Bay Area FJ62...whats it worth? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

Checked out an FJ62 that is located in the Bay Area today. I only was able to see it from the exterior as the owner wasn't there. Tomorrow I'll be taking it for a drive. The big positive is that there is no rust. That being said, every piece of rubber on the exterior appears to be dried out and needs to be replaced. A bunch of the chrome trim is missing too. Front and rear bumpers are toast and the interior needs a lot of work. Cracked dash, no carpet, stained seats that look reupholstered.

The cruiser came from Nevada and needs some work. It was registered as a classic car there which means that smog stuff could be missing. Seller is selling as is. Hasn't been smogged here. Actual mileage is unknown as well which scares. Seller says he's taken it to Moab twice in the past couple of months no problem. What would you say is a fair price for it? He's asking 8k but that seems a bit steep considering mileage is unknown as well as smog status. What should I be looking for under the hood? Is it easy to tell if all the smog components are in place?

I appreciate all of your help. This forum is gold.

I've attached a few images of the truck. Looks pretty good here, but definitely better in the pictures than in person.

00b0b_jf45jEBHNkX_1200x900.jpg

00M0M_3hbrhbqiEV2_1200x900.jpg

If it has been desmogged and you live in California, run away. It just isn't worth it.

Bad interior, uncertain smog status, cracked dash, that cruiser looks like it's lived a long hard life.

Desmogged $1000 max. Then register it out of state with a family member. Too many unknowns.

If smog gear is there, have the seller smog it and only buy if it passes. If it passes, maybe $2500.

It's a repaint (frame horns should be black) though, so look for hidden damage and bondo. Take a magnet.

I say RUN!!!

Was this thing on CL?

By law he has to smog it before selling in CA. Mirrors are painted black, originally were chrome (the bases were black). Rims are not stock as well.

Assuming you wanted to buy it then I would do a compression check on site. That would indicate the engine's health. If engine and transmission are good then the smog issue wouldnt be too expensive.

Running cruisers are going got 6k these days quickly. I'd offer 4k and do the smog stuff myself. More pics of engine and under side would give us a better sense of what is going on too.

Yeah, it seems like he just doesn't want to deal with any of it. You're right about smogging it. Quick Google search cleared that up as well. It seems that pretty much every inch of this car requires some sort of attention. My budget for an FJ62 is between 10-12k honestly. I can hold off and wait for a nicer one, however 3-4k MIGHT make this one worth it considering I would paint it myself and do most of the work myself. It would be a running project that I would fix up over the years.

Cruiserdrew pointed out that it is a repaint. That's a big deal for me actually. It looks like the front was damaged and maybe the repaint is just that area, but I'm curious to see the condition of the frame. Anyway, I'm going to get a good look at it tonight. I'll drive it around and take it to a gas station that has plenty of light. Crawling under it will be hard though.

I agree that it is worth more than 1500. Any cruiser enthusiast could get the smog re-installed via buying parts on mud classifieds and back on the road. Rust, accident damage, smooth engine, and smooth transmission would be my biggest worries. The axles are easily rebuildable and interior can be redone with time and money. $1500? You cant buy a running engine and A440F for that.

Anyway. This one is a no go...and probably for the better. Seller is unwilling to smog as it is registered in Nevada and he is unwilling to take it to a smog shop here. Therefore buyer will have to buy it as a Nevada car and register and smog in CA on their own. That's enough for me to back out. Also, doesn't seem like he is willing to budge on price either.

Probably for the best. Took me almost 6 months to find mine years ago. I saw maybe 5 different ones. Some were asking too much and others were rusted piles. Take your time, let the summer gas prices scare people out of the mpgs.

Anyway. This one is a no go...and probably for the better. Seller is unwilling to smog as it is registered in Nevada and he is unwilling to take it to a smog shop here. Therefore buyer will have to buy it as a Nevada car and register and smog in CA on their own. That's enough for me to back out. Also, doesn't seem like he is willing to budge on price either.

So, how did it drive? Was smog stuff intact, and why is mileage unknown? A carfax may clear that up. Agreed, too high of a price, but rust free is worth a bit unless drivetrain is shot.

That nevada plate is a "Classic Vehicle" or "Classic Rod". Meaning, the owner didn't want to pass a smog check in Nevada (or he couldn't). There are still quite a few rust free 60's running around the west.

Yeah just keep your eyes open... I thought that regardless of where the vehicle was registered, if the owner was located in CA and selling in CA then by law they were required to have it smogged prior to sale??? Lots of guys buy trucks from No.NV because they are cheap and smog laws are only viable in Washoe and Clark Counties, they normally don't realize this then start looking into things like getting it registered and find that it is not easy.

Other, not so legal option is to get a PO box in North Lake Tahoe somewhere on the NV side and register there and have registration sent there... Classic Vehicle also only allots the driver 5k miles per year, yes they are getting more strict and checking odometers from what I have been hearing, so that raises the question of if he was disconnecting the speedo cable or ????

So, how did it drive? Was smog stuff intact, and why is mileage unknown? A carfax may clear that up. Agreed, too high of a price, but rust free is worth a bit unless drivetrain is shot.

Didn't even bother to meet the guy so i don't know how it drives. After he told me he wanted to sell it outside of CA I didn't bother driving out there. I wouldn't have been home until like 10PM. Fact is, I'm willing to pay the right price for the right cruiser. I'm also kinda holding out for a dark gray one :) I think those are just beautiful. That being said, I'm working on a guy in the Sunset district in SF. He has a white one parked over by Lincoln High School that I keep leaving notes on. It has 130k original documented miles. Needs love that I'm willing to give. I've been admiring it ever since I was a kid actually. He's the original owner and even though it just sits there unused and deteriorating, it has sentimental value to him and he's not quite ready to let it go. I know how that goes. It's only a matter of time. Or something else pops up... :)

Thanks for all the support everyone! This forum truly is fantastic!

PS - Here are a couple of shots of my 40 that I've been building up since I was 18 (2001) :)

IMG_20160317_163651.jpg

20150830_133118.jpg

What's up with the yellow 40 in the background? ;)

I spotted a two tone 62 in front of Orinda P.D when I was driving around, looks immaculate but I didn't bother to get out and look.

What's up with the yellow 40 in the background? ;)

I spotted a two tone 62 in front of Orinda P.D when I was driving around, looks immaculate but I didn't bother to get out and look.
The mustard one is my brothers which is undergoing a major renovation right now. About 35 years ago before my family owned that one it was in a really bad car accident and the "repairs" were less than stellar. Basically the whole drivers side was smashed in was pulled out half ass with about an inch of bondo to make it look ok. I have been fixing it up slowly over the past year making new panels and it's just about ready for paint. Just a few more things to do and I'll be spraying her. I've also convinced my brother to paint the fiberglass top white instead of black! :p

I've been documenting the entire process and will be doing a full write up once it is completed. Decided to do that rather than incremental updates because I prefer Netflix style "binge watching".

That nevada plate is a "Classic Vehicle" or "Classic Rod". Meaning, the owner didn't want to pass a smog check in Nevada (or he couldn't). There are still quite a few rust free 60's running around the west.

Yeah just keep your eyes open... I thought that regardless of where the vehicle was registered, if the owner was located in CA and selling in CA then by law they were required to have it smogged prior to sale??? Lots of guys buy trucks from No.NV because they are cheap and smog laws are only viable in Washoe and Clark Counties, they normally don't realize this then start looking into things like getting it registered and find that it is not easy.

Other, not so legal option is to get a PO box in North Lake Tahoe somewhere on the NV side and register there and have registration sent there... Classic Vehicle also only allots the driver 5k miles per year, yes they are getting more strict and checking odometers from what I have been hearing, so that raises the question of if he was disconnecting the speedo cable or ????

The western portion of Clark County does not require smog, it's a couple of basins over from the Las Vegas Valley so not subject to air quality attainment standards and requirements. Plus land out there is cheap right now - 1-acre lots with an older mobile home are going for $50,000 or so, with annual property taxes in the $750 range. Only a quick 30-mile drive into Vegas @70 mph on a nice 4-lane divided highway.

How much is the seller asking?

The western portion of Clark County does not require smog, it's a couple of basins over from the Las Vegas Valley so not subject to air quality attainment standards and requirements. Plus land out there is cheap right now - 1-acre lots with an older mobile home are going for $50,000 or so, with annual property taxes in the $750 range. Only a quick 30-mile drive into Vegas @70 mph on a nice 4-lane divided highway.

How much is the seller asking?

He's asking $8000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom