BJ44 Engine Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need alot of advice.... I WANT to swap out my 2b for a 1HD-T, 1HD-FTE(or equivelant series). I also would like to install the mated tranny. I have no idea where to begin. I have a friend who has done many engine swaps but not on a cruiser. I have a few years left here on okinawa and would like to take advantage of getting a great (the best) engine I can. I have not heard or found anybody who has done this but I believe it will be worth it. I am doing research ahead of time to see if it will even be worth the hassle. Here are a few questions to get started...

1. Which engine should I go with. Is it gonna be feasable
2. Will I need to make different motor/tranny mounts...etc..etc
3. Will the radiator fit or will I have to make major mods.
4. Can I keep it a 24V system or is it better to change.
5. Will I need to beef up my front suspension due to the bigger engine.
6. Do I need a new rear end to handle the additional power.
7. The engines I am looking at are out of cruiser with all time 4Wheel drive...how is that gonna work?

Please point me in the right direction to make the Ultimate Cruiser!!!:cheers:

1. Which engine should I go with. Is it gonna be feasable

13B-T

2. Will I need to make different motor/tranny mounts...etc..etc

For the 1HD-FTE, you bet. Also please start learing how to wire the ECU right now. And don't think about boosting them, they crack heads if you diddle them up.

3. Will the radiator fit or will I have to make major mods.

For the 1HD-FTE, you bet, tons of mods. For the 13B-T pretty much drop it right in.

4. Can I keep it a 24V system or is it better to change.

For the 1HD-FTE, not a chance. For the 13B-T no problem at all.

5. Will I need to beef up my front suspension due to the bigger engine.

For the 1HD-FTE yes, tons of changes. For the 13B-T nothing at all.

6. Do I need a new rear end to handle the additional power.

In either case no.

7. The engines I am looking at are out of cruiser with all time 4Wheel drive...how is that gonna work?

Works just fine in an 80. Going to be interesting in a 44.

Please point me in the right direction to make the Ultimate Cruiser!!!

Get a 13B-T or a 15B-Ft if you can find one.

Do you know Shane Noble?

Do I sound fairly opinionated?

Also how do you plan on getting through the Shakken with a 1HD-FTE.... oh wait you are on Okinawa, ok, case of beer and done.

1 Well I would aim for the 1HDT and lose a lot of the electrical headaches that will pop up with the 1HDFTE.

2 Yep new mounts.

3 You will need a bigger radiator

4 You will probably end up with a 24v donor motor so go with that.

5 If your springs are old I would say you will need to beef them up ,otherwise wait and see.

6 Rear end should be ok

7 I would look for an older 1HD T/gearbox combo(H55f) with part time 4wd.

Another engine choIce I would consider is a 12HT or 13 BT.

The 45/47 and came with a 6 cyl diesel or gasser and the 44 has the same sized engine bay .
Some members of this forum have fitted 1HZ, which is basically the same as a 1HDT, into their 40/45.

Do you intend taking it back to he US ?
If so consider if it can be licensed back home

roscoFJ73 said:
4 You will probably end up with a 24v donor motor so go with that.

7 I would look for an older 1HD T/gearbox combo(H55f) with part time 4wd.

Do you intend taking it back to he US ?
If so consider if it can be licensed back home

The 1HD-T, 1HD-FT and 1HD-FTE are all 12 volt with 24 volt starting in Japan. There are no pure 24 volt motors of that type.

The 1HD-T was never mated to the H55F here, not that you can not do it. The 1HZ is obviously the same back end. You just can't buy one from a wreck.

He will have no issues with taking the BJ44 back to the USA as long as it is 25 years old. He may have issues with pollution control depending on where he moves to but that is so area specific in the US that commenting on it is worthless.

From what I've read, the 14bt or 15bt would be even nicer than the HD. That's a lot of power in the HD that you really wouldn't use too often unless you drive your cruiser in ways a cruiser is not normally driven.

14 or 15 BT is basically more power out of a very similar block. I can't remeber what trannys came with those, but I'm sure you could find a 5 speed (I like them better than slushboxes anyway!).

Also, you have such an opportunity to find an engine that is REALLY hard to find here. 13bt's are getting to be fairly easy to find, if not expensive. you have a gold mine of half cut trucks. Go for what would make you truck a better runner/wheeler/expedition vehicle/whatever over wow value.

my .02

I have already told him all this before that a 13B-T or a 15B-T is a much more viable option. Don't know why you would want a 1HD-T when a 15B-T can be had here bolt right in with a few easy mods and have comparable power. Oh yeah it's lighter, more compact and will last much longer than a 1HD-T. Hell even a bone stock 13B-T has a good power in a 40. :)

How much do the 15bt engines run there (USD)? What transmissions do they bolt up to?

Thanks for killing the curious cat.

K

Shane I didn't forget what you told me.... My interest have been sparked and I was seeing if it was even possible or worth it on the 1HD-TFE. I got some bad (obviously) information from some NON cruiser heads. I don't want a headache with this engine swap. I want the best overall engine for my truck. Sound like the 13B-t is the ticket. Now......with that being said.....what about the shakkar...or whatever its called. How hard is it gonna be to get it through a title change. WHat is a 13B-T gonna cost me. Should I just wait and swap engines before I head back to the states. If I wait I am going to have to put some money into the 2B to keep id running like I want it to.

HeepEater said:
WHat did the 15B-T come in? Shane I know you told me but I forgot.

Dyna, BU212 trucks, a few other models. Easier to find a non-turbo 15B-F.

Be prepared to open your wallet real wide for a 15B-FT. I have never bought one, I have seen only one for sale in the last four years.

I want one.

HeepEater said:
Now......with that being said.....what about the shakkar...or whatever its called. How hard is it gonna be to get it through a title change. WHat is a 13B-T gonna cost me.

Randy did one in a 40. I am sure that clearing Shakken there is far easier than up here. I get grilled for all kinds of silly stuff like missing length on the frame and no rear body past the B pillar. In Okinawa I was of the impression that a few cases of beer would smooth over such problems.

Randy never got his registered with the 13B-T everybody was telling him that this year there is a new law. Supposidly they are not allowing most diesel swaps. Beer can work great if the vehicle is already registered but if it needs to go to the LTO office forget it.
Brandon if you want a 13B-T in good shape get up with dave at Japan4X4. If you have a bunch of money socked away he can get you a 15B-FT, not likely to find one in Okinawa unless you buy the whole truck for $10,000 or more.

i say screw the oddity engine and stuff a 1HZ in there. turbo it if you need to. extremely simple engine, you can run it on one wire.
the 13BT is a sweet ass engine as well, talk to Bruce Lowen, he stuck one in a BJ40 a few years back and loves it.
the only thing i HATE about the 13BT and a manual is the sensitive throttle, oh and the fuel economy isn't as good as it should be with a 4 banger...

i just did a 1200 km fuel milage test run with a 1HZ in a HZJ73 and the results were extremely satisfying...

anything that needs a ECU is too much of a pain for an ultimate cruiser.

there, that is my opinion...

crushers said:
i

i just did a 1200 km fuel milage test run with a 1HZ in a HZJ73 and the results were extremely satisfying...

Please dont keep us in suspense:D Im planning a long trip and noting others experiences

short and nasty:
120-140 km/hr 495 km for 24.7 mpg
100-105 km/hr (it is REAL hard to keep to such a slow speed with this engine) 500+ km for 28.7 mpg
i will post the actual figures tomorrow but this is what i kind of remember. i thought this was phenomenal for such a large engine...
the power was always there if i needed it but a turbo would be a sweet addition.

the truck was a HZJ73 automatic, stock eveything, 67,000 km unit...

Oddity engine? 13B-T's are common here in Japan and will keep on running long after the 1HZ needs major maintenance. I would spend the extra dollars and get a 15B-FT 4.1L, 4 valves per cylinder, quite, and smooth for a 4 cylinder. Not to metion good power in a 2 ton or bigger truck sports car like in a 40. Fits right in one wire and throttle cable change. B engines are suppose to be good way over 500,000km. B engine is definitely my choice too bad Toyota never punched out and put a more efficient head on the H engines. If the H engine had the same bore as a 15B it would be a 5.6L. Now that would be on par with a Cummins engine.:grinpimp:

crushers said:
the only thing i HATE about the 13BT and a manual is the sensitive throttle,

I still don't understand this. I've never had an issue...in either my BJ74 or the BJ60/13BT. My right foot on the RHD rests on the wall to keep consistancy when going slow...

Now the 12HT/H55F...that's a sensitive throttle that has documentation...with fixes.

BJ44, great input.

gb

BJ-44 said:
Oddity engine? 13B-T's are common here in Japan :
hey dick head,
try reading the post again.
the 15B-FT 4.1L is the oddity engine, i mentioned in my post the 13BT is a good swap but the engine has it's own peculiar throttle issues.
even if the 1HZ needed "major maintenance" at least we can get parts for them here.
AND dave mentioned trying to find a 15B-FT is a hard find even for him. when it comes time to repair something what is your answer, oh wise one...to those of us with Japan NOT as our backyard...

Greg_B said:
I still don't understand this. I've never had an issue...in either my BJ74 or the BJ60/13BT. My right foot on the RHD rests on the wall to keep consistancy when going slow...
hummm, what i don't get is you say there is no issue then turn around and admit you have to keep your foot against the wall "for consistency"...at slow speeds...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom