BudBuilt Skid Install (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just finished ours up yesterday. Huge thanks to @afgman786 and @CharlieS for the insight and write ups. For anyone that’s curious, this turned out to be about a 3 1/2 hour job for me by myself for the stage 4 aluminum. I have jack stands as well as ramps, but just chose to do it on the ground. I only used a floor jack to lower and raise the gas tank skids. Honestly, it couldn’t have gone smoother.

I spent about 15 minutes playing with the heat shield on the inside and outside of the tank skid and landed on the outside. I like the aesthetics better on the inside, but the outside provides a little bigger air gap between the shield and the tank.

I really don’t think I have much to add, other than how I trimmed the front factory heat shield. I used an air saw . You can pick them up at harbor freight for about $20 and honestly it’s one of the best purchases you can make for a do it yourselfer. It’s about a five minute job with the air saw.

Huge props to Bud and Rob for such a high quality and straight forward product offering :cheers:

CFCA208F-D321-4302-8640-8E945440923C.jpeg
395C31AB-FFE9-4140-8A84-D2EDC8EEE6D6.jpeg

When on "an easy" trail but misjudge a corner, feel the left side slip off as the ground gives way around a culvert...hear and feel the bang...but know you have this armor and BB sliders, it is a great feeling.

Cleaned off paint and primer. But ill take that anyday versus what it would have been with factory plating. Thumbs up @Taco2Cruiser

20200714_124443.jpg

did my install, and pretty easy. One question - on the transfer case skid, it looks like there is a bolt hole to connect the fuel skid nearest the front passenger tire; is it supposed to go through there? Tried calling Rob, but they are OOO this week. I noticed on some of the earlier installs, that bolt hole was not there.

See the pics I marked up from ozon8r.

EB514FCA-13B6-4DF8-B1C3-104FE49F97FE.jpeg

did my install, and pretty easy. One question - on the transfer case skid, it looks like there is a bolt hole to connect the fuel skid nearest the front passenger tire; is it supposed to go through there? Tried calling Rob, but they are OOO this week. I noticed on some of the earlier installs, that bolt hole was not there.

View attachment 2394877
I have an early release set and I'll check mine in am for you.

View attachment 2394877
Yes that is to connect the fuel tank skid to transfer skid. I did not bother putting that bolt thru cause of how tight the space was for me and no issues or rattling.

Thanks. Left that bolt out and I’ll see how it does

went back and looked through the pics - I can see the hole in the transfer skid in some of the other installs -just depends on the angle of the photo

Thanks to everyone while we got this up. As you guys have said, the skids are pretty easy to install, but here is a super detailed install video for everyone in the future.

I have Slee sliders and am planning on adding BB stage 4. Has anyone done that combination? Are there any modifications necessary? I also have TJM T13 front bumper but I have seen some 200s with the T13/BB combo so that must work OK. Mods/tweaks are fine, just trying to understand as much as I can before I dive in.

I have Slee sliders and am planning on adding BB stage 4. Has anyone done that combination? Are there any modifications necessary? I also have TJM T13 front bumper but I have seen some 200s with the T13/BB combo so that must work OK. Mods/tweaks are fine, just trying to understand as much as I can before I dive in.
The gas tank skid would be the only thing that might require some modification to work with sliders... If your sliders do not bolt to the bottom of the frame rail you're good to go. If they do, then the gas tank skid needs to be notched where it bolts to the frame rail.

BB skids are comparable with Slee sliders. I had Slee sliders originally, and then moved back to the East coast where I reconnected with Bud to make skids for my 200. So we know that combo works.

I also had an ARB front bumper already on my 200 before Bud got his hands on mine, and with the TJM T13 haveing the same full plate design, the skids works with that from the get go. I also put BB skids in a 200 with a T13 last year and there was nothing exciting to report about it.

Hope that helps.

It’s just a crappy harbor freight motorcycle lift jack. the 4 post is an advantage 9k that i can lift my F350 with (or put under the cars....)

Yes, it’s my personal shop. FWIW, really appreciate the build of Buds / Robs work.

Question......... had the oil changed at and independent Toyota shop and techs claim they can’t access drain plug without having the oil drain on them/skids..... of course they wouldn’t let me go back into service bay and see WTF they are talking about....... I’ll get it on my lift and look myself this weekend.

Any of you that have installed and have had an oil change chime in???? Seems like a load of BS to me Maybe my alignment was off a bit but I don’t see this

thanks.

Load of BS. But I do have the Bjowett filter housing and fumoto valves, so maybe easier in my case...

Question......... had the oil changed at and independent Toyota shop and techs claim they can’t access drain plug without having the oil drain on them/skids..... of course they wouldn’t let me go back into service bay and see WTF they are talking about....... I’ll get it on my lift and look myself this weekend.

Any of you that have installed and have had an oil change chime in???? Seems like a load of BS to me Maybe my alignment was off a bit but I don’t see this

thanks.
There's no problem getting to the drain plug when you remove the cover. But I did have it shoot all over my skids, I thought that happened because I changed the oil while it was still pretty warm

thanks.
There's no problem getting to the drain plug when you remove the cover. But I did have it shoot all over my skids, I thought that happened because I changed the oil while it was still pretty warm

100% true. I wish I’d done the Jowett housing and fumoto oil pan valve before the skids, but I didn’t. Luckily I only did the one change with the factory stuff. The 200 is the first Toyota I’ve had that lets the oil drain in a fan pattern rather than a well controlled stream.

All that said, I anticipated such a problem and simply rolled up a piece of cardboard and lined the drain hole in the skid plate prior to removing the bolt. It worked great and I only had to live through it once:beer:

Before I had fumoto valves, these form a funnel things were my go-to:

I had the same problem after my first oil change with bud skids installed.... oil went everywhere... planning to install fumoto valve next time around... I

I have the form a funnel for all the race bikes. Motorbike engineers love to hide the drain plug. This really seemed like a moron tech combined with an Indy shop that detests anything non-standard.

desk clerk kept telling me that I should cut a bigger space for them. The whole time I’m thinking “did you use a funnel? Or just unscrew drain bolt and wondered what was going to happen???”

motor was pretty warm which could have added to the problem - both with the oil flowing and temp and attitude of tech.
I’ll do it myself next time to see how it goes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom