Bought a non running 94 fzj80 need help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The code coming back on as soon as you turn it to start but haven't started the engine yet sounds like some shorted wires. Otherwise there shouldn't be a single code if you've reset the ECU properly until you've started it.

The code coming back on as soon as you turn it to start but haven't started the engine yet sounds like some shorted wires. Otherwise there shouldn't be a single code if you've reset the ECU properly until you've started it.

Talked to the Toyota tech he said to start by spraying the plug wires with water to see if spark is jumping between wires. I suspected spark jumping but doubt that's the issue. Mostly though
he said to check the wires between the distributor and the ECM for resistance. I'm going to go one further and checking between wires for shorting.

This forum has welcomed me and been more helpful than I could have hoped for. I was a jeep crawler owner before and frequented the jeep forums helping others. I learned and figured out almost every common issue with any pre 91 jeep 4.0 running linex and learned most other complicated issues by trial and error. I figured out the overheating problems early on and helped over 60 people directly resolve the problem that I know of. On jeep forums no one was as receiving or helpful as you guys. Out of those forums I never received this level of knowledge or honesty. For this I solute you and thank you for your help, knowledge and love for FJs. I look forward to learning more about my new FJ to be able to help out in the future.

i would also bet its a bad engine harness. i have seen it too many times. i keep a spare OBDI and II harness in the shop just because of that. it can be removed, repaired and reinstalled in a weekend.

Did you download a Factory Service Manual yet? They are pretty good with diagnostic information and checks. After you've visually checked the harness at the EGR valve, (replace the heat shield wrap with new stuff) and checked where it passes through the firewall, I'd go through and check the terminals of the harness where it connects to the back of the ECU. The FSM gives you values you can test for.

Hey Man, I'm at work today. I've got a 94 and I have the paper version of the FSM in the back seat here in the parking lot. Let me know if you need anything out of there. Id be happy to help. I know my EGR/wiring had been done (repaired and heat wrapped) prior to me buying my Rig for an issue muck like you described. Good luck!! :beer:

You can see in this pic where the damage occurred on my vehicle.
20160903_081949.jpg

You might consider verifying injector operation.

Tested wiring between distributor and ECM .2 ohms looking like it may be a bad ECM. Wiggled the harness everywhere I could get to it and no change in resistance. The trouble code 12 is loss of signal from distributor.

Anyone in the Sacramento area have an ECM I can use for diagnosis? I want to buy one but I'm getting tired of throwing money at it.

@916rockcrusher pay shipping both ways from 97478 and I will send you my spare. If it fixes your running issue you can buy it from me or just send it back to me and get a different one.

Did you download a Factory Service Manual yet? They are pretty good with diagnostic information and checks. After you've visually checked the harness at the EGR valve, (replace the heat shield wrap with new stuff) and checked where it passes through the firewall, I'd go through and check the terminals of the harness where it connects to the back of the ECU. The FSM gives you values you can test for.

Where do I find the FSM? I added it to my aldata but it's the most incomplete I've seen from aldata

Hey Man, I'm at work today. I've got a 94 and I have the paper version of the FSM in the back seat here in the parking lot. Let me know if you need anything out of there. Id be happy to help. I know my EGR/wiring had been done (repaired and heat wrapped) prior to me buying my Rig for an issue muck like you described. Good luck!! :beer:
Do you have the trouble code section? From what I'm reading it appears to be code 12. One short flash followed by 2. If it is in fact 12 does the manual have any info on testing or diagnosis? New distributor in working order and good wiring between ECM and distributor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom