BJ44 Engine Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

WoW such hostility:mad: :censor: oh my! :crybaby: forgive me for misreading, the 15B's are a common engine here, just not many around that aren't still in a running truck unless it got wrecked. They will be showing up in a few years though. If you would read the post(s) Heepeater is in JAPAN! Best time to get a good engine for his Cruiser. If he went back to the States with it and when it did need parts there are plenty of people that could get him what he needs. Have a back up Cruiser whilst you wait on your parts is my sage advice:D Pactoy's BJ-44 and my other friends BJ-73 (both 5 speeds) don't have any issues with throttle sensitivity at any speed or RPM. Maybe the throttle sensitivity is just your shaky foot from all that built up anger:flipoff2:

hummm, BJ73?? NA 3B = non-issue. BJ74 (i.e. 13BT) = issue.
get the facts straight.

plan ahead, once he gets back tot he states then parts do become a problem (and not everyone is rich enough like you to have a back up cruiser)

BJ-44 said:
Oddity engine? 13B-T's are common here in Japan and will keep on running long after the 1HZ needs major maintenance. :

What kind of major maintenance are you thinking of.
I looked at 12 HZJ105 ,HZJ79 and HZJ75 from the Pilbara mines today and all engines had 250000+ and were running as sweet as the day they come from the factory.
I also looked a several during the week that had 450-500000 klms and still running strong with no oil smoke.
The owners said they had nothing but regular oil and filter changes.
If they have a weakness its the fuel pump but they are getting cheaper by the day and soon it will be more econmical to put a new pump on than rpair the old one.

BJ-73 with Transplanted 13B-T= BJ-73 w/13B-T. Ok if your not rich which I'm not then you can buy a Corolla as your back-up to the cruiser. Very economical and cheap import one with the diesel and then run bio-diesel to be extremely economical. Part aren't a problem when you know people.;p

Hey Rosco I understand that the 1HZ is a good engine in it's own right it does well. In Japan they are an undesirable engine. I have driven a 70 with 1HZ and 70 with 13B-t my personal choise would be the 13B-T if I was happy with stock engines no mods. In a 40 if you want the easiest transplant stick with the B series engines. It's funny how you guys get so touchy over your 1HZ. :eek:

WOW, I guess the 1HZ is a touchy subject. Shane does have a good point about getting a engine that will last 500,000KM. I think I am still going to go with the 13B-T or 15B-T. I think keeping it simple is the best route. I did some research on the 15B-T and that engine is bad to the bone but like you said I will need deep pockets. If I just chill out and and be happy with my 2B until that last JCI (2 years) I think then I will swap the engines. Hopefully by then I will have found a reasonable 15B-T. But for the record I have read about alot of problems with the 1HZ's. Maybe that is because there are far more that were produced than the 13&14B-T:confused:

HeepEater said:
But for the record I have read about alot of problems with the 1HZ's. :confused:
care to share where this reading matterial can be found?

for us Canucks we can only go by what the OZ boys and the Canadian mining industry tell us. the report back from the industrial use is the 1PZ, 1HZ is one tough reliable engine and if there is other info about this engine that i can read up on (i.e. the short comings) then i am open to view this matterial...
cheers

HeepEater said:
WOW, I guess the 1HZ is a touchy subject. Shane does have a good point about getting a engine that will last 500,000KM. I think I am still going to go with the 13B-T or 15B-T. I think keeping it simple is the best route. I did some research on the 15B-T and that engine is bad to the bone but like you said I will need deep pockets. If I just chill out and and be happy with my 2B until that last JCI (2 years) I think then I will swap the engines. Hopefully by then I will have found a reasonable 15B-T. But for the record I have read about alot of problems with the 1HZ's. Maybe that is because there are far more that were produced than the 13&14B-T:confused:

Nothing touchy about my feelings toward a 1HZ ,I am quite confident from my own experiences and converstions with mechanics, wreckers and other enthusiasts that they are unbeatable in their class.
They are probably the most popular diesel here ,the backbone of the mining,agricultural and construction industries.
The UN also has thousands in operation in the most inhospitable regions of the globe.

The 1HZ is a 500000klm engine and I personaly seen dozens of them do it.
The ones that dont,usually have a hard life with numerous drivers and patchy service records,something that is hard to avoid in industry.
Maybe in Japan they prefer the extra power from a 1HDFTE(who wouldnt?) but I doubt they have genuine complaints about 1HZ reliabilty.
The Japanese,from my limited knowledge of their ownership habits, probably dont use Landcruisers in the workplace like we do and probably prefer the quick thrill of a turboed 6 when they get a chance to use it

Other things I like about the 1HZ ,although it has no turbo,it has more power than a 13bt
This makes it a very easy uncluttered engine to work on,not unlike the my old unsmogged 3F.

The 1HZ is not produced in higher numbers than the B variants. It is almost entirely made for Australia, Africa and the UN to be used as a workhorse.

Heep,

If you have two years to sit on it, I'd wait and keep you eye out for a wrecked or half cut truck with the 15BT in it. (Drool Drool). the HDs are sweet, but with all of that work... :eek: I like simple.

As a note there was an engine in the H class (D or Z I can't remember) that had a bunch of bearing issues in the early years. I saw a few articles on line from aussie about it... Probably wouldn't be an issue if you aviod the years where this was noted.

Again, thanks for all of the drool factor posts. :cheers: I am picking up my 44 on thursday and I am dying to turbo it, but my major fantasy is to drop a 15bt in it.

Kraig

BreckenridgeCruiser said:
As a note there was an engine in the H class (D or Z I can't remember) that had a bunch of bearing issues in the early years. I saw a few articles on line from aussie about it... Probably wouldn't be an issue if you aviod the years where this was noted.

You mean the HD-T engines. Do a search on this forum for tons of information, or check this link: http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/main_4x4.htm

Simple and easy to replace with ACL bearings, then not an issue. I would not avoid these engines due to this; simply budget in doing them right away.

hth's

gb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom