Biodiesel Piggie #2 Buildup (was Sad Sad day...) (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KliersLC said:
Its really the front that has the problem.......

and wouldn't the 60/70 be a bit wide fer the ol porker?

Actually, what is the width of most chevy front ends, around 64 inches? An 80 axle is what 63"?

EDIT: Actually, Brian, your memory is failing, since a Chevy front is 67" and the rear is 64".

I'd like to build some HD axles someday, but I don't want them to say DANA on them. I'll probably never get around to it though. And when a 8" rear end can hold up to the torque of the 4BT, why wouldn't a LC diff, expecially when the 8" failures are due to the housing design?

Last edited:
Well I kind of like the toy stuff actually.. Is that weird? I honestly thought that my mini truck rear end would never hold up at all, but it has for the most part.. So even though I have these higher torque numbers, I honestly don't think its as bad as well all make it seem IMO, I think we kind of focus on the broken things and call things "weak" and definetely have a propencity for overbuilding.. You can quote me on this later when I am broken all over the place :D

Basically I have been running a 8" diff for three years now. The housing has been an issue here and there, but the axles / diff have held up great. I am pretty sure the cruiser 9" is hands down stronger. At least in the rear where I think it matters a little more... So that is why I was concerned about the axles. We'll see about up front I guess. I have thought a lot about different axles dana this and that, I have actually been thinking and reading for years now here and on pirate... Plus the huge added cost. I could $5G into axles alone easily. Which IMO, at least for this rig, is ridiculous IMO..

So that is my $.02 on it for now. I don't think I have too bad a plan IMO... Plus there is always chromoly of course.. :)

I have climbed many a hill with a granny low 5-speed man, NP205, 3.54's in the 60/70, 33's, and no lockers.

And as for the width of the Dana 60/70 there are many ways to deal with this issue. The easiest would be getting wheels with a different back space.

The way I am dealing with the Dana 60/70 width on my pig is: swap the Single Rear Wheel Hubs for Dual Rear Wheel Hubs and then I am running Humvee wheels which have a 7 1/2" back space. This will also allow me to do a cross-over steering conversion and run a high-steer setup.

Just one idea.

Why not put Brians portals underneath it???

They are great but won't fit with the deep 4BT (because you have to be sprung over) and are geared really really low... It would take some serious street gearing to get them back up to highway speed, at least an overdrive trans plus a ranger I figure... Otherwise I like them a lot they are just killer! Andre

Andre, I think its an awesome project. I would use all the 80 series stuff I could. The axles are not an issue. The front, built right is as strong as any Dana 44 and probably closer to a stock 60, especially when you are going to run 35" tires. The rear full float is also very strong. I wheeled with Mark at Moab and he did some crazy stuff BACKWARDS where I knew he was going to $hit the front diff, but nothing happened. Stay 80 series, use bolt on parts and have fun with it. Use 4340 Birfs and inners and 4.56 gears with the 35's and you will love it. The overall truck weight will be the factor to think about when thinking of carnage. The reason people break 80 series parts are two fold. 1st being a 6000 lb truck in trail ready config, 2nd being the 35"+ tires people run. The 2 together is not a good combo for any off the shelf rig. If you build it lighter it will be tough enough.

G

It has somewhat started. Picked up the NV5600, I am waiting a few days for it to be pulled out of the truck. Got it complete with Dodge pattern backing plate (you can change the bolt pattern on these), bellhousing (which I will probably have to replace), flywheel, clutch, slave and master, trans mount, Dodge pattern starter, all for $2100. All with about 36K miles on them.

Bought a built Dana 300 for $700 off PBB. If I want gears it will be another $600 and I need to get the correct input shaft for $300. So it adds up. I will be $1600 into this t-case easily. But it will be built and 4:1.

Finally of course my Lincoln 135 is not up to snuff for this project. So I have been looking at welders. Looks like I will end up with the Millermatic DVI model, sort of like a 175 on roids, not quite a 210. Going to sell the Lincoln for $500 and basically have all the functionality (minus as much portability being the only loss) for $500 more, plus a 230amp machine, brand new. So I am pretty psyched about that.

I have also been looking at the wrecked 80. I have to pull the right rear hub off because the 6 lug studs sheared off in the wreck! The chassis needs to be rolling before they put it on the machine to see if the frame is straight. That will be $90 to check. I can't believe the extent of the damaga (KliersLC's old 80, the one wrecked from the u-haul trailer). If its straight I will take it. Also got a better deal on the frame from him. I might help him swap the engine / trans / t-case from this 80 into his current 80 for some trade.

Going up to Oregon over Mem weekend to pickup the new 55. Not super pretty as it sits (on some Dukes of Hazard rims) but is pretty close to rust free... I will start posting up pics of these things as they materialize...

Last edited:
Here's a photo. Ain't much to look at but reasonable as far as I can tell.. It will be a lot of work (again) of course...
Landcruiser (1).jpg

It Begins..... :)

KliersLC's old FZJ80. Judging from a good look at it, AFAIK, no frame damage what so ever from the roll.... But boy the body is mangled :eek:
Picture 040.jpg
Picture 044.jpg

:cool:, get it done sooner than later... that motorhome will only make it so far in the hills :D

I have a feeling you guys are going to be chomping at the bit just like I have been with the FJ45LV and Gary's build - I hope I can keep up!

Here is the story on the FZJ80 and where it came from. https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=90693 Ironically at the time I called up Dan to see about the FJ55. NEver thought I would end up with the 80. In such a roundabout way too, from him, through Dave Callister, a guy in our club Wasatch CRuisers, then to me. I am going to rip out the engine / trans / t case and install it into Dave's 1992 FJ80 for some trade. Not sure if I will or if he'll take on the wiring....

Last edited:
Also the Dana 300 arrived the other day. Got a heck of a deal I think from a guy off Pirate... Heavy Duty front and rear output shafts, clocking ring, and twin sticks in a rebuilt 300 all for $750 shipped... I want the 4:1 gears but with budget as is not sure I can pull it off currently -- $600 extra. (I also paid off CC bills too :( ), so that will have to wait. I will have to order this http://www.jbconversions.com/pages/products/nv4500/dana300ret_29.html for another $300 to allow the Dana 300 to bolt behind the NV5600 (same rear bolt pattern / output spline count as a NV4500). I might have to ditch the AA clocking ring though, we'll see. But I can probably get a little $$ out of that too...
Picture.jpg

Last two days have been big shopping days. Kinda sad because I am already beginning to be close to out of money already But have purchased most of the new parts. So far they include:

FJ80 body / frame etc.
FJ55
NV5600
Dana 300
new brakes for the rear axle

Plus a new welder, extension cord, and lots of other misc stuff..

Here is the Saab when I got home yesterday... Low riding... :)
All this crap is in the saab, the welder, the heavy transmission, etc!
Picture 006.jpg

Last edited:
the new welder. I am pretty psyched about this. Even in 110 mode it burns in SO well, I was even getting some decent penatration on some 1/4" thick stuff on a fairly low setting.. I am totally pumped, this is something I have been putting off for a few years so I am pysched to finally have a decent welder...

brand new miller matic DVI machine...
Picture 012.jpg

I also brought home the NV5600 finally. I am starting to learn a lot about these, these are light years ahead of the NV4500 though there are some similarities. Took three of us to get it unloaded, it weighs that much, about 360 lbs...

And the best part...
Picture 015.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom