I like it and plan on doing the others.

Black emblems for the win! I love black/gray color schemes

plasti dip is crap in my opinion. it looks like crap, and peels off after a while and you have to peel all of it off and re-spray it. why not just use spray paint?

plasti dip is crap in my opinion. it looks like crap, and peels off after a while and you have to peel all of it off and re-spray it. why not just use spray paint?

I've heard good and bad about Plasti Dip and understand its not a perm solution, but wanted to try it out for a few reasons... I could peel it off if I don't like it and I can spray it on without removing emblems. I like the black enough to eventually remove and do it right, but this will do for now.

With Hurricane Isaac bearing down on the Gulf Coast, I knocked out my rear diff breather extension. I'm hoping not to drive thru any high waters by necessity, but I'll feel a little better about it if I do.

image-1254401800.jpg

image-1558821998.jpg

With Hurricane Isaac bearing down on the Gulf Coast, I knocked out my rear diff breather extension. I'm hoping not to drive thru any high waters by necessity, but I'll feel a little better about it if I do.[/QUOT

ya did the front as well?

It was my understanding that on 3rd Gen 4Runners coming from the factory there were two breathers extended up into the engine bay... One for the front diff and one for the transmission or transfer. Your comment got me thinking though, so I went outside and checked. Only see one breather. More research will have to be done. :confused:

image-3928623961.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom