Broken Speedometer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 71 FJ40. The speedometer wasn't working when I bought it but the seller said it just needed a new cable, which he provided. Well, it turns out the cable was fine, but the fitting at the instrument cluster was not. The plastic fitting that you thread the speedometer cable into is cracked so the cable will not stay connected. Looking online, I can't find a replacement instrument cluster or speedometer for a 1971. Any suggestions?

I was going to suggest posting a wanted thread here in the classifieds:

Have a new fitting printed?

Is there some place I can send it to get it printed? It would have to be a really hard plastic as it has a metal piece threading into it. I noticed in some photos of used instrument panels that some of the connectors were metal rather than plastic. Wish mine was... I thought of cementing the cable into the fitting using JB Weld but then I really would be hosed if it didn't hold.

Like this?
16817766866749156981095962528284.jpg

While you searching for a replacement I would try a hose clamp over the end. A single wrap of Teflon tape on the cable end. Wouldn't over tighten the clamp and finish breaking the end.

While you searching for a replacement I would try a hose clamp over the end. A single wrap of Teflon tape on the cable end. Wouldn't over tighten the clamp and finish breaking the end.
Good idea. I tried the hose clamp but it still popped out.

Well, I'm at an impasse. I've replaced the speedometer in the cluster and gave the connection on the rear a turn to make sure the needle would move. I replaced the cable from the instrument cluster to the transmission. Took the truck out for a spin and still no movement on the speedometer. Is the next step to replace the gear at the transmission? If so, where can I buy one and are they all the same for 1971?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom