best water pump? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
about to put a new water pump in my 1969 fj40. anyone have a suggestion as to which manufacturer i should use? thanx

This is what you want, Matt will hook you up.

I put one in my '69. Upgrade your fan and hoses while you're in there.

He sells that cool overflow bottle too.

i-PpXbtFb-L.jpg

Can’t beat buying from Roger. No need to pay double.

I had a rock auto waterpump on mine previous to this one and it wasn't the same and it failed. Maybe they have changed?
Rockauto doesn't manufacture parts, they are a reseller (which I am sure you know). They resell 5 different brands so in order to say one failed without stating the manufacturer isn't a reliable datapoint. If it is a GMB that you bought, and the markings on the pump show that, then it is a good datapoint.

Rockauto doesn't manufacture parts, they are a reseller (which I am sure you know). They resell 5 different brands so in order to say one failed without stating the manufacturer isn't a reliable datapoint. If it is a GMB that you bought, and the markings on the pump show that, then it is a good datapoint.
Wasn't an aisan, gmb, toyota, etc. And they didn't have 5 when I purchased. My data point is just my personal experience with the unit I got from rock auto. Anyway, like mentioned for the original poster, you have plenty of options for good parts. I buy from cruiser outfitters and city racer too. I think my metal fan replacement was from city racer. Great to have lots of vendors helping us out! :)

about to put a new water pump in my 1969 fj40. anyone have a suggestion as to which manufacturer i should use? thanx
This is what you want, Matt will hook you up.

I put one in my '69. Upgrade your fan and hoses while you're in there.

He sells that cool overflow bottle too.

i-PpXbtFb-L.jpg

with all the various opinions above ...:rolleyes:

- there are MADE IN JAPAN GMB water pumps = they cost more

- there are GMB ones NOT made in japan = they cost LESS

If you do get a GMB pump and wouldn’t mind, would you take & post a pic of the outlet hole on the back side? I never got an answer in “THIS” thread, so I still don’t know if it’s normal or if I got an odd ball. Perhaps it’s due to country of origin. I have no idea.

WP Casting 4.jpg

If you do get a GMB pump and wouldn’t mind, would you take & post a pic of the outlet hole on the back side? I never got an answer in “THIS” thread, so I still don’t know if it’s normal or if I got an odd ball. Perhaps it’s due to country of origin. I have no idea.

View attachment 3321812

GMB Image from ROCK AUTO right now

170-1080_BOT.jpg

Thank you Matt. 👍
your welcome

well that's the ROCK AUTO image

i DO stock A few of the real JAPAN GMB;s

i have never noted this ?

stand by

Thank you Matt. 👍

Ok

Here is my made in Japan GMB. I offer

They do cost approximately double the ones the 2 folks sadly bought above made in China …

Here u go my friend

E4871FA9-ADF1-4E99-8FC9-F60D611FC6BE.jpeg
78E22F69-F50B-4BFA-A71A-83EBE604F613.jpeg
568ED447-CA4F-4C5B-B2E3-8D8DE3A808BF.jpeg
3A0637D5-D0FC-46C7-9EC7-572304DC46F7.jpeg
2CAC36C3-3F8A-4EC6-BFE4-3B3EDABD077D.jpeg
311D3F58-A851-4F51-83B5-D4888B2EF5D8.jpeg
6903BBE6-9EE5-45B8-8334-2AEFDDB599B7.jpeg
38201EB8-63C3-4231-A593-A2B46C97F397.jpeg
EF3D39BB-822E-42C6-8301-7CDE587742D8.jpeg
4FB4B14E-A0C7-4854-805D-439DBCD4085D.jpeg
You

To add to this it's not just about brand or if the pump is made in Japan but who you buy from may determine how the part was treated/stored before you purchased it. I got this fine pump from Rock Auto at a good price and it came with an extra gasket for some reason, when I opened it up to put sealant on the gasket I was disappointed to find this.

PXL_20210106_004429317~2.jpg

Ended up having to sand off the corrosion on the plate and use the "extra" gasket before I was comfortable that it would not leak.

View attachment 3321812
thats not normal cheap jobber but hope it works for a long time

I've read through this twice, still have questions. After speaking to 2 different "expert" online Cruiser people (and getting sent the wrong part), I still don't have an idea on this.

I have a 67 FJ40 with a 78 2F engine. The radiator is in the stock location. A long water pump with the tall double pulley and the plastic fan is too long, the fan hits the radiator.

Can I use a short water pump, a short double-groove pulley, and a plastic fan? I don't care about a fan clutch.

Thanks

OK so update then... Found out on this thread:

The radiator support can be moved. So I pushed mine forward, and problem solved.

Tons of room now

Almost as if Mr. Toyoda did it on purpose. The red circle is the new location for the rod from the firewall.
1000007492.jpg

1000007491.jpg

Here u go my friend
Hey Matt, I just noticed that I missed responding to your second batch of excellent photos. Apparently, the casting & back plate alignment I pointed out seems to be normal. Even though it is normal, it did not sit well with me, so I took a die grinder to it and removed that portion of the casting and smoothed it out. When put just the backing plate up to the block, I could see the opening in the water jacket was larger than the hole in the backing plate. So, I even relieved a little of the backing plate hole edge to provide a smooth transition into the block.

Did it help? I don’t know because at the same time I installed my freshly rebuilt head which cured my vacuum issues and it’s running much better. It is cooling better, but I have no idea if my pump mod plays a part in it. If I ever replace the pump, I will do the mod again. I really wish I took some good before & after pics because it did come out looking good. Maybe a waste of time but who knows without some accurate testing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom