Best headlight upgrage for FJ60 latest and greatest 2016 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know that this has been discussed on other threads, but the other threads I am finding on mud are all a few years old. What would be the best option for a headlight upgrade that will be plug and play with the H4's for a 60 and where should I order them from? I am looking for the best deal on something I can literally take out of the box and install right into my cruiser without any electrical rewiring if possible.

The shoot out that was done still is the best option for plug n' play. If you are looking to fork out a bit extra dough and some more effort you can go with some of the LED or HID options that are out there. I know that @reevesci is putting some LEDs from Trucklite into Poppy as we speak and Hailiki has projectors or HIDs (one of the two can't remember off hand).

I'm running this setup:

1. Used lenses/housings from a newer Jeep JK. They fit just like any other 7" round headlight. They use H13 bulbs.
2. H13 LED bulbs from Lifetime LED: High Beam Headlights | Low Beam Headlights | H13 High/Low LED Headlight | Led Lights | Led Light Bar | Lifetime Led Lights
3. I cut and spliced in new H13 connectors, but you could get adapter harnesses like these: Amazon.com: (2) iJDMTOY H4 9003 To H13 9008 Pigtail Wire Wiring Harness Adapters For H4/H13 Headlight Conversion Retrofit: Automotive

Pros: Much more light, low power draw, cheaper compared to fancier options (I was under $200 total, including the JK housings from a Jeep guy that went with a much nicer than this setup).

Cons: LED's don't draw enough power when using high beams to illuminate the blue high beam indicator in the dash. The LED bulbs need some clearance behind the lens housing. Mine was real close, but others might have to cut/massage the sheetmetal behind the bulbs (not much). The JK housings are plastic, so I'll probably have to polish them in future to get rid of the hazyness and make them clear again.

I got the JW Speaker, but they are not plug and play.
I think your best bet would be the Trucklites.
These are just as bright, DOT legal, and Im going to say plug and play....
meaning no harness upgrade (although, I think upgrading your headlight harness is good practice) or modifications of any kind......

What Dapper setup did you go with?

Take this with a "Ton" of salt, as I live in SoCal...The land of Sun, Sand and Drought, plus a lot of fruits and nuts, but I digress.

We had LED's in a couple of vehicles we drove in the winter where it snowed quite a bit, and we took them out. The reason was the LED's would not clear the snow as they don't generate enough heat to melt the snow.

In addition, when driving while it was snowing, I thought LED's caused a lot of glare and the light color was hard on the eyes, at least for us.

I saw you are in Spokane, so this may not be a big issue, but it was for us.

I have some HID's, but they are on motorcycles, so they don't see much snow.

Just a thought to consider.

Here is my 60 with LED's after driving while it snowed. It looks frozen, but is slushy, but sticky, and would have fallen off with just a little heat from the the old Hella's halogens, which I switched back to.

053.jpg

Hella Halogens with 80/100 watt bulbs. ARB headlight wiring harness from Cruiser Outfitters.

That's as plug n play as you're going to get. Plenty bright.

That is exactly what I run including the upgraded harness.

Bright and no issues, and the cost is way less than LED's.

If you switch to new headlamp housings and H4 bulbs, you MUST upgrade your harness, or at least the connectors, or you'll melt the stock ones.

I use the one @slcfj62 used to make, but I think he's out of the business, now ? Great quality.

If you switch to new headlamp housings and H4 bulbs, you MUST upgrade your harness, or at least the connectors, or you'll melt the stock ones.

I use the one @slcfj62 used to make, but I think he's out of the business, now ? Great quality.
Was going to post this up... Is Aaron seriously out of business now? If you do some looking around he posted up instructions on how to build one of his units and where to purchase all the stuff. If not there is also an IPF version that is sold by Cruiser Outfitters. You WILL notice a difference.

I run the ARB harness from Kurt with Roundeyes. I run a stock bulb and it is great. IIRC Roundeyes is no longer in business however.

Hella Halogens with 80/100 watt bulbs. ARB headlight wiring harness from Cruiser Outfitters.

That's as plug n play as you're going to get. Plenty bright.

You haven't tried their 90/130 version have you or even the "yellow" 130/100? Currently have a 60/55 PIAA Super White in my truck and starting to think they are dying on me as they just don't seem quite as bright as they used too. Have always wanted to upgrade to something bright but haven't really decided. Figure with the weather being as warm as it has been lately, now is as good a time as ever to get it done.

You haven't tried their 90/130 version?

At one time I did run the 130/90 watt bulbs, but since they are obscenely bright and illegal, I opted for the slightly lower wattage (and still illegal) 100/80 bulbs. I've been pulled over and ticketed by a cop before for "Failure to dim lights to oncoming traffic". Unfortunately for me, that oncoming traffic was a pissed off cop with eye strain getting blasted by a 130 watt halogen.

And the higher the output the less life you'll get out of the bulb.

I run 80/100 Hella and they're Hella bright and I carry spares. I too have been pulled over with brighter bulbs; it's particularly noticeable in a lifted vehicle.

Reason for asking is that I see so many new vehicles with obscenely bright lights now days from HID and Projectors that I figured it would not be an issue. Like this morning when I was driving to work and came across a new Yukon/Tahoe and I flashed the guy because I thought he had his highbeams on. Ended up he did not when he blasted me as I got closer to him. It is getting harder and harder to determine if someone has their highs on based simply on their height related to you and direction of the beam.

Reason for asking is that I see so many new vehicles with obscenely bright lights now days from HID and Projectors that I figured it would not be an issue. Like this morning when I was driving to work and came across a new Yukon/Tahoe and I flashed the guy because I thought he had his highbeams on. Ended up he did not when he blasted me as I got closer to him. It is getting harder and harder to determine if someone has their highs on based simply on their height related to you and direction of the beam.

If you have to flash someone with true HID not a cheap kit, then the lights are out of adjustment.
I did a proper conversion on my 04 Denali and I have never been flashed.

I grabbed a set from Best 7" HID headlights for your Classic Ride! - HIDupgrades for my FJ60.

This is a 7" round light with the glass projectors.

We will see how it works and I will be aiming mine right.

Never put LED or HID bulb into a light housing not designed for it.
Not only is the light output crap, but it is blinding to oncoming traffic.

You need the proper cutoff that does not go into the oncoming traffic.

Thanks for all the info! I had forgotten about the LEDs not melting the snow and ice off the lenses, which would be a major issue here during the winter (in the 20's and getting colder tomorrow). I will be dialing in a setup to put on my Christmas list. I run some cheapo amazon round led fogs that help a lot, but without the help of those, stocks are like having a couple pen lights taped to the bumpers. Thanks again for all the replies!

If you have to flash someone with true HID not a cheap kit, then the lights are out of adjustment.
I did a proper conversion on my 04 Denali and I have never been flashed.

I grabbed a set from Best 7" HID headlights for your Classic Ride! - HIDupgrades for my FJ60.

This is a 7" round light with the glass projectors.

We will see how it works and I will be aiming mine right.

Never put LED or HID bulb into a light housing not designed for it.
Not only is the light output crap, but it is blinding to oncoming traffic.

You need the proper cutoff that does not go into the oncoming traffic.

Don't know about the guy this morning, I have some night blindness issues so I am extra sensitive to light output from oncoming traffic. It could have been just me but I remember seeing the guys a few block in front of me (like 1/4 mile away) and saying to myself "Damn buddy you got some bright lights" As he got closer it seemed like I had to look at the sidewalk (city street) to see and that is when I flashed him. Of course, normal procedure for me is to flash back right away, he waited a good 20 seconds before he flashed me.

Conversely, I just went ahead and ordered a set of the Hella 100/80 that D (@Output Shaft) linked. At $9/ea. I figured you couldn't go wrong for less than $20 prime shipped seeing as I had been looking at the GE Platinum Nighthawk which are like $55 for the set. Should be here on Thursday so I will see about doing a light comparison again my garage and on the road later that night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom