Bolt on turbo kit (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It is my thinking that the low pressure under the vehicle's engine bay is much greater at speed, which is why you see a reversal in pressure with the hood vents. Hood vents for us being beneficial at a crawl or idle...
That's very possible, too.

Either way...
vents = more air flow through engine bay = cooler temperatures in engine compartment = I'm happy

The HVAC intake is at the base of the windshield (cowl) because it is a high pressure region. If it was low pressure, the blower would be working a lot harder to draw in outside air.

I would like to see that smoke test differently. If they would introduce it under the hood would most of it come out through the vents or would we see it blowing under and out the back, out the wheel wells etc.

given what we’re talking about and that I’m happy with my level of cooling from the center vent, I’ll be selling the pair of side vents from the trackspec full kit.

This is probably the audience that has the most interest since turbos are feeling HOT, HOT, HOT.

PM if interested, I’ll have a classified post up later tonight.

I am finally rolling around testing out the turbo setup. Just have my pizza cutters on because it cant roll in and out of the garage with the 40's while I clean up some body work. I dont think it will happen with the 40;s on but it is fun to chirp the tires on the 1 - 2 shift right now. Truck has never been able to do that before! Also have not wired in any gauges yet so no clue how much boost I am making but it certainly feels faster. Real test will be if I can maintain highway speeds with the big boys rolling through the mountains!

While vented hoods are being discussed I am debating putting on the vented hood I built but curious if anyone with a vented hood is in a snowy or rainy climate. Und the hood is certainly way hotter than before but am concerned putting the vented hood will let too much moisture in and cause issues with freezing and thawing over the winter. we have wild swings here from -30c to +30c which is the only time I think I could benefit from the hood . worried what it might do with the harness and fuel / spark plug / sensors underneath the vents.

I've had my louvers for a little less than two years and they've been fine through snow and rain but I live in the Southwest U.S. I get moisture on top of the air filter canister and some over the ABS area, no biggy in either case.

1659274863585.png
1659275011792.png

While vented hoods are being discussed I am debating putting on the vented hood I built but curious if anyone with a vented hood is in a snowy or rainy climate. Und the hood is certainly way hotter than before but am concerned putting the vented hood will let too much moisture in and cause issues with freezing and thawing over the winter. we have wild swings here from -30c to +30c which is the only time I think I could benefit from the hood . worried what it might do with the harness and fuel / spark plug / sensors underneath the vents.

I’ll try to get a pic up of a scoop that I think would help let out heat, but minimal water would go in - it would mount directly over the turbo facing backward.

The lower lip of the opening is connected, so rain/snow melt wouldn’t drip in, esp if you used foam gasket tape or RTV. If I was worried, I could leave a little flap of the hood skin at the rear& bend it up ~5/16”.

The stock car it came from it mounted forward but it had a underside driptray that used 4 nuts to the scoop studs with the hood sandwiched in between.
Opening is ~7/8”T x 6 1/2”W

It mounted on the LS forward, so mounted RS facing windshield would make the top edge of scoop level as if it was meant for the 80 hood.

Turbo update...

I wanted to write this two months ago but I got horribly sick for weeks and its taken me forever to just play catch up with regular orders, much less turbos. There has been a crazy amount of crap going on in the background with these kits. But as I’ve mentioned many times before I will not bother posting until there is information worth sharing. I also want to remind folks that I will generally ignore any turbo inquiries until there is information to give AND I will always post for EVERYONE to see here. No more games of telephone where things are taken out of context.

No turbos have shipped in two months. It’s been horrible. I was ready to slam a bunch out and all hell hit. I have three kits that need to go out to those whom I’ve already contacted. I have one that went to the wrong address and THANKFULLY was returned to me. So that’s four that will be heading out over the next week, since I’m STILL playing catch up.

As frustrated as all of you are that are STILL waiting, trust me I am more frustrated that I don’t have ready kits to send out. I want these gone and out of my life. Over the next two weeks I will be contacting the next seven folks on the list. If you are not contacted it means you are in the next batch. I will post here when those emails go out. Simple as that.

Now for those that keep asking where you are in line…I’m still not going to have a solid answer for you. The reason is simple: as of right now there are FOUR people that have pushed out their delivery dates. It was two, then six, then four. I don’t know why but they push delivery to the next person. This is fine but it really screws up delivery WHEN they all of a sudden say they are ready for their kit once. This pushed everyone up one. Now that guy at the end of the batch who thought he was getting it is now pushed to the next batch because the guy before him is ready. Everything is decided by your position. So when I am asked “where am I in line?” my answer is I DON’T KNOW. It can change. So I will let you know the moment you are getting yours and its when there is no chance of getting bumped. Perhaps I shouldn’t have done this from the start but it was the only fair way I could think of.

How do you get a turbo going forward if you haven’t already paid for one? The only way is buying a kit from someone who is selling theirs or by buying someone else’s spot. I have people all the time selling their spot. I think I’ve switched out easily ten since the beginning of the year.

So here are the goings on as of right now:

• Byron brought up an issue with the oil drain hoses being 180º off. That was right before getting sick and then became a headache in the background. I had Fragola start making the hoses for the turbo kits so that I could save myself time. First batch seemed fine and I press tested each one. Like an idiot I didn’t pay attention to the orientation of one side of the fittings. They should be 180º from each other. Anyone that notices this on the drain hose, please let me know. There should never be a work around needed. This was my fault for not catching it. Four weeks late the new batch arrived. Low and behold, they did them with the same error again. Well the correct ones showed up on Friday.
IMG_4131.jpeg

• Pipework- this almost, and could still, become a major nightmare and possibly could kill any further turbo development past the pre-orders. The shop that is doing all of my pipework was sold. COVID did so much damage that they needed to find a buyer and it looks like their largest customer is getting them. I was told that the new owners have no interest in taking over my account and a handful of the other small accounts. This would end production. But got a stay of execution because there is some state contract that have to complete by year ending so the acquisition has been put off until the end of the year. This gives me time to try to get whatever I can made. My issue is it’s a capital thing. I have to move shops again and all funds are going to that. Sucky timing all around. 

• Pipework X2- The pipe shop WAS able to send me out enough pipework to get seven more turbos out. This makes a big dent on what I have left to deliver so some good news finally. I have to get all of the other stuff together to complete kits but I’ll start that now that the pipes are here.
IMG_3573.jpeg

• Turbos- two months ago I was offered ten turbos but I was sick, not working/shipping, and falling behind. I didn’t have any pipework coming anytime soon so I passed them up. Too much money to sit on the shelf collecting dust. I should have grabbed them because only two are available (and shipping to me) now. There are another five earmarked for me so that will get me caught up with the pipework I have.

• Turbo/downpipe blankets- I’ve been informed that all blanket prices are going up by 20% and all assembly times for custom orders are now 8-10 weeks. Up from 4-5. I’ve got them going but it pushes out deliveries of kits.

Has anyone that has installed one of these made a comprehensive video about it? I would love to see the performance value in it and see how the new owners feel about it. I tried looking on YT but get all sorts of homebrew stuff.

Has anyone that has installed one of these made a comprehensive video about it? I would love to see the performance value in it and see how the new owners feel about it. I tried looking on YT but get all sorts of homebrew stuff.
OTRAMM has an installation video and there are indeed some other videos out there showing the performance. I haven't run across any video that is highly in-depth regarding the performance and use. However, there are countless posts in this thread and a few others where nearly every individual who has purchased a kit talk highly of it. I haven't heard one negative review come from this kit from those that have purchased them. As with adding any forced induction to a 30-year-old engine, there may be a few gremlins to work out but they don't come from this kit, mainly maintenance that was lacking in the first place.
I know it's a long read, but if you haven't done so already I would go through this thread and see what went into its development and how many of the users feel about said kit. I for one can't wait to get one after talking to those folks that have them already.

You can find videos of acceleration and show a fully loaded rig easily maintaining 80 and climbing hills with ease. Joey has videos on his website as well showing its dyno runs, etc.

Cool...thanks guys. I understand the quality of the product is top-notch. I have been following the thread since the beginning. It would be sweet to be able to ride in a turbo 80 or even a supercharged one to have that experience. I've never seen one in the flesh yet.

I will says this to the group, I bolted my kit onto a well maintained 220,000 mile 1995 LC in April of 2019. So far I am completely happy with performance and quality of kit. It has been flawless in every way. Joey has been more than helpful when needed. No regrets.

Cool...thanks guys. I understand the quality of the product is top-notch. I have been following the thread since the beginning. It would be sweet to be able to ride in a turbo 80 or even a supercharged one to have that experience. I've never seen one in the flesh yet.
You might want to post up on the turbo owner thread to see if anyone is near you or within driving distance. You really are going to be impressed with this kit. It's been a couple of years since I have installed mine and I still giggle like a school girl when I press on the gas pedal 😁

Turbo update...

I wanted to write this two months ago but I got horribly sick for weeks and its taken me forever to just play catch up with regular orders, much less turbos. There has been a crazy amount of crap going on in the background with these kits. But as I’ve mentioned many times before I will not bother posting until there is information worth sharing. I also want to remind folks that I will generally ignore any turbo inquiries until there is information to give AND I will always post for EVERYONE to see here. No more games of telephone where things are taken out of context.

No turbos have shipped in two months. It’s been horrible. I was ready to slam a bunch out and all hell hit. I have three kits that need to go out to those whom I’ve already contacted. I have one that went to the wrong address and THANKFULLY was returned to me. So that’s four that will be heading out over the next week, since I’m STILL playing catch up.

As frustrated as all of you are that are STILL waiting, trust me I am more frustrated that I don’t have ready kits to send out. I want these gone and out of my life. Over the next two weeks I will be contacting the next seven folks on the list. If you are not contacted it means you are in the next batch. I will post here when those emails go out. Simple as that.

Now for those that keep asking where you are in line…I’m still not going to have a solid answer for you. The reason is simple: as of right now there are FOUR people that have pushed out their delivery dates. It was two, then six, then four. I don’t know why but they push delivery to the next person. This is fine but it really screws up delivery WHEN they all of a sudden say they are ready for their kit once. This pushed everyone up one. Now that guy at the end of the batch who thought he was getting it is now pushed to the next batch because the guy before him is ready. Everything is decided by your position. So when I am asked “where am I in line?” my answer is I DON’T KNOW. It can change. So I will let you know the moment you are getting yours and its when there is no chance of getting bumped. Perhaps I shouldn’t have done this from the start but it was the only fair way I could think of.

How do you get a turbo going forward if you haven’t already paid for one? The only way is buying a kit from someone who is selling theirs or by buying someone else’s spot. I have people all the time selling their spot. I think I’ve switched out easily ten since the beginning of the year.

So here are the goings on as of right now:

• Byron brought up an issue with the oil drain hoses being 180º off. That was right before getting sick and then became a headache in the background. I had Fragola start making the hoses for the turbo kits so that I could save myself time. First batch seemed fine and I press tested each one. Like an idiot I didn’t pay attention to the orientation of one side of the fittings. They should be 180º from each other. Anyone that notices this on the drain hose, please let me know. There should never be a work around needed. This was my fault for not catching it. Four weeks late the new batch arrived. Low and behold, they did them with the same error again. Well the correct ones showed up on Friday.
View attachment 3112441

• Pipework- this almost, and could still, become a major nightmare and possibly could kill any further turbo development past the pre-orders. The shop that is doing all of my pipework was sold. COVID did so much damage that they needed to find a buyer and it looks like their largest customer is getting them. I was told that the new owners have no interest in taking over my account and a handful of the other small accounts. This would end production. But got a stay of execution because there is some state contract that have to complete by year ending so the acquisition has been put off until the end of the year. This gives me time to try to get whatever I can made. My issue is it’s a capital thing. I have to move shops again and all funds are going to that. Sucky timing all around. 

• Pipework X2- The pipe shop WAS able to send me out enough pipework to get seven more turbos out. This makes a big dent on what I have left to deliver so some good news finally. I have to get all of the other stuff together to complete kits but I’ll start that now that the pipes are here.
View attachment 3112442

• Turbos- two months ago I was offered ten turbos but I was sick, not working/shipping, and falling behind. I didn’t have any pipework coming anytime soon so I passed them up. Too much money to sit on the shelf collecting dust. I should have grabbed them because only two are available (and shipping to me) now. There are another five earmarked for me so that will get me caught up with the pipework I have.

• Turbo/downpipe blankets- I’ve been informed that all blanket prices are going up by 20% and all assembly times for custom orders are now 8-10 weeks. Up from 4-5. I’ve got them going but it pushes out deliveries of kits.
I am glad to hear your health pulled through and you are better.

With the kit, will you still be pursuing CARB certification?

@NLXTACY -

Hey — if you need time, take it.

I’m not in the que of current kits, but your health is paramount.

I’ve quietly been sitting back & waiting down the ‘Rona / supply chain BS we all are still in.

It’s been a PITA for R’s new SC kit too AFAIK - and my only info source is Mud since I don’t do any of the socials at all.

Best to you, without health you’re dogshizz.
Hope all others here sympathize/ agree.

Hey Joey, you said on this thread that mine was ready to ship 4-5 months ago and I never heard from you again. Emailed you 4 or 5 times since then with no response. Well now at least i know why. I’m assuming I’m on the short list to receive mine but I haven’t heard anything so now I don’t know. It’s been three years. I’m 65. My biggest concern is I will die before I ever see it.

Hey Joey, you said on this thread that mine was ready to ship 4-5 months ago and I never heard from you again. Emailed you 4 or 5 times since then with no response. Well now at least i know why. I’m assuming I’m on the short list to receive mine but I haven’t heard anything so now I don’t know. It’s been three years. I’m 65. My biggest concern is I will die before I ever see it.
I was in a similar boat. I know he's been sick and glad he's doing better. I haven't waited quite three years, so hopefully, you get yours soon. I'm currently at 2.5 years. I'm sure we're coming up soon. 🤞

Health is important so I'm glad Joey's is improving and I hope yours hold out for many more Turbo'd years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom