best bang for the buck bike racks (pics with a trailer)? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
trying to put in some time to get fully mobile for this summer.

any recommendations on a solid bike rack?

anything i can use if/when i am towing a motorcycle trailer?

anybody got pics of your rig fully loaded with “budget thoughtful” accessories like bike racks?

i initially thought i should ask about a hitch mounted bike rack but now i’m realizing i will probably be toeing a trailer...

Personally I like the labs rear bumper with swing out. You can run the bike vertical on teh swing out and still have your hitch available. But realize that is $$$ route depending on your current rear bumper.

Personally I like the labs rear bumper with swing out. You can run the bike vertical on teh swing out and still have your hitch available. But realize that is $$$ route depending on your current rear bumper.

yeah. thanks. appreciate it. standard rear bumper for me for now. mostly looking for budget options and fixing whatever needs fixing. custom bumpers and or lifts/shocks may be down the road for me if i do get there...

I ran this standard yakima setup for awhile.

Why can't you just put the bicycles with the motorcycle on the trailer?
yeah. it's this weird lowering trailer i stole off some guy that taught motorcycle safety classes that was moving to oregon or something. i'm not sure he knew what he had (and i didn't really know what he had) but it is some weird deal that you can lower to the ground and there aren't really any places to stand on it since it is basically a rail for a set of tires down the middle. i can take a pic because i'd be happy to modify it to get more out of it if it made sense...

Two different setups that I have used. The first was a Thule setup on the roof. This isn't too bad if your rig is stock height or mildly lifted, but it is not easy to get bikes up there, especially if they are heavy. The setup I use currently, is a 3 bike rack from 1UpUSA. 1Up makes some of the best racks out there. My setup is hitch mount, but they make a roof setup too.

Maybe you could have somebody local fab you up a hitch extender that has two receivers stacked on top of each other? Then you could mount a hitch rack on top while towing a trailer below.

IMG_20180427_194222703_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181004_165748140.jpg

IMG_20181004_165803783.jpg

hi gents,
saw one of those L shaped yakima hitch mounts at the thrift today. thought i would post pics of that trailer. not sure there is anything i could do with it. the plywood is just on it in case i wanted to hail something on top of it and because i had a piece laying around so i cut it.
might pick up that yakima hitch mount in case i want to use it when i am not trailering and may have to rig up something for roof mounted bikes.

B69F0B59-70C8-49FD-A74E-34B31817CCCE.jpeg

92C35ACA-0D76-463C-9879-55BEDC4AD523.jpeg

826466DD-BE43-46FD-A0B7-99F46CF27E91.jpeg

1C5F17BA-9370-4CF4-A1CC-3B2E94CBC9B2.jpeg

thanks
so did you weld a mount to the trailer? and do the bikes face the vehicle?

I don't have anything, was just making a suggestion. If it were me, I'd have the receiver welded on. The bike rack would then be facing the rear of the vehicle. Just make sure that the width of the bikes does not impede your turning radius, and that the mount is strong enough to hold a rack with bikes on it as the combined weight can be quite heavy.

I don't have anything, was just making a suggestion. If it were me, I'd have the receiver welded on. The bike rack would then be facing the rear of the vehicle. Just make sure that the width of the bikes does not impede your turning radius, and that the mount is strong enough to hold a rack with bikes on it as the combined weight can be quite heavy.
got it. thanks a lot...

Raxter rack on 4x4 Labs bumper with custom drop extension that allows both swingouts to clear the rack when no bike is installed. This rack is about 12 years old and still strong.

21373804_282617408888060_2683493504956497920_n.jpg

If you have the stock bumper you can put a 2" receiver on it and it would work great for something lightweight like a bike and bike rack. The other receiver you have then can be utilized for the trailer.

IMG_20190403_144358.jpg

If you have the stock bumper you can put a 2" receiver on it and it would work great for something lightweight like a bike and bike rack. The other receiver you have then can be utilized for the trailer.

View attachment 1971357
thanks a lot man. i’m a bit confused about how that works. i have an OEM trailer hitch on there now i guess. and i purchase some kind of OEM or aftermarket shortie hitch and just bolt it on next to that hitch? and drill some holes to get it on?

I think I'm going to have to do this^
Been struggling with making my 1up work with my slee rear on my 100.

I'd like to put in another vote for the 1up rack, the thing will last forever and they are great to use.

I have a Labs bumper but similar premise. Ended up drilling two vertical holes in the swingout and then made a "T" like extension that I could then use as a receiver for my rack. It sits up high enough that you could take it offroad but not TOO high that it is much of a concern when driving down the road (i.e. don't have to worry too much about low-hanging fruit).

If you want to see pics, let me know or check out the thread I posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom