Best shock for "high-speed offroading" on a 100? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks Darren and Spressomon,
Expect most trips I take will be long distance trips and therefore heavily loaded. Had the truck weighed the other day and with mods, recovery gear, and tools, but no people or personal gear it’s at 6400lbs.
Seem like there is always a long stretch of heavy washboard before we get to the fun stuff.
Spressomon, I want to double check your numbers, the folks I talked with told me the first number is compression/rebound. And a lot of Foxes ship with 40/60 valving, so yours are quite different at 60/40 unless the folks you work with state valving the other way around.
The shocks I just bought were valved 30/90, so know I need to change, hoping to get some ideas here before I use up my free revalve.
Skidoo

You are correct...sorry about the reversal of numbers...they came 40/60 which were really OK off-road for my rig but with the trailer in tow I wanted to be able to adjust more compression than I had even at the max compression setting on the adjuster. Sorry I can't tell you what compression plates (2) the guys added...but it feels about 20% stiffer compression on the rears now. I want to replicate this on my fronts ASAP.

Should you decide to go to the 2" Fox with remotes you will notice a comfort improvement compared to OME even on-road. They are much more "active" in comparison. The OME's, to me, felt like they were overly damped for the small bump stuff (on and off-road) and not nearly enough damping for the bigger hits especially off-road. The truck suspension really came alive post Fox install!

Not that I'm all that great of a driver but on twisty roller off-road stretches my buddy who IS a better driver than me can't keep up in his modded 80. He attributes the difference to the Fox in mine vs his OME set-up.

If you do the conversion I sincerely doubt you will regret it!

The OME's, to me, felt like they were overly damped for the small bump stuff (on and off-road) and not nearly enough damping for the bigger hits especially off-road.

Very true. Dropping off of large ledges and rocks requires care with the OME shocks. SQUISH!

Went with Foxes front and rear on mine. Can take rough road at higher speed than OME. The eye to pin adapter for front I got was about 5/8" too long, so shock was bottoming out rather than arm hitting bump stop.
Was looking at top shock position in spresso's photo and it was different than mine, so sent him a mail and he said his were custom adapters, didn't I measure and set them up based on supension travel. Oops, I hadn't, have now, and a shorter adapter.
If you are going with custom shocks, make sure they are setup right.

Also expect this thread will be updated soon with feedback on Slee's new shock.

Also I made new shock towers in the front, with a crossmember over the engine, from the one to the other side.

In both front end rear setup I also added the Fox hydraulic bumpstops.

I am now changing the rear set up into two shocks per wheel. They both have to bear only half the load and stress.

Your English is clear. But pictures would be inspiring.

Has anyone tried the Kings for our trucks? I didnt even know they existed.

You are right next to one of the biggest King shock dealers in the country. They will custom valve the shocks for your needs. I wouldn't go stock on valving when it is possible to go with a custom tune set up for the way you will be using the truck.

Filthy Motorsports out of Boulder. Look them up on YouTube. They seem like a good group.

Cool havent heard of them...BUT they're boulderites sooo.
ill give them a ring, thanks

You are right next to one of the biggest King shock dealers in the country. They will custom valve the shocks for your needs. I wouldn't go stock on valving when it is possible to go with a custom tune set up for the way you will be using the truck.

Filthy Motorsports out of Boulder. Look them up on YouTube. They seem like a good group.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom