Builds BNG Cruzr - Journey Back to Dirt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I didn’t go the solar route with controller but the price for materials is in line with that I researched before pulling the trigger. All the items add up fast.

I didn’t go the solar route with controller but the price for materials is in line with that I researched before pulling the trigger. All the items add up fast.

Thanks - I am working with the shop to order all the materials from them, install everything and then leave wiring to them. Will subtract a good $1000 from the total cost of work.

I also ordered the Alu-Cab Expedition III -- didn't order the Awning, but if I can fit it into the budget I am definitely going to get it. Really pumped. Putting a lot of money into the truck .. hopefully nothing major fails during the trip!

Ever since making the change from my 2014 STi and 2012 VW Golf R, I have missed high performance lighting in the Land Cruiser.

I finally pulled the trigger on upgrading the headlights. I went the LED route, with heated glass/fronts.

2019-09-14.jpeg

I'll install them sometime in late September.

Last edited:
Well Sorted Automotive has had my truck for about the last month.

The main project they took care of for me was removing and rebuilding the C channels on the rear of the truck and replacing the Shock Tube for the rear struts to reattach to the truck. Here are some pictures from Doug at Well Sorted.

IMG_20190827_112824.jpg

IMG_20190904_151223.jpg

IMG_20190904_151233.jpg

I have started down the road of the Dual Battery setup. Working alongside Juniper Overland in Denver Colorado to get this done right.

I am installing as much as I can and leaving the wiring to them.

Here are a few pictures of the install thus far. Removed the Vac Canister and relocated the Expansion Tank.

59106884582__0F766393-4681-468F-95D2-EB375617ADDE.JPG

59106880259__4ED02108-390A-4F87-8B3E-42228EC490E7.JPG

59107193045__2B79C1B1-7B83-4136-8A9E-44CD9DBA3BDF.JPG

IMG_0022.jpeg

Some updates:

First a pic of the dual battery setup.

IMG_0108.JPEG

Worked like a charm this weekend with the inverter and the Roof Top Tent. Speaking of ....

IMG_0076.JPEG

IMG_0077.JPEG

First 4x4 trip was a success. Did a nice easy and short trail US105 off of Rollinsville Pass. Was a bit cold, but me and the pup suffered little in the Roof Top Tent.

Now to start getting the essentials right for a trip down to National Sand Dunes or Moab next weekend ...!

IMG_0063.JPEG

15060903-4C1F-4540-B119-6F235DEE3BE8.jpg

Fussed with the J.W. Speaker headlights last night.

I have been struggling to get the low beams to work properly - i swapped a couple of the wires again and got them to turn on with the regular switch now.

FaZ5UCh.jpg

Need to aim them tonight with a brick wall somewhere in downtown Denver. Last night when I got them set up I just set them super low as to not blind anyone.

Wow .. its been quite awhile since I was on here.

I guess a few updates from the TLC and life.

Wife returned from her extended stay in West Hollywood and we lived in the apartment for 3 months. We found a home in South Denver and closed on December 14th.

One of the must haves was a garage that could fit the cruiser and the RTT. Don't worry, every home we went to I had my tape out measuring the clear height of each garage door.

Moved in January 3rd and we got set to work on making the home our own. A few pics of the important stuff:

IMG_1087.jpeg

Liquid Courage

IMG_1117.JPEG

Craigslist Find ;)

IMG_1122.JPEG

Garage (Engine is 1987 BMW M20b27 Super ETA) - I tore out the drywall to gain access to some wiring in our kitchen.

Of course we get all moved in and already want to do an addition as our family is growing sometime in March .. first kiddo on the way.

So we are going to add on a master suite while remodeling the current garage into another living room area. Which means, I finally get to design a garage how I want. I also don't know everything I need/want, so will definitely be looking for recommendations from the mud community and BMW2002FAQ on some of the needs/wants list I should try to squeeze into the garage.

Capture.PNG

Cheers,

JR

IMG_1127.JPEG

@jackhossross, electrical outlets, install em at about 6' apart, 4' off the floor. i'd strongly suggest 2 220v circuits, one for welder, one for air compressor

Haven't thought about two 220v circuits, I am planning on building an air compressor closet with one 220v in there.

As far as a welder goes, I've got zero experience in that regards. I was planning on doing a simple epoxy coated floor .. but hadn't thought about heat impacts.

Appreciate the ideas -- keep them coming mud!

Haven't thought about two 220v circuits, I am planning on building an air compressor closet with one 220v in there.

As far as a welder goes, I've got zero experience in that regards. I was planning on doing a simple epoxy coated floor .. but hadn't thought about heat impacts.

Appreciate the ideas -- keep them coming mud!
well then, it's time to learn how to use a hot metal glue gun! re: heat impacts, talk to a reputable flooring or painting company as both our flooring and painter do epoxy floors for us but i've never discussed weld splatter effects on it with them.
oh yeah, if it's in the budget, seriously entertain putting in-floor heat, you'll thank me in the middle of winter. i regret not doing it

I’d suggest enough height and pouring the floor to accommodate a lift

Quick update to the truck.

Market volatility has crushed any ideas of an addition for the time being. I added a reverse camera mirror to the truck, so far I really like it.

In order to wire it to the rear, I had to remove the trunk cards - which gave me the idea of replacing the pendleton fabric with the relicate leather i purchased.

I think it came out nice, looks clean.

42i3sD6.jpg

iqrBARH.jpg

Installed the Z clips from 4x4 labs today. Ran into a seized bolt on the passenger side rear body mount. So I can't finish until my SOR order gets here.

0qPgx3o.jpg

NuR3smZ.jpg

vEaM6Qv.jpg

zgDUsQh.jpg

6Oxw6aB.jpg

P8GXmyX.jpg

2pkwYSI.jpg

Waiting on my SOR rear body mount bolts to arrive to replace the seized one .. however, BMW dealer brought this little gem over for me to test drive today. I really miss my '13 Golf R and having a car I can take to the track, so hopefully this BMW M2 will be sharing the garage with my FJ62 sooner than later.

lWMNkQv.jpg

Pretty wild how much has changed in the last 7 months. Almost been 7 months to the day of my last post.

The wife and I have enjoyed having the little one, however our only vacation away has been to take the Land Cruiser off the beaten path and get away from it all.

kebJLVb.jpg

4hxECRv.jpg

fnBFVeY.jpg

sNL6iaO.jpg

NFIo7Ss.jpg

Trip was from August up into the Front Range of Denver/Boulder.

I also was able to pull the trigger on the M2 this past Friday. So now I've got the TLC for winter duty and 4x4, and the M2 for fun fast driving in good weather. Really need to grab a picture of the new M2 and TLC sharing the garage together.

Another update:

I've got a pic of the M2 and FJ62 sharing the garage together from the other day.

kj0D1dS.jpg

Today the M2 stayed in the garage as we are experiencing snow here in Denver.

Also, my buddy hosted me on OCN Rigs - you can check out the video here: ONC Rigs: BNGCruiser

Yes, somehow I said 170ish horsepower, I don't know how I mistakenly went that high 🤣

Snowed a bit overnight here in Denver.

Working from home, so no need to venture out today. Was thinking of going for a ride to smoke a cigar after work today, but probably should get on the bike trainer instead.

Pic for fun, spent some time the last couple days building out a budget for the summer for the FJ62. I'll get it to the point that its got enough detail to share it with the budget with the group. Excited to have the ability to take the truck off line for a few weeks to take care of long term projects now.

IMG_0779.JPEG

Was rolling around Denver this afternoon, when a hose suddenly cracked and spilled/sprayed coolant all over the place.

what hose/nipple is this - I think it might be the nipple I placed there when bypassing the rear heater.

Those caps suck. The rubber is cheap and barely lasts a year. I have one on plugging a coolant port on a non land cruiser - I have a 4 pack of spares in the glovebox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom