Banging clunking? Parking brake? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently bought a 95LC with factory lockers. 162K. Runs well. Had to drive 50 miles to get it smogged in CA. I stopped to scrape the snow off and accidentally drove a couple of miles with the parking brake on. At about that point it started to bang proportionally to the speed starting at about 15mph.

Putting the car into neutral, changing gears or applying the brakes had no effect at speed, but putting on the parking brake slightly, stopped the sound. At speeds over 55mph the sound stopped.

When I got to the smog garage a mechanics reported brake smell coming from the rear. I wanted to get it fixed at that point but couldn't. Drove 50 miles back banging until I got up to 55.

I was on vacation and had to go back to work leaving the LC in the care of my contractor. Later he drove it 60 miles to a "Just Brakes" place in Reno. At first they thought it was the U joints but later, taking the hubs off, they couldn't find anything wrong. On the way back they was no banging.

I had assumed the parking brake was stuck on or somehow screwed up. Could it have fixed itself? What was really going on? Is it safe to drive?

Thanks.

Welcome :flipoff2:

Shoe bonding probably failed due to heat. Needs to be stripped out I'm afraid.

These handbrakes are not great anyway so, the chance of it repairing itself is.............er zero.

regards

Dave

Last edited:
It's also possible that the parking brake is rusty and was hanging up causing the ebrake to hang. I took ebarke apart an rebuilt all of it. I ended up having to chisel off part of the pins because of the rust an once I pulled the ebrake, it stayed on on one side unless I crawled under it to release it with a hammer.

After the rebuild, It works nice and smooth! It even holds the truck on an incline!

Yes, you could have probably done it yourself, but you would have needed to either pick up a mechanism rebuild kit or take it apart, then go to the FLAPS and get the little bits you need to actually replace. I used a power wire wheel to clean up all the parts, then painted them. Then I packed the rubber boots with lithium grease so it helps keep out water.

Good Luck!

Had the same problem with mine when I forgot my E-brake on after attempting to winch some drunk out of a ditch (when I realized he was hammered, I told him my winch stopped working.......wasn't about to help put a drunk back on the road)

Took the brake off about a mile down the road and was greeted with a bad vibe above 50 or so.

Got back to my shop, did a little research on Mud before putting her on the lift and sure enough, the bell crank assembly for the shoes was seized up.

Banged it out and zip tied it temporarily until new parts arrived, then installed the new goodies with plenty of anti-seize

Welcome :flipoff2:

Shoe bonding probably failed due to heat. Needs to be stripped out I'm afraid.

These handbrakes are not great anyway so, the chance of it repairing itself is.............er zero.

regards

Dave
Sounds right. Will make sure this is checked. Thanks.

It's also possible that the parking brake is rusty and was hanging up causing the ebrake to hang. I took ebarke apart an rebuilt all of it. I ended up having to chisel off part of the pins because of the rust an once I pulled the ebrake, it stayed on on one side unless I crawled under it to release it with a hammer.

After the rebuild, It works nice and smooth! It even holds the truck on an incline!

Yes, you could have probably done it yourself, but you would have needed to either pick up a mechanism rebuild kit or take it apart, then go to the FLAPS and get the little bits you need to actually replace. I used a power wire wheel to clean up all the parts, then painted them. Then I packed the rubber boots with lithium grease so it helps keep out water.

Good Luck!
I'll make sure this gets checked. Thanks.

Had the same problem with mine when I forgot my E-brake on after attempting to winch some drunk out of a ditch (when I realized he was hammered, I told him my winch stopped working.......wasn't about to help put a drunk back on the road)

Took the brake off about a mile down the road and was greeted with a bad vibe above 50 or so.

Got back to my shop, did a little research on Mud before putting her on the lift and sure enough, the bell crank assembly for the shoes was seized up.

Banged it out and zip tied it temporarily until new parts arrived, then installed the new goodies with plenty of anti-seize
I'm new to this kind of thing but I think the e-brake cable attaches to this on the outside and I pulled on it from under the car and it seems to move the assembly OK (and make the clunking sound). Anyway I will make sure this is taken apart and everything checked. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom