Brakes went out...for about 1/2 mile. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ40JOHN

SILVER Star
Threads
Driving home from work today when my brake pedal hit the floor with no resistance as was coming up to a red light. Fortunately I was able to swing into a different lane and slow down before the light. Managed to get home (last half mile safely.

Checked my fluid and it was right on the minimum. Checked the pedal and it was fine. Drove to the parts store, and brakes were fine the whole way. Topped off the fluid anyway, and plan to keep driving.

Any thoughts on the sudden and short lived failure?

Lucky indeed! Did the brake light on the dash come on at all?
Make sure the wire connection at the bottom of the fluid reservoir is attached.

Make sure you bench bleed the brake master cylinder and bleed out the bubbles from your lines too. Starting with the furthest tire away from you master cylinder.

MC is ordered. Hoping to get it done this evening.

Think the booster is ok?

MC is installed. Fluid certainly look's better now.

Still need to bleed, but bench bled the MC, so hopefully it is quick.

Happy anniversary to my wife, who gets to pump the brakes for me!

Happened to me in burnaby. Stopped at light brake to fire wall. I think its the seal that just gives out in the master. I would recommend a new master every ten years of driving it.

Happened to me in burnaby. Stopped at light brake to fire wall. I think its the seal that just gives out in the master. I would recommend a new master every ten years of driving it.

Keeps you on your toes, doesn't it?

Drive it to work this morning, braking very early, trying to get a feel for it.

Hate changing a single component like this. I probably need a full brake job.

It would also be advisable to replace the slave cylinders. water gets into the cast iron causes corrosion and its like sand paper to the seals.

don't forget the soft lines...everyone forgets the soft lines till they deteriorate...how are those brakes holding up after the master? Keep your rears adjusted, btw...those dictate the amount of pedal travel...

Functional, but the pedal is still soft. I'm going back to bleeding because they pump up fine. Borrowed a pneumatic bleeder from a mechanic buddy, hoping that speeds things up.

Not driving anymore until I get it sorted. Brakes are on the list, but my motor issues have moved them down. Hoping to do the 4runner upgrades and new SS lines.

Bleed order is LR, RR LF, RF

dYNO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom