Best Birf Thread on Mud? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Iceaxe

I am my rig's nemesis.
Threads
Hey guys-

I have birf soup going on... something I've been putting off for a year. So, while I'm tearing into it, I figured I'd go ahead and rebuild the knuckles too.

What's the best thread on Mud for doing this for those of us who haven't ever done it?

Thanks much!!

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) page, scroll about half way down, Chapter 4, Maintenance.

Look for Front Axle/Birf Rebuild

FAQ for 80/LX450 -Mar 2015 -Added Battery Information Thread

You can also do some seaching, been thousands of post on the subject
use terms like front+axle+service

Here's a link to a cheat sheet with all the torque specs for the fasteners:

Front Axle Cheatsheet

Also do a search for FSM+download, and find the digital copy of the Factory Service Manual for your 80 and download it.

Here is the link; you want Chassis and Body:

For Sale: - 40, 50, 60, and 80 series FSM for a hell of a price.

There are a couple of videos on youtubby, but there may be a few mistakes in some of them so IMHO use those to familiarize yourself with the process but refer to the FSM when you're doing the work.

Last edited:
Hey Kernel, thanks so much. With so many threads, it's hard to figure out where to begin.

Added Darkness's Front Axle Cheatsheet link above

Man, you guys rock! :) Thanks again.

Inspect the axle very good for a small groove where the inner axle seal sits. That will definitely cause a leak. Make darn sure you use a toyota seal...NOT any other.

Who's got the best knuckle rebuild kit? ;)

?..it's hard to figure out where to begin.
I usually begin with setting the parking brake, and loosening the lug nuts before I put a jack unde rhe axle... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom