Bought a totaled '97 with front and rear lockers, have many questions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought a totaled '97 special edition for parts. I basically just needed the front end, but I noticed it is a factory lockers car.

How would I go about swapping the lockers over to my '96 Lx450?

Are there any other parts that would be worth swapping over?

If nothing else, how much do the diffs go for?

Thanks again!
Kmnjh

The LX generally has the rear locker harness, that and having the donor rig, makes it a pretty easy, bolt on, plug in swap.

The LX generally has the rear locker harness, that and having the donor rig, makes it a pretty easy, bolt on, plug in swap.
That's great! Is there anything else on there that would be worth parting out before taking it to the scrapper?

That's great! Is there anything else on there that would be worth parting out before taking it to the scrapper?

Yes, lots. Pics and condition........

Then, how much are you willing to tear stuff apart for all the vultures and PITA people here?

Yes, lots. Pics and condition........

Then, how much are you willing to tear stuff apart for all the vultures and PITA people here?
Can't take pics right, at work. But the driver side from the fender back is completely smooshed, but pretty much no damage on the rest of the truck.

What are the tickets items I should be taking off and posting tonight?

It varies by day, but interior parts, engine, transmission, transfer case, DS, interior door cards, headliner and all trim, sunroof, wheels, and on and on.

The only things folks DON'T usually buy are: Factory (port installed) hitch, roof rack, and running boards.

The headlights and grille components and bumper components are specific to the Lexus and you should keep the stuff there that's good.

It varies by day, but interior parts, engine, transmission, transfer case, DS, interior door cards, headliner and all trim, sunroof, wheels, and on and on.

The only things folks DON'T usually buy are: Factory (port installed) hitch, roof rack, and running boards.

The headlights and grille components and bumper components are specific to the Lexus and you should keep the stuff there that's good.
If I end up selling the lockers, what's a fair price?

If I end up selling the lockers, what's a fair price?

Depends on the condition and mileage. Unless someone has a vehicle that already has locking diffs and was wanting replacement parts...then what most folks would be looking for would be the parts to convert a NON-locked cruiser into a triple locked.

Which would require complete front and rear axles (with lockers), the ECU and whatever harnesses necessary.

It is 'possible' to convert a non-locker axle housing to accept a locker...but its not much fun and few people would be willing to do that.

IF you intend to sell both axles (complete) along with the other components (harnesses, etc) as a package deal, then you could put it all on a big pallet and let the buyer arrange for the shipping (truck freight).

But consider that depending upon the condition of the front axle...it might need to be 'freshened up' by the buyer (Brakes, seals, birfield inspection, wheel bearings, etc...). Personally, I wouldn't put a used axle under my truck until it had been 'base-lined'.

Also be CERTAIN that neither axle housing is bent. You'd have one angry purchaser if that turned out to be the case.

The seller's "fair" often corresponds with the buyer's "rip-off".:)

Especially around here.:rofl:

The seller's "fair" often corresponds with the buyer's "rip-off".:)

Especially around here.:rofl:

Oh....but you haven't been on a Studebaker forum.......where the average age is 70+ and everything is WAY too expensive...then nitpicking about whether or not it was "original"...

This place is pretty loose and understanding comparatively....

CASO = Cheap Assed Studebaker Owner. A marque-claimed badge of honor that they all enjoy. Yes, I am a card-carrying member.....

Rear Hatch especially if it is white and I can't reasonable fix my tear drop rust. ;) People like good seat belts too, like they said above the good used parts are worth the effort.

Oh....but you haven't been on a Studebaker forum.......where the average age is 70+ and everything is WAY too expensive...then nitpicking about whether or not it was "original"...

This place is pretty loose and understanding comparatively....

CASO = Cheap Assed Studebaker Owner. A marque-claimed badge of honor that they all enjoy. Yes, I am a card-carrying member.....
Studebaker should have invented the Land Cruiser. They certainly had the means to do so. Yet they made the Studebaker, instead ;)

I would tell those duffers to pound sand and tell them to pony up with the pension payments. :flipoff2:

That said, I wouldn't pay anything for the axles. If I needed lockers, I wouldn't install those anyway and the hassle it would be to switch everything over to fit on a '93-'94 would be too much of a hassle. I would rather sell Dorothy and buy her replacement with lockers already installed.

I would take whatever is left of the driver's front fender lower portion if you want to cut if off to help me out though. It can be smashed a little, I will bang it out:)

Depends on the condition and mileage. Unless someone has a vehicle that already has locking diffs and was wanting replacement parts...then what most folks would be looking for would be the parts to convert a NON-locked cruiser into a triple locked.

Which would require complete front and rear axles (with lockers), the ECU and whatever harnesses necessary.

It is 'possible' to convert a non-locker axle housing to accept a locker...but its not much fun and few people would be willing to do that.

IF you intend to sell both axles (complete) along with the other components (harnesses, etc) as a package deal, then you could put it all on a big pallet and let the buyer arrange for the shipping (truck freight).

But consider that depending upon the condition of the front axle...it might need to be 'freshened up' by the buyer (Brakes, seals, birfield inspection, wheel bearings, etc...). Personally, I wouldn't put a used axle under my truck until it had been 'base-lined'.

Also be CERTAIN that neither axle housing is bent. You'd have one angry purchaser if that turned out to be the case.
This guy axles...

Studebaker should have invented the Land Cruiser. They certainly had the means to do so. Yet they made the Studebaker, instead ;)

I would tell those duffers to pound sand and tell them to pony up with the pension payments. :flipoff2:

That said, I wouldn't pay anything for the axles. If I needed lockers, I wouldn't install those anyway and the hassle it would be to switch everything over to fit on a '93-'94 would be too much of a hassle. I would rather sell Dorothy and buy her replacement with lockers already installed.

I would take whatever is left of the driver's front fender lower portion if you want to cut if off to help me out though. It can be smashed a little, I will bang it out:)

Actually, they DID invent the Land Cruiser.......
Studebaker Land Cruiser - Wikipedia

All them old duffers get all sorts of bent and argue about the most petty things........ And there are days I think Pirate is better than there.....

Nothing comes close to 'Mud though.....

Straight Coke is bad for you. It needs to be thinned-out with Jack Daniels.:)

Um,

Studebaker Land Cruiser - Wikipedia

EDIT:

Damn, he beat me to it.:doh:
What were the chances that out of all of the defunct car manufactures, Studebaker would be the only one that could claim that fame? Dammit!

Seems odd that I never heard this before, but I am going to trust these sources and admit to learning something new today. Awesome:)

The models were The Commander and The President. Jaysus, that is some American steel. I bet they cruised the land nicely. Probably a lot of rutty roads and dangerous intersections. I bet that thing had suspect brakes after 40,000 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom