Battery Cables (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

WarDamnEagle

SILVER Star
Threads
I want to get a new set of battery, gound, etc. cables made for my 1985 4Runner. This is a bit of an ask but would anyone have the measurements, including connector size? No way that I can measure mine at the moment.

I'm not even sure if an '85 4Runner has all of these cables but the options seem to be the following:

Battery positive to starter
Batttery to engine ground
Starter to frame ground
Firewall to head ground
Transfer (case?) to body ground

Cable end size options (not attached to the battery) are #10, 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2". I assume these are all eye connectors.

OK, has anyone replaced all of these and, if so, do you have lengths and eye sizes handy?

I've found someone that makes good cables....just need to give them the specifications.

Yup, I've replaced all the major cables on my truck, really helped with starting and it is a good idea to toss out 20+ year old wiring in install new stuff. Go heavier!

I went to a battery shop, bought a bunch of #4 cable, a handful of lugs, and a staking tool. Went to town. All the new lugs got staked, then soldered, then shrinkwrapped. I also upgraded the battery terminals to the Mil-Spec ones, bought from Wrangler Power Products. But I didn't measure anything or write it down, sorry. I just replicated what was there.

WinchWiring2.jpg

Last edited:
Measurements would make a great addition to the FAQ.....I'm just saying! :)

I bought a set for my 80 from Urban Landcruisers and they will make a set for my 4Runner, again, if I get the measurements. They also supply Mil-Spec terminals.

If no one eventually replies then I'll just measure them myself this summer.

Talked a friend into measuring them for me...

Negative battery cable - 6" w/ 6mm eye on one end
Positive battery cable - 32" w/ 10mm eye on starter end
Engine ground cable - 16" w/ 6mm eye and 12mm eye

Would anyone suggest any other cables at this time?

Again, I'm going to have these made with Mil-Spec terminals and single 0 wire. All connections soldered.

Not sure if there are other places to have these cables made to order. I didn't really see anything when I googled.

Again, I'm going to have these made with Mil-Spec terminals and single 0 wire. All connections soldered.

As with all wires in a vibrating environment it is best to just crimp properly. Soldering introduces flux resin which will corrode the wire over time. The point where the solder ends, ends up being a sharp stiff to soft transition point and that will fatigue crack faster than a properly crimped end will. The other important thing is to have shrink wrap type coverings from the connector body to the wire insulation that keep water out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom