Best oil weight to use... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i just run a napa filter ....is that a good thing or a bad thing?

I think Napa makes a fine filter. Gold is best, then their Silver, I guess. I use NAPA in my RAV4; Big Black OEM Toyota in the '40. (Just 'cuz).

I've got a 74 fj40 and I use the Fram tri-filter with mobil one...I think it was the 10-40 and i've got no problems here in Nevada. I've always wanted to hear about recommendations though since i'm still a newbie in this area.

Napa filters are great. They are made by Wix, which I have read are one of the best.

[quote author=swank60 link=board=29;threadid=16101;start=msg154214#msg154214 date=1084251619]
I don't know - I was running 20-50 in mine here in Fart Worth, and it didn't like it. When it's cool, I run 10-30, during the summer, I'll move up to 10-40. I always put in a quart of Marvel Mystery oil, too...I've got 204k miles and other than the emissions weirdness I'm working through, it does great...

while we're at it, what about brand? I hear a lot about Mobil 1. I run Castrol (pretty much always have) - never run the cheap stuff...any thoughts on that? (not to hijack here...)
[/quote]

I like Mobil One. I run it in all my vehicles. I had a Ford Explorer years ago, high mileage by the time I gave it to my son-in-law was driving on the freeway, and the radiator blew. He drove another eight or ten miles dry, in the summer heat. He bent the head and I had to have it replaced, but the bottom end was fine and is still going strong at over 200,000 miles. So I like Mobil One.

Mike S.

Is the Mobil 1 a synthetic or blended? I went out and priced it (at Walmart, even...) and it's $20 for 5 quarts. I was so sticker-shocked that I backed away slowly, turned, then ran down another isle.

I'd have to stop a whole lot of leaks before I could justify that, even in my beloved 60.

Swank-see my posts above. I strongly reccomend you use the Chevron Delo 15w-40. You will get near synthetic levels of performance for very small $$. It's $6-$7 per GALLON, so you need 2. You get a heavy duty additive package which is just the thing for cleaning out an old motor of unknown maintence. The NAPA "Gold" 51515 filters are excellent in every respect and will take your 60 another 200k miles.

BTW-on the Mobil 1, it is the real deal-full synthetic, and that's a good price.

2001 VW TDI Bora

1987 HZJ-60 Cruiser

1987 Toyota 2L powered Suzuki samurai

All use Amsoil Heavy Duty diesel oil with Amsoil bypass filters.

TB

I'm using Castrol 20-50 on the FJ62 with Wix filters. Using same Wix (51515s i think) filters on the BJ42s but with Chevron Delo 400.

Honda gets Castrol with Honda filters.

Wix or Toyota fuel filters on the trucks, with addl Racor fuel filter/water seperators on the diesels. In the winter I also get some golden big rig fuel conditioner/drier for the diesels. Water is bad bad bad for diesels.

Does anyone use the Toyota brand filter?

The previous owner of my new (old) Cruiser used Mobil 1 and the Toyota filters for years. I guess I will keep that tradition alive.

I don't know diddly about oil, nor filters. But I'm not ashamed to take other peoples advice on the topic. Search for "cary" and you'll find a bunch of great info.

I use delo 15-40 & Mr T filter. Guys on the 80 list swear by this filter, and from Bobistheoilguy.com delo oil is possibly the best protection for the buck out there. Near to the protection of syn, but near dino prices.

HTH

brand really doesn't matter too much, if you're using a syn. blend, use a K&N filter, it's awesome, also check out Lucas oil additive, it did wonders for my motors when I raced cars

I am indeed biased but I would not consider using anything but an OEM Toyota oil filter. I have cut up many filters in my 25+ years in the car business and there is simply not a better filter out there. That being said, Wix and Hastings filters are quite good. Fleetguard is also very good.

D-

Who makes the motorcraft FL1A? out of curiosity? I've often used one in a pinch in the midwest where a Toyota dealership is rare, and finding the right filter there even more so.

oil?

I guess with 225k miles, I should change mine.

(Just kidding)

use clean oil and a new filter on a regular basis (3000 miles )and almost anything will do,,but we all have a emotional attachment to our 60's,and the design of the can .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom