Aux/Long Range Fuel tank designs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's a picture of my Aux. Fuel Tank on my 60 series.
Gas tank.jpg

x3...

Does that include diesel?

Tim

My read on the Fed regulations: No.

Gravity feed for gasoline-fueled vehicles is prohibited by the regulation that gas fuel be taken out of the top of the fuel tank, thereby making gravity-feed moot; diesel fuel tanks do not have the same requirement.

Read a short discussion on this issue here: http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.c...talling an Aux Fuel Tank paper 2007-06-18.pdf

And you can follow-up on the DOT regs here: http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2006/octqtr/pdf/49cfr393.67.pdf

Al

Sorry.

Lets see: Auxilary Fuel Tank (Australia) $750.00, (2003)
Motorcare 4WD - Australia four wheel drive parts and accessories for 4x4 trucks and 4WD equipment Richard can take care of you.

Anyway, shipped to my door. Has a y-valve for the filler and a small 12v pump to pump from the 17 gallon aux tank to the main tank. It has worked flawlessly for 5 years. Took a huge shot on the Rubicon, but still is holding just fine.

It's easy to instal. It has a top bar that goes across the frame, attached by u-bolts on the front. The rear has a steel strap that goes up to the Shock cross member and attaches with another u-bolt. The plumbing is easy from the inside panel.

This system works way, way better than gravity feed - I had airlock problems with gravity feed system on a prior cruiser.

Last edited:
In the case of the 60 series, I really do not see the point on putting a aux tank under the factory tank and going through all the hassle of double filler necks, fuel transfer pumps or gravity feed etc.

I think it would be cleaner and probably cheaper to replace the existing tank with a bigger one, you would use your same filler neck would not need to transfer fuel from one tank to the other and, in the case of the 60 series, you can even adapt the existing float from the fuel gauge sender to work with the deeper tank, plus you would be able to carry more fuel with less wasted space than if you try to stack one tank below the other.

In the case of the 60 series, I really do not see the point on putting a aux tank under the factory tank and going through all the hassle of double filler necks, fuel transfer pumps or gravity feed etc.

I think it would be cleaner and probably cheaper to replace the existing tank with a bigger one, you would use your same filler neck would not need to transfer fuel from one tank to the other and, in the case of the 60 series, you can even adapt the existing float from the fuel gauge sender to work with the deeper tank, plus you would be able to carry more fuel with less wasted space than if you try to stack one tank below the other.

A big tank is fine, but some of us want to use alternative fuels and want the second tank for veggie... it's really the main reason I would install a second tank... the range on a diesel 60 will already keep me going for an entire day of solid driving.

A big tank is fine, but some of us want to use alternative fuels and want the second tank for veggie... it's really the main reason I would install a second tank... the range on a diesel 60 will already keep me going for an entire day of solid driving.

Ok, now that is a good reason to go through the hassle of having 2 tanks :beer:

I would just like to have two tanks....not sure the cost will justify it...considering where else I can spend the money on the rig. But I will keep looking.

This is a little off topic, but is there a speed sensor that can be accessed in 60 series and up? The reason I ask is if you could access it there is a ton of do it yourself electronic kits that can be made to sense voltages and do things at set voltages. It seems to me like it would be a good idea to make the vegi thing work automaticly whenever you got above 45mph it would switch over and back again when you went below 45.

More pics of my aux fuel tank. Here you can see how high up the tank sits where the spare tire used to go:
IMG_0001.JPG_s.jpg
IMG_0003.JPG_s.jpg
IMG_0002.JPG_s.jpg

And here is the mounting details. Note the differences in these mounts vs. those that were broken in the Black Rock Desert summer 2006 as shown several posts up.
IMG_0005.JPG_s.jpg
IMG_0007.JPG_s.jpg

What? Are you implying that you can't see enough good detail because my truck is so muddy and dirty?

If so, guilty as charged! :)

Yes, both shackle bolts come out to the outside, what you're seeing in the side pics are the bolts heads; the nuts are facing to the inside. Makes greasing the bolts with the grease fitting on the outside.

Thanks,

Al

I took tank off an old Jeep Cherokee and put it where my spare was. It is now my veggie tank and works perfectly. 20 bucks at apick and pull.

Yeah but who has the specs for the Material, which type of steel, any and all interior baffles and a basic layout of venting...i've got no choice for the tank as 5" stretch and coils in the rear of my 40 put me in a corner for tank design. As a fabricator as a trade welding all metals is no problem just the interior layout as mentioned above is a priorty as i dont want to learn the hard way. Steel preferably as weight is not an issue WHATTYA GOT!!??

Sorry about no reply, I've been busy. I've marked the thread so I should be able to keep up.

70 Litre tank, Long Range Automotive. It looks like I paid about $750US back in 2002/3 for this tank.

The fun part is I have a second tank (& Probably all the original paper work) available in a month/2 coming out of a parts60 - that just so happens to be my first 60 I built up. That tank looks the same, mounts the same, but is gravity feed from the main tank to the Aux tank. It does not have the Y-filler neck.

Be patient with me, I'm super busy for another few weeks. Bob

This thread is for those of us who would like to fab/have fabbed a fuel tank for extra range. Please post designs/drawings, etc of any designs you have. Also mounting ideas, bolt pattern measurements etc.

Josh,
Hey, how are you and where are you these days? I haven't stopped thinking about this topic and in looking at the options I totally forgot about 60 tanks as aux tanks. What is the capacity of an OEM diesel 60's fuel tank? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom