Blackgate Customs - KDSS Control Harness (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just ordered one with an amber switch. Been waiting for this to come out. We do a lot on forest roads and the washboard of Baja. Hoping to soften the ride out a little more along with our typical airing down. Looks like it is shipping today. Not sure when I'll be able to install it but will shoot out a post when I get a chance to test it out.

I’ve seen a number report ordering elsewhere so should start hearing more reports soon.

Kit came in. Quality looks really good. Unfortunately won’t have time to install it for a couple weeks. I’m curious now about the dr_kdss before I do the install. What exactly is the difference?

IMG_0362.jpg

I went with the Blackgate harness. There is a noticeable improvement in ride quality when KDSS is disabled.

My initial test was on Maple Spring Road in Silverado Canyon. This is a dirt service road with an easy uphill climb to Santiago Peak. Speeds over 15 mph would normally be uncomfortable with KDSS engaged.

I didn't have the same experience with the harness installed. The ride suspension didn't feel as stiff and there was less bouncing around when traveling above 15mph.

I'm happy with the results so far.

Last edited:
View attachment 2754216

I went with the Blackgate harness. There is a noticeable improvement in ride quality when KDSS is disabled.

My initial test was on Maple Spring Road in Silverado Canyon. This is a dirt service road with an easy uphill climb to Santiago Peak. Speeds over 15 mph would normally be uncomfortable with KDSS engaged.

I didn't have the same experience with the harness installed. The ride suspension didn't feel as stiff and there was less bouncing around when traveling above 15mph.

I'm happy with the results so far.
I'm familiar with that road! So it really does feel a little (or a lot) smoother going over some the washboard?
That's my biggest issue when off roading, I hate washboard roads! If disableing KDSS smooths out the ride, I may just invest in that!
Also, I really like where you put your button pad in the ashtray! Great idea! Can you still close the sliding door when you're not needing it?

I'm familiar with that road! So it really does feel a little (or a lot) smoother going over some the washboard?
That's my biggest issue when off roading, I hate washboard roads! If disableing KDSS smooths out the ride, I may just invest in that!
Also, I really like where you put your button pad in the ashtray! Great idea! Can you still close the sliding door when you're not needing it?
It was a lot smoother than before and I am happy with the results so far. However, I purchased this kit with the idea of traveling over washboard roads at 25 mph without loosing the fillings in my teeth. That test will come this weekend so don't pull the trigger yet.

Yes! I can close the sliding door. Got the idea from an IG post. 90 degree bracket with double sided 3M tape did the trick.

Reactions: r2m
@wizteq , do you have to run the wires to engine compartment with the spod/switch pros? Kinda beat the purpose because everything is inside the cabin already.

@wizteq , do you have to run the wires to engine compartment with the spod/switch pros? Kinda beat the purpose because everything is inside the cabin already.
The $175 kit from Blackgate comes with the kdss harness and relay.

Capture.JPG

Red and yellow connect to the kdss harness. White and black are connected to positive and negative bus bars. Both bus bars are connected to the switch pros controller.

Thats it!

The $175 kit from Blackgate comes with the kdss harness and relay.

View attachment 2754744

Red and yellow connect to the kdss harness. White and black are connected to positive and negative bus bars. Both bus bars are connected to the switch pros controller.

Thats it!
That is what I mean. The black and white need to be brought to the engine compartment where people normally mount their spod /switch pros relay box.

While this about KDSS on 200 series... 150 series applicable on a theory based level even with some differences and a really good video overview of how KDSS can be beneficial

Last edited:
Great explanation. So if I understand this, the accumulator is there to provide smooth ride over bumps. Does that make the switch redundant? Hmm

I installed the Dr. Kdss control harness last night. Did a quick drive around and it definitely works. With kdss disabled going around turns you get a considerable amount of lean. Suspension feels much more forgiving. Highly recommended! I'm excited to test it off the street soon...

I installed the Dr. Kdss control harness last night. Did a quick drive around and it definitely works. With kdss disabled going around turns you get a considerable amount of lean. Suspension feels much more forgiving. Highly recommended! I'm excited to test it off the street soon...
How long/difficult was the install?
Did you go with the factory style on/off button?

How long/difficult was the install?
Did you go with the factory style on/off button?
Very easy install. Yes I did factory switch. No running of wires through firewall or anything. All wiring is done under the steering wheel. Took me an hour but that's because I got confused about something and was working in the dark.

So there's not having to run wires to the front and rear KDSS's? Is the install all under dash?
Apologies for all the questions.

I watched an install video or 2 yesterday for the Dr KDSS and it is just like the throttle controller install, all under the dash and self contained. Unplug a connector, plug in the Dr. KDSS module and run the wires for the switch, that's it. Looks like it can be done in under 30 min easily. This is the route I will likely go soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom