Bosch primer pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Will this pump work in the 13bt as well? When I pump mine, with little effort, with the filter bleeder closed it squirts fuel all over my hand. Time for the Bosch replacement? Also I couldn't find lostmarbles write up on the primer, could someone point me in the right direction?

I believe it will work on a 13BT.

Maybe this is the "write-up" referred to:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tec...mercedes-models-share-our-primer-pumps-2.html

Trouble is .......... someone has removed the bulk of the images from this thread and in doing so has destroyed much of its usefulness. (I certainly didn't remove them. .....If I had .... I'd have left evidence there showing that my posts had been "edited". So the image-removal has occurred internally through ih8mud. But perhaps a glitch occurred rather than it being a deliberate act???? Who knows? The missing images showed exactly what was wrong with the construction of an OEM-lookalike primer I bought off aussi eBay - and other useful things too.)

Bugger them!

Who-ever removed the images from my posts in that thread will have to do so again in this thread (if it was indeed a deliberate act).

This is the construction of the OEM primer (hacksawed-open):

PrimerOEM3.jpg

You can see the quality of the "seal" incorporated in it.

This is the construction of the cr@p I bought from a well-thought-of-seller on eBay:

PrimeEbay.jpg

You can see it has just a piddly O-ring for a seal. (No wonder it leaks readily!)

And this is the construction of a Bosch primer:

PrimerInternals.jpg

Lucky I still keep a lot of the images on my home computer that I've uploaded to MUD in the past.
PrimerOEM3.jpg
PrimeEbay.jpg
PrimerInternals.jpg

Some other useful images (some of which were mysteriously removed from the aforementioned thread too):

Primer1.jpg

Primer2.jpg

Primer3.jpg

(A picture is worth a thousand words as they say...... and I truly believe this .... which is why I usually dump a lot of pictures in my threads.)
Primer1.jpg
Primer2.jpg
Primer3.jpg

Wow...thanks for those cutaway pics of the pumps, Lostmarbles! I bought my primer pump from Roodogs a while ago, before I found out that their pumps weren't as good. Luckily for me, mine seems to pump very well and I have no leaks (yet)...when it does, I'll know what to replace it with.

:beer:

I also just recently replaced my OEM priming pump with the Bosch 2 447 222 126 pump and it works a treat. No leaks, no need to twist-lock it and it feels very sturdy while pumping.
...And i can still slide the OEM plastic cover over it to make it look stock. :cool:

You can see the quality of the "seal" incorporated in it.

This is the construction of the cr@p I bought from a well-thought-of-seller on eBay:

View attachment 402105

You can see it has just a piddly O-ring for a seal. (No wonder it leaks readily!)

What does the Toyota pump look like inside?

Im not going into bat for roodogs,but a primer pump should only need to be used once or twice a year when you change a filter or run out of fuel.
I hear of some owners furiously pumping away each morning trying to get air leaks out when they would be better off solving the root of the problem.
Their primer pumps have done 20 years work in a week

What does the Toyota pump look like inside?

That first pump (hacksawed open) IS the original one supplied by Toyota (although it is probably made by Denso) Rosco.

....Im not going into bat for roodogs....

I was trying to avoid using the name of the eBay store. But ...yes...it was Roodogs. And they are worth "going into bat for" in my opinion!

I run a Roodogs-supplied non-Toyota clutch master and slave cylnders and I probably run other stuff of theirs too. And it is clear to me that they backup what they sell with good customer service.

So I'm simply knocking a product (with sound evidence to back up my criticism) rather than knocking a seller. They have a massive eBay store and do their best to stock a wide-range of landcruiser parts at reasonable prices. It is unreasonable for someone to expect every product there (applicable to their vehicle) to be ideally suited to their needs.

I just like to warn similarly-minded-people (read "anal" if you like) that this primer is inferior to some others on the market. And I think MUD is here primarily for us all to help each other exactly like this.

...but a primer pump should only need to be used once or twice a year when you change a filter or run out of fuel.
I hear of some owners furiously pumping away each morning trying to get air leaks out when they would be better off solving the root of the problem.
Their primer pumps have done 20 years work in a week

It doesn't take "a lot of use" to get these "O-ring seal primers" to drip Rosco. On a well-maintained truck, I'd bet money that they'd drip when they're used the very next time after installation (ie. at the second fuel-filter change).

But having said this.... I also acknowledge quite a few people would be unconcerned with seeing a few drips of diesel fuel on those rare occasions when they need to operate their primer during normal fuel-filter replacement.

:cheers:

On a well-maintained truck, I'd bet money that they'd drip when they're used the very next time after installation (ie. at the second fuel-filter change).

You would have lost money on my Roodogs pump...it didn't leak. :D But like I said earlier...I appreciate you taking the time to post up those pictures...and the next time I need a primer pump, I'll get a Bosch or Denso rather than take a chance at another Ebay special.

It doesn't take "a lot of use" to get these "O-ring seal primers" to drip Rosco. On a well-maintained truck, I'd bet money that they'd drip when they're used the very next time after installation (ie. at the second fuel-filter change).

But having said this.... I also acknowledge quite a few people would be unconcerned with seeing a few drips of diesel fuel on those rare occasions when they need to operate their primer during normal fuel-filter replacement.

Ive never seen the originals leaks when in good condition,Im guessing the replacement ,inc toyotas are not as good as those originally fitted.
I cant stand leaks ,it would be in the bin the day it leaked on my landcruiser.
For the price,I would go with the bosch too;)

Is this primer pump interchangeable with the 3B and 2H?

Is it possible to block it off and use the later type pump on the filter like the 1HZ 1HD T?

Is it?

Reading Lostmarbles write up on this matter (very well done and useful, BTW), got me under the impression they are interchangeable.

Can someone confirm this?

THX

MJ

are they interchangeable?

Really would appreciate if someone could confirm if the primer pump is the same on a 3B and a 2H.

I need to replace mine on my 2H and would like to know what bosch part number I should be ordering.

THX

MJ

Really would appreciate if someone could confirm if the primer pump is the same on a 3B and a 2H.

I need to replace mine on my 2H and would like to know what bosch part number I should be ordering.

THX

MJ

The B 3B and 2H primer pump share the same part* 22501-77021

Oops!

Works on my 2H

:doh: Just saw the post from FrankJames stating a 3B primer will work on his 2H... Sorry 'bout that...

The B 3B and 2H primer pump share the same part* 22501-77021

Thanks much anyways Rosco! That would be the Toyota part #, right? So I guess I'll be looking for a Bosch 2 447 222 126 to replace mine.

Thx

MJ

I'm just about to put a Bosch primer pump on my 3B, will I need to bleed the pump/filter after install?

I'm assuming so, but figured I'd ask...maybe save a step.

-H-

Unless you're very lucky (and don't let any air in) ... you will indeed have to bleed the air out afterwards.

I'll talk to Neil about the pumps he's selling and see what else he can come up with (re: Roodogs).

The Bosch pumps - and other "name brands" - need to be made in a reputable first world country. I have sold Febi Germany pumps- they say "Germany" right on the pumps, but the boxes say "India" - and they are definitely NOT German-made. They have about an 80% failure rate.

The real Austrian-made Bosch units are a little more expensive, but are of FAR better quality.

So, check the country of origin on these particular parts very carefully.

~John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom