Beware of AAA Engine rebuilding 1FZ-FE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So as stated I bought a new rebuilt 1FZ-FE from AAAEngine out of Southern California and if you want a summary of this post here it is: avoid AAA Engine at all costs. It has been an unmitigated train wreck. First I ordered the motor. Took a couple months to be shipped. Frustrating but I understand that we have a labor issue. Not anyones fault. When it finally shipped I thought it would work for my busy life. Unfortunately their shipping company never came the day they promised which cause a missed day of work. Btw no phone call or anything from R&L. (First but not the last day of work missed) I contacted AAA and they looked into it. The shipping company claimed their truck broke down (a recurring theme) and that that they would have to put me off for a week. This kind of messed up my timing that I had carved out for this project. Oh well. We make plans and god laughs. Eventually it arrives and it takes a couple months of off and on toil to get the new motor fired up. I already had the motor pulled and parts ordered. Water pump, starter, injectors and much, much more. This was a full restoration with all new OEM (or upgraded) parts. No expense spared. Put everything on the long block and ordered for my core pickup.Shipping company took almost 3 weeks after they were supposed to arrive for pickup to arrive. They did so after arranging the owner of AAA to drive 7 hours each way to pick it up which he didn’t have to do. I missed 2 work days waiting for the shipping company. No call. The gal from the shipping company claimed each day that I was able to get a hold of them that their truck broke down. The driver that eventually showed up said that it doesn’t matter who answers the phone at their company, and words you hear them say is a lie. AAA then took a couple hundred dollars off my core refund for a “difficult delivery” location. I’m a mile off the interstate on paved roads. The trucks get to and from my property with no issues. Anyway I work on finishing it at the pace that I can. Fire it up and loud motor noise. Yikes. 0 miles, a ton of work and now I have to pull the motor for warranty right? Wrong. I did everything that they required to validate the warranty. Everything. Now they refuse to stand behind the warranty. They want me to pull the timing cover and see what’s going on. That’s a 16 hour job as I recollect (shop time). They will not reimburse me of course and have refused to warranty the motor. They had the gall to get pissed off at me for suggesting it. I know they don’t do that but when they refused every part of their warranty? I wish you all could read all of the emails, texts to the owner, and hear every phone call. It takes a lot for me to complain about a company but AAA Engine needs to go under. They are well below subpar. Just my opinion.

7F731810-F7F4-43BB-9986-4F06B055A5B1.jpeg

46381BED-26A1-40BF-96A6-CFAFD5657366.jpeg

8A0AB266-48C9-4BA1-83F6-120E61B865AB.jpeg

C41A67CF-CF2A-4DAC-A8A5-21691B5B47EE.jpeg

Bummed out for you. Perhaps we can help you identify and remediate the source of the noise?

Consolidating threads re: AAA Engine in Chatsworth, CA so everyone knows a little bit about how they roll.

Bummed out for you. Perhaps we can help you identify and remediate the source of the noise?

Consolidating threads re: AAA Engine in Chatsworth, CA so everyone knows a little bit about how they roll.

Thanks Coys! If it’s cool I’ll pm you when I’m needing help.

I'm getting all pissed off reading what you went through, it sucks when things go bad to worse. Where are you located? Could you drop it off at the shop and talk some sense to their faces?

I'm getting all pissed off reading what you went through, it sucks when things go bad to worse. Where are you located? Could you drop it off at the shop and talk some sense to their faces?
Unfortunately they are a 7 hour drive from here. Not worth the gas or my time. In the end I won’t change their position. I’ll still have to pull the motor or the timing. And since the original post I’ve talked to the owner of the company. Let’s just say there’s no way to make this work in less than a couple months and with no small amount of toil on my part. So I’m pulling the timing cover. It’s not my daily but what if it was? I’m missing a two week expedition in Canada next month now either way. Anyway lesson learned for me. So now I’m hoping someone else sees this and thinks twice.

I’m going to rant about a few other things once everything is running right. I’ve done a pretty wicked restoration to it and spent some big money on things that arrived poorly designed and horrifically built. And from so-called quality aftermarket companies. Scary stupid things in fact. And HUGE sinkholes of my time and effort. Like turning a 1 hour job into a 3 week nightmare for example. I’m waiting to make sure that I have all the tech support that I need from them before before I state the facts and some gripes in the “town square “. Suffice to say if you know anyone silly enough to do a near full restoration, have them contact me. If nothing else they can learn from my mistakes. 😂 I certainly didn’t think it was going to be as difficult as it’s been. A lot of disappointments from poor quality control.

Update ?

Thanks for asking. I figured out what the noise was after a lot of screwing around. Though it sounded like it was coming from inside the timing cover it was not. I knew it was near by so I pulled the motor and tore into it and long story short, the oil pump parts were not replaced or even inspected. The knocking was coming from there. There was lots of scoring and issues with everything including the case so I spent a small fortune replacing all the parts. Tried to only use OEM so like I said…a small fortune. I’ve had some health issues more recently so only recently have I got back to it but I’m finally close to my 500 mile break-in after 1.5 years. I hope that these types of problems are behind me. So far so good. I have contemplated a small claims case against them and though I know that I should for the sake of the next guy, I probably won’t.

Thanks for asking. I figured out what the noise was after a lot of screwing around. Though it sounded like it was coming from inside the timing cover it was not. I knew it was near by so I pulled the motor and tore into it and long story short, the oil pump parts were not replaced or even inspected. The knocking was coming from there. There was lots of scoring and issues with everything including the case so I spent a small fortune replacing all the parts. Tried to only use OEM so like I said…a small fortune. I’ve had some health issues more recently so only recently have I got back to it but I’m finally close to my 500 mile break-in after 1.5 years. I hope that these types of problems are behind me. So far so good. I have contemplated a small claims case against them and though I know that I should for the sake of the next guy, I probably won’t.
Glad to hear that you were able to fix the issue, hope that's the only thing that they missed. Besides personal time how much did it cost you all in all?

I didn’t keep close track. I know that I should have. It was more than $1500. That was the least expensive thing considering my time spent on doing it. It took many weeks. It would have been a whole lot more in shop time if I had it done professionally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom