Bandeirante OJ55 owner intro. Total noob. Mods and parts? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey !

I just won one of the latest bringatrailer auction for a 1988 Bandeirante build! I love the way these Land Cruisers look and when I saw
a Bandeirante, I had to have one!

However, I am totally new to Land Cruisers and there is not much info on parts compatibility with 40 or 45 series parts. Been trying to do tons of research but there is little info.

I hate to say it but this fit would most likely be a show queen and won't see much action but as such I would like to do some basic mods:

I want to do bigger mud tires possibly 33"-34", so I might need a lift kit.

Does a lift kit for a 40 series 1960-1980 work for this Bandy? I was looking into the ironman4x4 2" lift.

Are Snorkel Kits for 40 series compatible as well? Body seems very similar.

I believe this 88 Bandy was cabin swapped for a newer style 4 door cab. But would like to take it back to round light bezel. Do I need just the Bezel or does it need the whole front?

Bumper brush guard. Any good options?

Are there any special requirements for aftermarket wheel fitment? I looked at the FJ Cruiser steelies as an option, but if there are some classic style aftermarket options I'd like to know what to look for in terms of hub clearance, offset, etc.

OM314 engine seems like it needs more umph. Is it safe to slap a turbo kit? I've seen some from Brazil websites for less than $2K but haven't reached out to the Brasileiros yet.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. We'll be taking this to it's first expo at Overland Expo Mountain West coming at the end of August! So look for it! (Xtrusion Overland booth)

Also, did anybody start a Facebook group for US Bandy's yet? We need to do so!

Thanks and sorry for the long intro post! Lol. Short on time here! Haha

Screenshot_20230719-130136.png

Interesting $21000. I live in the hills, long stuff high centers easily, wide stuff doesn't fit between the trees.

Hey !

I just won one of the latest bringatrailer auction for a 1988 Bandeirante build! I love the way these Land Cruisers look and when I saw
a Bandeirante, I had to have one!

However, I am totally new to Land Cruisers and there is not much info on parts compatibility with 40 or 45 series parts. Been trying to do tons of research but there is little info.

I hate to say it but this fit would most likely be a show queen and won't see much action but as such I would like to do some basic mods:

I want to do bigger mud tires possibly 33"-34", so I might need a lift kit.

Does a lift kit for a 40 series 1960-1980 work for this Bandy? I was looking into the ironman4x4 2" lift.

Are Snorkel Kits for 40 series compatible as well? Body seems very similar.

I believe this 88 Bandy was cabin swapped for a newer style 4 door cab. But would like to take it back to round light bezel. Do I need just the Bezel or does it need the whole front?

Bumper brush guard. Any good options?

Are there any special requirements for aftermarket wheel fitment? I looked at the FJ Cruiser steelies as an option, but if there are some classic style aftermarket options I'd like to know what to look for in terms of hub clearance, offset, etc.

OM314 engine seems like it needs more umph. Is it safe to slap a turbo kit? I've seen some from Brazil websites for less than $2K but haven't reached out to the Brasileiros yet.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. We'll be taking this to it's first expo at Overland Expo Mountain West coming at the end of August! So look for it! (Xtrusion Overland booth)

Also, did anybody start a Facebook group for US Bandy's yet? We need to do so!

Thanks and sorry for the long intro post! Lol. Short on time here! Haha

View attachment 3378308
Congrats on your purchase mate! :cool:
Looks like it's going to need some work, but it's a good start.

PS. Great (and unobtenia) OEM Brazilian steelies!

Last edited:
Congrats, I own a ´89 short frame, maybe some little answers:

- The history is maybe important. Be sure, there is no corrosion prevention at all. And there a lot of "creative" mecanicos out there, who can fix a Band with a hammer and a screwdriver only. But the car will look like that. Expect some hidden Problems.

- Bigger tires: possible, I don't know the lift kit, so I can't tell you it will fit. Can you quote the link here. I guess it will fit, because the axles are more likely the same. The Bands have different Springs, Diff-Ratio, BRake-System. With 2" you might need to adapt the cardans, Brakelines, etc.
I have 32x11.5x15 and those fit exactly, a 33x12.5.x15 would not fit anymore inside the wheelbays.
68a645f4-13fc-4aea-9a3d-909f8124c920.jpg

- AFtermarket parts need adjustment anyway, the cabin is usually the same, so a Snorkel should fit. With a OM314 you need the Snorkel on the right side.

- OM314 with Turbo: works, I have one as well and I did it myself. The Turbo-Kits from Brazil are not PlugnPlay, you need to modify a lot and actually build your own Downpipe, etc. I can give you details about that.
The OM314 was (almost) never build with a turbo, so it doesn't has all the turbo-features (piston cool, oil cooler, etc.) normal turbo-engines have to manage the additional energy involved. You can install a EGT-Meter and try to adjust the amount of diesel a little bit, this already helps, but keep an eye on the temps.
I'm running mine with a garrett TA31 .42/.48 turbo (better combi then the .42/.68) unregulated and it makes up to 15psi, but I'll "controll" it with the pedal, means long uphill-parts my Band don't need to go full throttle.

There are some differentes in parts regarding the axles, brakes, etc. So before you buy something, have a close look, if it is the same at your Band. Sometimes certain seals, etc. will also fit from one of the Hilux-Versions, or those are just standard parts.

Nice Bandi, Congrats.

Take it from me, first hand Bandi owner.

You will experience some real emotional roller coaster with one of these. First love, then panic, cheated, regrets, and eventually and hopefully, love again.

Don't bother go to the autopart stores and ask for parts for your truck. The clerks will try to be clever and run some Shroddinger equation into their computer only to disaapoint you after 30 mins of wasting your life. It's up to YOU to find out exactly what you want. Internet is your friend, my friend.

Check the frame carefully upon pick up, watch for any backyard mechanic splices and inspect carefully the welds. Any rusts need a thorough check. A POS frame is a POS truck.

Wiring, bolts/nuts, paint job, rubber tubes WILL BE a mess, not everyone is born OCD in Brazil. Especially these got imported into the US. They know there are suckers like us here and we can't do s*** about it. Every job, every pair of hands touch these, they will take the roads less traveled, every time.

Hit a snag? come back here and ask questions. There're willing folks who selfishly help you falling back in love with your Bandi.

BTW...enjoy the attentions. You will get stopped in the stores with strangers go full on interview mode.

image0 (2).jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the responses. Yes, you guys were correct. There definitely is sub-par work on it, and welds from a 3 yr. old are seen on different areas. But fortunately nothing major. I'm still trying to figure out the lift. I'm looking at the SOA kit from Ruff stuff. Does anyone know if the axle housing are similar to FJ40 or FJ 60? I'll be getting the high steer kit as well.

HM here is a pic just presenting a 37" tire and wheel from my Bronco. Lol

PXL_20230731_192704185.jpg

The little diamond plate steps at bumper corners are cool too.

Besides the bib would switch to Toyota turn signals. Reminds me of FJ40s that people put a generic square tail lights up on the tub. What's on there looks like they were picked up a chain auto parts store.

On the bib the bezel changed 1/79. Heard years ago that was to move the headlights further apart for a requirement in Europe. But what also changed is it's thinner to make room for an A/C condenser. Just something to keep in mind.

Already got a bib, bezel and headlights rings ordered. Lol. I'm also ordering several parts to replace in the interior and the vent window frames from Brazil, Here is the look in going for!

As for the turn signals, looks like these have 2 holes, vs the FJ40 1 hole mounting? I haven't looked into it that far to see if they're compatible.

Screenshot_20230805-001537.png
PXL_20230801_153905786.jpg

I am aware that what was used down there. Just if plan to put a bib made in Japan might as well finish the look by using true FJ40 turn signals. These look like some generic sourced in Brazil not something made specifically for a Land Cruiser.
Might be, I don't know. I don't know a other car with those signals. Anyway, back then, they used a lot of components of other cars. Like the mercedes engine, brake system, etc. But it works pretty well, almost everything is avail on the aftermarket for a reasonable price.

Might be, I don't know. I don't know a other car with those signals. Anyway, back then, they used a lot of components of other cars. Like the mercedes engine, brake system, etc. But it works pretty well, almost everything is avail on the aftermarket for a reasonable price.

Those turn signals remember of delivery trucks I drove in the 1970s and U-Haul cube trucks in the same era. Your truck do want you want. My thought was your changing the bib to look like a FJ40 made in Japan might as well change to turn signals that were only found on Land Cruisers.

Brazil requirements are why you find all the non Japanese parts on the Bandeirante. Other south America countries had their own requirements as well. Here in the US Toyota used locally made beds on pickups. After 1967 Toyota no longer imported the Land Cruiser pickup. Civilian 4X4 pickups were not like today where four models are one of the family vehicles. It was a new market and the big three auto makers didn't like the what Toyota was importing. Only thing good about the two Land Cruiser models imported was they were a complete vehicle made in Japan.

Those turn signals remember of delivery trucks I drove in the 1970s and U-Haul cube trucks in the same era. Your truck do want you want. My thought was your changing the bib to look like a FJ40 made in Japan might as well change to turn signals that were only found on Land Cruisers.

Brazil requirements are why you find all the non Japanese parts on the Bandeirante. Other south America countries had their own requirements as well. Here in the US Toyota used locally made beds on pickups. After 1967 Toyota no longer imported the Land Cruiser pickup. Civilian 4X4 pickups were not like today where four models are one of the family vehicles. It was a new market and the big three auto makers didn't like the what Toyota was importing. Only thing good about the two Land Cruiser models imported was they were a complete vehicle made in Japan.

Modern Bluebird school buses have 2 bolts fender signals...Never actually bought it but looks like a good candidate.

1691294039456.png

Modern Bluebird school buses have 2 bolts fender signals...Never actually bought it but looks like a good candidate.

View attachment 3393831
IMG_4849.jpeg

Zooming in on this Photo, it looks like a wedge beneath it. I suspect these lights are aftermarket and someone made a wedge to try to make them fit. But it looks like the angle is slightly off. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom