Beck FJ55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Outside our normal build but when Glenn Beck calls you up and asks for different and doomsday ready, you must deliver. This 1976 FJ55 is having a complete transformation. What started as a partial restoration has turned into a complete frame-off build.

The original scope had us doing spring-over axles, reupholstered seats, electric windows, upgraded sound system, air conditioning, USB ports, Cummins motor, and a faraday cage. The updated scope wanted the same BUT modified custom fender flares, total new paint job, disc brakes, roof rack and upgraded upholstery.

The new paint is a Cornish cream and will have a 70’s pinstriping with fat lines of an autumn rainbow (dark yellow, orange, red, brown). The upholstery is distressed leather with German red/orange/green plaid inserts.

Went with Randy’s Worldwide 14T 10.5" GM 4.10 & Down 30spl and D44 3.92 & Up, 30spl New Design along with an ARB air locker both front and rear. We’re using a BD 3-Piece Pulse Exhaust Manifold by Diesel Power Products and got with Frank over at Entropy for our radiator.

Had custom 16x10 wheels shipped from Stockton Wheels then powder coated white rolling on 305-70R16 tires.

One area that we really focused on was the front and rear fender flares. We wanted to make sure the lines and gaping were perfect. The team did an excellent job of producing top-notch results. Overall, this is going to be one amazing FJ55.

IMG_20210719_143511.jpg

IMG_20210927_072201.jpg
IMG_20211028_172455.jpg
IMG_20210818_105356.jpg
IMG_20211116_172525.jpg

Yeah, this is going to be good! That upholstery looks great, the wife thinking black with hounds tooth in similar pattern. Top Notch work!!

Curious when the anticipated completion date is?

What’s the Faraday cage for?

Assume that I know what a Faraday cage is. I have some background in RF and EMI.

Also, why SOA for 33s? I mean, I had one, but now it’s on 35s and I’m going to 37s.

Just out of curiosity and I am probably way off but does the Cummins require SOA for adequate clearance?

Just out of curiosity and I am probably way off but does the Cummins require SOA for adequate clearance?
Based on Jim’s adventures with his I’d say, it’s easier.

Beautiful work.

But if the buyer wants a faraday cage to protect his electronics, why add power windows, usb ports an upgraded sound system so you can not be situationally aware. Why not just delete anything that can potentially be influenced by an EMP? Put a manual cutoff for the fuel pump the manual windows as little electronics as possible on the cummins and call it good.

The first tribal roadblock this will be the warlords "doomsday ready" rig.

Otherwise let Beck drive his Escalade.

Yeah, this is going to be good! That upholstery looks great, the wife thinking black with hounds tooth in similar pattern. Top Notch work!!

Curious when the anticipated completion date is?
The aim is for 2nd quarter..but...like everyone else it probably will depend on availability of parts.

My opinion! And Opinions are like Assholes everyone has one! I think the fab work is outstanding and they did a Great job making the flares look seamless. I know its all individual preference, but it just doesnt blend correctly! They go below the original body line and the factory wheel lips are on the flare itself! Looks like a Bandaid to cover the length of the Axles that were chosen! If this is something the owner wanted then thats fine! I wouldve talked him out of it! My Opinion only. Individual preference. Sorry ☹

As I have been accused of being a hater, do some research on fiberglass fender flares staying bonded to steel in harsh use. Could there be a reason most are mounted as bolt on. Fiberglass flares, a big sound system, not what I would suggest for a "doomsday ready" rig.

How about a cell phone starting app and proximity keyless remote? The cell phones will all work after an EMP? Right ? Right ??

Cars and coffee ready? SEMA ready ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom