Brake rotors, how robust to shipping abuse? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Why slam on the brakes? If you bleed with techstream the way they were designed it actuates every solenoid and passage with fluid in series and makes sure it is happy. Do not rely on slamming your brakes unless you just want to warp rotors for no reason.

Why slam on the brakes? If you bleed with techstream the way they were designed it actuates every solenoid and passage with fluid in series and makes sure it is happy. Do not rely on slamming your brakes unless you just want to warp rotors for no reason.

I am suggesting a way to do it when you don't have techstream available. You're not going to warp your rotors by making a few hard stops and activating the ABS. I have been using the manual technique for years on various ABS equipped cars, trucks and even my motorcycle with no ill effects.

If you have the Techstream software available then it's a no brainer to utilize it. I have two 22+ year old Lexus vehicles and have not had the need to get the software. The GX460 is no different.

*a few hard stops* I have had brand new rotors warp on a few hard stops with their break in instructions due to the size of the tire and amount of heat generated in the cycling. Just make sure a few is a few. That's all I am saying.

*a few hard stops* I have had brand new rotors warp on a few hard stops with their break in instructions due to the size of the tire and amount of heat generated in the cycling. Just make sure a few is a few. That's all I am saying.

Being a heavy vehicle I can see why to use caution for sure. With new brakes I would take it down a notch or three when bedding in the pads.

The GX has the worst braking performance of any Cruiser I've owned. I've flushed and bled, and still... My '04 with OEM rotors was a close second. My '00 with cross-drilled and slotted rotors was awesome, so I decided to go that route now since I've got some warp going on and need new rotors anyway. Absolutely no one locally carries slotted, cross-drilled rotors for the GX, at least the Power Stop brand anyway. I've got a rear caliper that needs replaced as well, and since I'm waiting, I just went ahead and returned these and re-ordered from a different vendor. This was actually the second attempt at getting the from Amazon, first time they shipped wrong part number (some relaly nice 5-stud Jeep ones, though), and this time they didn't even leave the warehouse in the OEM box, so who knows what the history is on this set. UPS very well could have let them slide around and out... Anyway, 4Wheel Parts Warehouse price wasn't too much higher, and they "only" had to ship them from Denver, and they'll be here on Tuesday.

:meh:
New rotors and pads on. Brakes way better, at least for the first 10 miles...
20220618_134118.jpg

How do they feel!

I actually like those rotors. Not too many holes and slots. These might not be bad for off road. And boy those 4 piston calipers are beefy looking. I will tell you this rig probably stops faster than my 2 piston caliper front/drum brake rear truck!!

• Haha
Reactions: r2m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom