Best oil weight to use... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, I hate to bring up this thread again, but it is the FAQ.
I have not been the most mechanically-inclined until finding this site and would like to know the best oil weight for my 130K '88 FJ62. I have deduced that my climate(90s and humid during the summer, and temps occasionally dipping below the 30s overnight in Winter) calls for 15W40.
Is this correct?
I would most likely make the switch to full-synthetic after an Auto-RX treatment and then also follow a Seafoam regimen. I understand that I might get leaks, but if they're there, I'll fix them. What do ya'll think?
And what is up with Mobile 1 0W40 Truck and SUV oil? Cary has been praising it over in the 80s forum. He says it can be used year-round and "the engines love it!" Can we use it in the 3FE? Or is it better for the 80 more than our 60s? Thanks

Last edited:
Delo or Delvac

Is the choice of people in the know, truck drivers. Why wouldn't you want near synthetic performance, extended drain capability for peace of mind if you get busy, etc. for about 6 bucks a gallon. It is silly to not listen to Cruiserdrew on this. I also use Pennz. Long Life when on sale...Everyone who cares about this kind of thing should do some research instead of asking a bunch of people what their dad used in the 70s.

So Mobile Delvac 1300 15W40 or Chevron Delo 400 15W40. No synthetic. Sounds good.
I did read that Cruiserdrew uses synthetic during the winter though.
There is so much research that I thought it best to make sure my research was pointing to the correct answer by asking my fellow Cruiseheads. There are some on the board using synthetics successfully while others detest the idea. This thread is 5 months and I was looking for "updated" opinions as to what weight and whether to go syn. or not for my area and Cruiser.

You know, I purchased the e-book a while back and I have to tell you it is very informative stuff. I had it 2 computers ago so I no longer have it to show you guys. If I did, I would upload it somewhere and let you all have at it for free.

http://www.motoroilbible.com/

Me personally, I use Valvoline oil and Fram filters. Always have and always will.

10-30 Synthetic blend all year long.

I just perused that site again to see if I could re-download it and they actually have a forum up now. Wasn't there 4 years ago when I bought that thing. I am sure many questions could be asked and info looked up there also.

i always use the cheapest oil that Wal-Mart sells (pick ur weight...i can't tell a difference). it is all rated. when it is no longer clean - change it. use a good filter (WIX 51515). i used to live in Dallas and did use the 20-50 in summer, but think that fresh oil with a good filter is the all-around solution.

For those interested, landtoy80 was (accidently) asking about some sludge buildup in his 62 over in the 80 section and Cary(who never makes it to our section) helped out. I slipped in a question to Cary about what he recommends for our 60 series. Here's the thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=37922
Interesting. I think I'm gonna try either the M1 0w40 or M1 5w40 Truck and SUV oil after a slow Auto-RX treatment. I'll update...especially if my engine starts leakin' like a sieve. :doh:

I know this is an old thread, but the Wal-Mart comment has merit. I work for a company that transports bulk tanker loads of motor oil that ends up at packaging facilities, etc. I have drivers that load at a Mobile facility in south Texas that say that Walmart tankers are loading right next to them. I'm not sure if Walmart has synthetic products, but my bet is that the oil they sell as "theirs" is mobil or some other major brand packaged in the "tech" bottles that Walmart sells.

I have been using their two stroke oil in my dirt bikes for years with no oil related issues. I have religiously purchased Q State for my street vehicles, but understanding the above and three dollar per quart oil, might have to rethink

I love 15-40 Shell Rotella, I have used it in both my cruisers. Also NAPA gold filters have always done me right, and are always on the shelf

My mechanic said emphatically the new Valvoline 15W-40 Premium Blue or the 20W-50 Full Synthetic for my HJ60.

Whatever you do, go synthetic, you won't regret it. I have a1991 Isuzu P/UP that has 261,000 miles using 5W20 Mobil One, and runs great.:D

Whatever you do, go synthetic, you won't regret it. I have a1991 Isuzu P/UP that has 261,000 miles using 5W20 Mobil One, and runs great.:D

I agree with Jose. I have a 1989 Supra with 101,000 miles and had always used full synthetic (Castrol Syntec 5-50 and OEM filters) since day 1. It still runs like new!!! :clap:

I am indeed biased but I would not consider using anything but an OEM Toyota oil filter. I have cut up many filters in my 25+ years in the car business and there is simply not a better filter out there. That being said, Wix and Hastings filters are quite good. Fleetguard is also very good.

D-

And this is where I get my toyota filters. I run 20-50 with a quart of Lucas oil treatment to help with winter cold starts. I also have a magnet heater that I stick on the oil pan when it sits in the real cold times we get to help it spread out. On 10-30 I would add a quart of oil every 3 tanks of gas and with 20-50 it is only every 6 to 7 tanks of gas.

As info, they are phasing out Delo 400 15W-40 non LE in quarts and gallons. Find your local distrubutor and see whats left. They still have it in 5 gal buckets in our area. I bought one, figure at least my next 3 changes are covered.

I run 10W30 Mobil One and I do not have leaking issues, that's on everything that runs on gasoline in my home, from the dirt bike trough the generator.

PS. My 83 has 168,000 miles.
:grinpimp:

one suggestion i would make is to get an oil sample done. I get mine done at each oil change. one of the things this has led me to is that if i get the oil changed at 1400 miles my internal coolant leak will not have much effect on the engine but much over 1400 and it does.

here is one of my samples with the listings for the others so you can see how it compares. this will directly tell you what effect you are having with a particular oil, filter and tell you what shape your motor is actually in.

cruiseroilsample.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom