Budget Engine Swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

Ive had my lc80 since 97 and I can't seem to find any reason to let it besides its inability to have any pick up on the freeway.

To resolve it, I am deciding to do an engine swap. Which swap world provide a recognizable change in speed and gas consumption.

Keep in mind, $$$ is somewhat limited, so the motor, installation and mods are a concern.

Hello everyone,

Ive had my lc80 since 97 and I can't seem to find any reason to let it besides its inability to have any pick up on the freeway.

To resolve it, I am deciding to do an engine swap. Which swap world provide a recognizable change in speed and gas consumption.

Keep in mind, $$$ is somewhat limited, so the motor, installation and mods are a concern.

Skip the engine swap and get a faster car for the CA freeways. Keep the cruiser for everything else.

In CA, there is no ‘budget’ swap; you’re 10 to 20K depending on what you want. You can probably do it for a bit less but I wouldn’t want to own it or drive it.....

"Budget engine swap" is an oxymoron. There is no such thing. Wait for the turbo (still not budget, but a lot cheaper than an engine swap), get a car that is more suited to the driving you want to do, or get used to enjoying the slow lane (I have a 3FE, so I enjoy the slow lane).

Lol.. Got it.. 10 grand?? Really?

I can get down with the slow lane. Even better the middle lane. But.........

How expensive is it putting the diesel version in? And is the 96-97 engine the same as the 91 when it comes to pick up and fuel?

Pick up a Lexus GX for 7 and call it a day. The GX470 has the extra power and better efficiency. Pick up a high mileage one and call it a day.

Last edited:
10 grand would be an incredibly cheap engine swap. The shops that do this work regularly and would get it to pass emissions charge $25k.

That’s not to say you and your buddies couldn’t throw a junkyard motor in cheaper than $10k but it’s not likely everything will work. The adapters alone are close to $2k.

How expensive is it putting the diesel version in? And is the 96-97 engine the same as the 91 when it comes to pick up and fuel?

Sounds like yours is a 91? If so yes anything 93-97 will have more power, however fuel mileage won't be any better. Cool to hear from someone who's owned their 80 for 20 years, nicely done.

You state you've owned it since 1997, however, you don;t actually state what year your truck is.

91-92 will be less of an issue, but you're in CA which is a problem for smogging, etc.

93-94 are OBD1 and may be a bit easier, but the 95-97 version is already OBD2 and you MUST replace with an OBD2 engine and all the exhaust and other garb. I am in no sense an authority, I have just read many of this exact same question and have seen the replies for the CA smog testing and how difficult it is.

It's up to you and your wallet.

Joe Rogan just did his for a six figure amount, so there's that.

93-94 are OBD1 and may be a bit easier, but the 95-97 version is already OBD2 and you MUST replace with an OBD2 engine and all the exhaust and other garb. I am in no sense an authority, I have just read many of this exact same question and have seen the replies for the CA smog testing and how difficult it is.

^^Pretty much this.^^ I've done about a dozen CA smog legal swap's. I priced out gas and diesel for mine. Doing it right 15k-20k easy, with me doing all the fab work. When your all done, good luck finding someone to work on it, if it has an issue more than something basic. If you do it correctly and it looks good, getting it certified is easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom