Bestop height modification (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently bought a 1980 FJ40 that the PO had installed the top in question.

The bracket that holds the middle section (the highest section) up is approximately 3 inches too high to pass under my garage. If it's off, the factory "roll bar" will clear it just fine.

I was trying to dream up some modifications that would allow me to either push the frame, or part of the frame, up down back or forward without ruining it.

Any ideas would be great, my girlfriend wants this stinking thing out of her garage.

Would it be possible to replace the fastener at the bottom of the upright (green circle) with a quick release pin? Once the pin is removed moving the bottom forward should allow the top to drop hopefully giving you enough room.

BestopBows.jpg

It should also allow the back bow to drop as well.

Deflate your tires.

Would it be possible to replace the fastener at the bottom of the upright (green circle) with a quick release pin? Once the pin is removed moving the bottom forward should allow the top to drop hopefully giving you enough room.

View attachment 3254508

That might be a winner, thank you! I think there's currently a rivet in there at the moment but I should be able to drill that out.

View attachment 3254508

This was the first modification I did to my bestop. Drill out the rivet and replace with a long skinny bolt with a wing nut. This should allow you to lower the top a few inches to get it in and out of the garage without completely disassembling the top.

Last edited:

View attachment 3254508

This would work perfect. It will then function pretty much like a bimini top on a boat.

Ok, I'll say it...

Get a new girlfriend with a taller garage :D

Keep us updated on the results.
Got the Bimini pins, I love how they look. However, the little toggle on the end that keeps it in place can get stuck if it flips vertical while removing, and when the support beam for the top is mounted to the truck, it is a real pain in the neck to fidget around and free it. I think I'm gonna go with a 1/4" bolt and wingnut setup to save my frustration - not as elegant and cool looking as the pins, but when it's time to go out and have fun I don't wanna have my blood boiling trying to get those pins in and out.

Got the Bimini pins, I love how they look. However, the little toggle on the end that keeps it in place can get stuck if it flips vertical while removing, and when the support beam for the top is mounted to the truck, it is a real pain in the neck to fidget around and free it. I think I'm gonna go with a 1/4" bolt and wingnut setup to save my frustration - not as elegant and cool looking as the pins, but when it's time to go out and have fun I don't wanna have my blood boiling trying to get those pins in and out.

I can understand the frustration, maybe try pulling the pin with it horizontal so no way to go vertical. Glad you're getting it sorted out.

We use to use these on a fold down Radar Mast for a couple of our Patrol Boats. These are kind pricey but you can find cheaper and different size versions on line.
Google "Quick Release" push pins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom