Bandeirante OJ55 owner intro. Total noob. Mods and parts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Besides the bib would switch to Toyota turn signals. Reminds me of FJ40s that people put a generic square tail lights up on the tub. What's on there looks like they were picked up a chain auto parts store.

On the bib the bezel changed 1/79. Heard years ago that was to move the headlights further apart for a requirement in Europe. But what also changed is it's thinner to make room for an A/C condenser. Just something to keep in mind.

Hello,

The Bandeirante is essentially a 20 Series with modifications to suit Brazilian regulations, which back in the day specified that a car sold in Brazil had to be made in Brazil, with as many Brazilian components as possible.

This is the main reason behind the choice of a Mercedes engine, among other things.

Assembly from CKDs stopped sometime in the early to mid 1960s. Local suppliers stepped in to manufacture most of the parts.

The indicators are quite likely a local component. Changing them to OEM indicators may require some fabrication.

The 40 Series Land Cruiser front bib changed in 1979 to meet safety regulations regarding headlights separation. The headlights from 1979 to 1984 have an additional 1 1/4 in. (32 mm) spacing between them. Interestingly, it was one of the reasons why Land Rovers had their headlights moved outwards, but that is another story.

Bandeirantes got the newer front bib sometime in the mid to late 1980s. The square headlights appeared in the 1990s, at around the same time the Mercedes engine gave way to a Toyota 14B-T. It was an effort by Toyota do Brasil to keep interest in the Bandeirante alive. By then, new regulations allowed car imports, which included competitors like the Defender and the Pajero/Montero.

Market share and emissions/safety regulations led to the closure of Bandeirante production in 2001. Some 100000 trucks were built.

An OEM front bib may or may not fit the Bandeirante.

Juan

Last edited:
This was the end result for the front end refresh. Went back to '88 styling.

A7305360.jpg

IMG_20230901_212319_412.jpg

We machined our own bumper and Winch Plate, which turned fantastic.

PXL_20230821_212913054.jpg

However I still haven't done anything with the suspension. I just made shackles to lift it temporarily.

I have the SOA kit from Ruff stuff, and hight steer kit from Trail Gear, but looking to maybe doing 3 link front / 5 link rear.

Still sorting a lot of electrical stuff and gotta re-up the seat brackets but overall it's turned great.

Y'all can follow the build on Instagram too at @xtrusion_bandy

massive bumper ;)

The turn signals are not my thing, I like the "original shabby look".

This was the end result for the front end refresh. Went back to '88 styling.

View attachment 3421150

View attachment 3421141

We machined our own bumper and Winch Plate, which turned fantastic.

View attachment 3421147

However I still haven't done anything with the suspension. I just made shackles to lift it temporarily.

I have the SOA kit from Ruff stuff, and hight steer kit from Trail Gear, but looking to maybe doing 3 link front / 5 link rear.

Still sorting a lot of electrical stuff and gotta re-up the seat brackets but overall it's turned great.

Y'all can follow the build on Instagram too at @xtrusion_band

How much of a pain in the ass is it to rip out the front grille/bip and got back to the roundies?

@Areysf

Hello,

I installed 16x8 -13 offset wheels, my tire size is 315/75 16
The stock FJ blinkers work just fine, however, they stay a little inclined forward. But not a big deal.

By the way, I saw your truck at the Overland Expo in Loveland - CO

Your rig set-up looks awesome. How can I contact you to get a quote for the tent rack set-up you were using?

Awesome job.

IMG_8379.jpg

IMG_8319.jpg
IMG_8252.jpg

I have a four doors Bandy that is fully restored and will arrive in the USA in early December—Nardo Gray with a dark gray interior.
I'm kinda interested? Shoot me the info of what shop did the resto and we'll go from there. I might be in Brazil before December and could take a peek.

Hey !

I just won one of the latest bringatrailer auction for a 1988 Bandeirante build! I love the way these Land Cruisers look and when I saw
a Bandeirante, I had to have one!

However, I am totally new to Land Cruisers and there is not much info on parts compatibility with 40 or 45 series parts. Been trying to do tons of research but there is little info.

I hate to say it but this fit would most likely be a show queen and won't see much action but as such I would like to do some basic mods:

I want to do bigger mud tires possibly 33"-34", so I might need a lift kit.

Does a lift kit for a 40 series 1960-1980 work for this Bandy? I was looking into the ironman4x4 2" lift.

Are Snorkel Kits for 40 series compatible as well? Body seems very similar.

I believe this 88 Bandy was cabin swapped for a newer style 4 door cab. But would like to take it back to round light bezel. Do I need just the Bezel or does it need the whole front?

Bumper brush guard. Any good options?

Are there any special requirements for aftermarket wheel fitment? I looked at the FJ Cruiser steelies as an option, but if there are some classic style aftermarket options I'd like to know what to look for in terms of hub clearance, offset, etc.

OM314 engine seems like it needs more umph. Is it safe to slap a turbo kit? I've seen some from Brazil websites for less than $2K but haven't reached out to the Brasileiros yet.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. We'll be taking this to it's first expo at Overland Expo Mountain West coming at the end of August! So look for it! (Xtrusion Overland booth)

Also, did anybody start a Facebook group for US Bandy's yet? We need to do so!

Thanks and sorry for the long intro post! Lol. Short on time here! Haha

View attachment 3378308
Hello Areysf,
I have a '97 Bandeirante on the way to me in a container from Brazil... have you done any research on parts cross references? I'm just getting started on the more common replacements like brakes, u-joints etc. It's a bit difficult without having the vehicle here yet.

@Areysf

Hello,

I installed 16x8 -13 offset wheels, my tire size is 315/75 16
The stock FJ blinkers work just fine, however, they stay a little inclined forward. But not a big deal.

By the way, I saw your truck at the Overland Expo in Loveland - CO

Your rig set-up looks awesome. How can I contact you to get a quote for the tent rack set-up you were using?

Awesome job.

View attachment 3429659

View attachment 3429663View attachment 3429664
Great job done and nice wheels too!
What did you do with the OEM steelies?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom