Builds Bored and building a 02 Sequoia (mild Build) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1 BAD SOB! I like it a lot. This part of FL is s*** for off road, I'm jealous. Not to mention Orlando is a real city.

OK... I am heading to GSMTR 2011 tom. and will be posting a ton of pics and videos... FINALLY getting her out of the back yard, and cleaned up for a run. The front Suspension has been re-worked (tucked in really nice, and VERY dialed in for flex), along with a few other neat little mods. Please stay tuned.

should be a blast. BTW, I am running the 37" TSL's on this run, but when I get back to Fl. I have a fresh set of Michelin 38" XMR's getting slapped on:):)

I like what you are doing with your Tree, I have just taken over driving our Tree and have starting dreaming about what i can do with it.

Wish I was making GSMTR to meet you and see the rig you inspired me as well to do something with ours when the wife is done with it. We made it to the event last year and had a great time. The park has huge potential and should be even better this year. Safe travels to you and look forward to seeing some pics from the event :cheers:

Last edited:
Saw your truck headed north on 95 early Saturday morning (5/14)...lookin' good!

Awesome, cant wait for the pictures, and video. You still going to link the front end? Did you consider any other axles when doing your swap? Have fun, I am anxiously awaiting some more inspiration photos.

OK,,, GSMTR was a BLAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was a blast partying with all the clubs.... The SUckohyea, held together REALLY well. Did most the trails (and when it got tough, I did the bypasses) Didnt put a wrench on her the whole time... Pushed her pretty hard. I will be downloading the vids today, and dropping them on Youtube. THe pics will be up today also. 1 deep scrape on the pass rear door :):):) ALso got some close ups on the suspension at full flex Front and rear for those that are interested. VERY HAPPY with the suspension on AND off the trail, rids like a cadillac..

I offered a guy to drive it on the trail, to get another opinion about how she performs, but he didnt (although, I almost forced him against his will HAHAHA)

If she gets me back to Florida with no issues, I will be impressed.

Coming from a Buggy build (the trail slut) and continuously working on my new buggy, I will say, This has probably been the most fun I have had wheeling a 4 door family type of Toyota.

I went EVERYWHERE the 80 series went + some.............. Went up several trails, and obstacles that a few 80's and a couple 60's bailed on :):):):) Not to talk s*** (cause I love all brands of Toyota) but it did hit some harder trails that a few guys bailed on. Just sayin' :cheers:

For the above question,,,, I went with Ford axles because they are a cheap (dime a dozen) axle, and they are tough as dog s***... and the WMS measured out perfectly for the Sequoia, the gear and locker selection is endless, and if you break your s*** on the trail, the parts are READILY available anywhere:) Please watch the vids, and let me know what you think... THis is the first Sequoia build EVER with a SAS, that is NOT a show truck (built for the rocks and long highway runs) I would def. like to hear opinions.

Thanks again for all the comments, and look forward to running into you on the trail.:beer:

GSMTR 2011 pics of the suckohyea :)

DL'ing the vids now
gsmtr1.jpg
gsmtr4.jpg
gsmtr5.jpg

I can't find the videos. Did you change the front shackle design, it looks different than before. It truly is an awesome build!! Did you keep the stock transfer case? How did you deal with A-TRAC, VSC and all those other useless electronics? Thanks for all the info, still saving my pennies to do a similiar build.

Hi, YEs, The vids ran into a snag, and I havent had the time to rectify it yet, but soon... Yes, as of now, it is the stock transfer case (shockingly) all the crap I have put the truck through, I figured it would have failed, but it is hanging in there (go Toyota) If/When it fails I will be going with the InchWorm 4/1 Tcase "lefty" I think it is called. THe stock VSC/ ATRAC have all been unplugged and disconnected, and the bulbs have been pulled from behind the dash.

Yes, THe front end was reworked with some new flexy springs, and the shackles were cut down to get them out of the ground. the setup works FLAWLESSLY, little to no axle wrap up front, with gobs of flex, with NO binding of anything. VERY happy with the leaf spring set up. ALSO< THe rear end was deleafed by 1 leaf for added flex and better ride. It is truely a comfy vehicle to drive on the streets and trail. THere is NO banging or grinding OR ANY NOISE from teh suspension when you are flexing over rocks.

Being that this rig has Detroits front and rear, it is nice to just flick the Center Diff button to disconnect the front diff,, It makes the rig VERY turnable on the trails... Thanks for inquiry's

BTW... If anyone wants to do this to a SUKOHYEA I have all the info/part#'s/ measurements/ leaf configuration/ and misc parts you will need to pull off this amazing SAS...

BTW... If anyone wants to do this to a SUKOHYEA I have all the info/part#'s/ measurements/ leaf configuration/ and misc parts you will need to pull off this amazing SAS...

:cheers: I'll ceratinly take what you have, Thanks. I've had this in mind for ours.

PM me your email address, I got all the info and parts needed to pull it off. YOU WILL BE AMAZED HOW CHEAP IT IS TO PULL THIS OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just find a good set of Ford 1 ton axles WITH the leaf springs and brakes (make SURE the front axle is a DANA 60 not the Dana 50!!!!!!), and I have a list of the all parts you need to make it happen. Just a good bit of labor and a ton of beers, and BAM, you got a SAS'ed SUK. I could do another one (now that I know all the tweaks) in about 3 days tops. I would enjoy seeing another SAS'ed Sukohyea out on the trail, cause I am the only one:)

PM me your email address, I got all the info and parts needed to pull it off. YOU WILL BE AMAZED HOW CHEAP IT IS TO PULL THIS OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just find a good set of Ford 1 ton axles WITH the leaf springs and brakes (make SURE the front axle is a DANA 60 not the Dana 50!!!!!!), and I have a list of the all parts you need to make it happen. Just a good bit of labor and a ton of beers, and BAM, you got a SAS'ed SUK. I could do another one (now that I know all the tweaks) in about 3 days tops. I would enjoy seeing another SAS'ed Sukohyea out on the trail, cause I am the only one:)

Thanks :cheers:, will PM you shortly. I had a few Louisiana folks taking some pics for me at GSMTR, Mike said you offered him to drive it. Figure I have a year to gather the parts before the wife will push for a new Highlander and I'll take over the Sukohyea it has 200K and runs like a champ. I figure it'll be time for it to see some adventure. I've been following your thread since the start and had similar in mind except the wife wouldn't let me touch it :meh:
DSC00586.jpg

NICE What a great platform to build from.... Silver Suckohyea is going to look SWEET on a SAS... I cant wait for you to torch off the front IFS and get started. Hell,,,, you buy my plane ticket, and feed me plenty of beers, I will come and help torch/weld and set it up etc.etc. :popcorn:

Sorry. fellas. I have been SLAMMED at the office. Here is a vid from GSMTR 2011 (landcruiser event) last month in Tenn. Here is a vid of the Suckohyea going up Elevator pass. I have more vids, but Have not had enough time to DL them. I have a few more vids that are more "extreme" with a a good flexy rock garden runs etc., with some new rock rash on the passenger side of the truck.

Great Smoky Mountain Trail Ride - UC - 2011 :: GSMTR2011023.mp4 video by jasonmfree - Photobucket

Very cool vid, my oldest daughter who is 11 thought it was sweet. We are planning a run up to LBL one day to toy around a little.

AWESOME!! Your rear bumper worked perfectly. Great video, and nice driving. Keep posting pics and video for us poor unfortunate souls who are still driving IFS Sequoias. Keep our dreams alive.

Thanks. The vid doesnt really show the justice to how steep it was.. There were some haters of the rear bumper, (mainly from people nit picking the rig) b ut after a few 80 series rigs ripped off 16" of sheetmetal, and a rear tail light, THEN I rolled through and the bumper worked flawlessly with NO damage, they changed there opinion:)

Pilot,

Sent you a PM requesting the specs and I know you've obviously been busy. I have an 04 Sequoia with only about 65k miles that I'd love to build up. All the mods maintenance and repairs I've been pouring into a pair of 80s seems like it might be better directed to the Sequoia that my wife and daughter love and they're only (barely) tepid on the 80s.

Your rear bumper was clearly the right design for that trail segment in the video but I still cringe when I hear the contact!

Thanks for sharing.

Brad

I am so sorry, man, i just checked my PM's I will get that info to you soon. VERY SORRY>?>>> Stoked that you are going to SAS a Suchohyea, at least I wont be the only one sportin a SAS sequoia. LOL working on the info now to all that responded on the parts list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom