Brake caliper piston boot unseated (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When compressing the pistons to install new pads, some of the boots got folded out/unseated. I tried sticking it back down but couldn't get it all the way. Perhaps I need a different tool. The best thing I could think of that I figured wouldn't damage the boot/seal was the small red tube that comes with brake cleaner. But that didn't seem to be quite narrow enough. Wondering if this is an issue or if it will sort itself out when reinstall them on the truck?

PXL_20230725_053217947.jpg

PXL_20230725_053156290(1).jpg

Hard to tell for sure in the pic, but it looks torn. If it was mine, I'd either get a caliper kit or just replace the caliper. Especially in your climate. It won't be long and they will be siezing up.

The pistons are held in by friction basically. They will come right out of the bore. There is a seal in the caliper bore that does the sealing and that rubber boot is to keep debris and water off the sealing surface.

The pistons are held in by friction basically. They will come right out of the bore. There is a seal in the caliper bore that does the sealing and that rubber boot is to keep debris and water off the sealing surface.
So would it work to pop the piston out and reinsert it fixing the outer boot?

It's been a while since I've done any. I thought there was a groove in the piston that the edge of the boot went in. I don't remember ever having to pop the piston out to get it into that groove.

Popping it out would put it way out there so the boot would have to reach it. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try?

Hard to tell for sure in the pic, but it looks torn. If it was mine, I'd either get a caliper kit or just replace the caliper. Especially in your climate. It won't be long and they will be siezing up.
Oh wow, I didn't realize assembled calipers were that cheap. Just looked on rockauto and looks like I can replace both for $100. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom