Best Mods under $50... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here is an easy mod that is very nice in our 60's. I made a dead foot rest for my left foot when driving.

I made a thin poster board template to get the shape, angle and size. Transferred this to a piece of .065 aluminum diamond plate I had. Bent it in my vice with a couple of pieces of 2" steel angle and a mallet.

I tig welded the corners, but an overlap joint and rivets would work also.

The rest follows the pedal angles and sits about the same height off the floor as the throttle pedal.

I installed two metric nutzerts in the floor to make it easy to remove if needed.

It is very comfortable, on or off road.

P1100250.JPG
P1100251.JPG
P1100252.JPG

I had a free day and made a few small mods I had been thinking about...

I wired an Aux power port and dual usb port - 1 high & 1 low power, under my Tuffy console. These are powered from a dedicated fused source with large gauge wire.

I power by hand held spot light, Ipad navigation and phone charger from this location

P1100253.JPG

I had a $50 amazon giftcard and needed some mods. Here we go.

12 LED lights for the rear hatch, footwells, interior, dome etc. (Only used 6 so far)
2 6inch LED strips for under-hood lighting.
5 rocker switches (only used 2)
20ft of wire
Heat Shrinkable Buttcons

Heres the result

Rear hatch/interior

I did 4 lights on the hatch, 2 lights on the rear pillars that point inward into the cargo area.
The switch is on the DS rear pillar.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1428047050.619069.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427957499.952525.jpg

Then I put the LED strips under the hood with a designated switch in the engine bay.

IMG_1728.jpg

IMG_1727.jpg

End price = 37$

Oh... and NICE ENGINE!
Thank you! And by "fused", do you mean "did you run them to a fuse" or did I solder them together and "fuse them" ??

Because yes and yes. They are run to a fuse in the engine bay, and the under-hood light wires are soldered together and have heat shrink.
The rear lights are butt connected, crimped, and heat shrunk.

Since this thread started in '04, I wonder if it isn't time to change the title to ". . . Under $100."

Yeah.... Since Toyota doubles the price of the Land Cruiser every 10 years...Why shouldn't we? It'd only be fair.

Strewth.

Besides you just can't get a decent mod for under fifty bucks anymore. ;)

Strewth.

I still think the best mod out there is the headlight buzzer thingy <---technical term.

It was like 2 bucks.

Should be cheaper now that Radio Shack is clearing out everything prior to closing up for good.

I still think the best mod out there is the headlight buzzer thingy <---technical term.

It was like 2 bucks.

Should be cheaper now that Radio Shack is clearing out everything prior to closing up for good.

WHAT! NO RS cannot go!! Crap that means I need to rummage through my local and find this damn buzzer to do..

Strewth.

Sure you can!

Before... (as purchased with ARB bumper on 371k mile springs) Unbearable ride!

And $10 later! :)

I can't justify OME right now and needed to run the truck around a while to make sure my engine repairs have done the trick and the truck will keep running. The end of the spring was then tacked onto the U-bolt bracket to hold it.. this has held up for 2k miles of mostly city/hwy use and some light dirt roading. Actually rides pretty nice.
If you must know they are rear springs from a late model Kia Rio.. I took about a wrap and a half off and heated up the lower wrap to distemper it so it sat flat against the u-bolt bracket. One spring was laying beside the car and the other one came out with one bolt, 20 feet from the gate of the yard.. And they fit like they grew there! We'll see how long this lasts.

You guys with Chevy motors got nothing. I've got Kia parts on my cruiser :flipoff2:Let me just zip up my flame suit here..

Last edited:
You guys with Chevy motors got nothing. I've got Kia parts on my cruiser :flipoff2:Let me just zip up my flame suit here..

If you really want to get flamed, stick a modded Jeep part on your 'Cruiser: Here's the intake pipe off my daughter's (now mine) TJ cut down a bit and stuck on the 2f.

Before:

Air%20hose%20fix%20redneck.jpg

After:

Air%20hose%20jeep%20fix.jpg

If you really want to get flamed, stick a modded Jeep part on your 'Cruiser: Here's the intake pipe off my daughter's (now mine) TJ cut down a bit and stuck on the 2f.

Before:

Air%20hose%20fix%20redneck.jpg

After:

Air%20hose%20jeep%20fix.jpg
Brilliant field craft splint!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom