Attaching synthetic rope to Warn 8274 winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Everyone, I bought a 95' 1/2 synthetic rope for my Warn 8274 winch. It's too thick to fit through the hole on the winch spool to secure it. is there a way to safely attach the rope with having to use the hole on the spool?

The end of the rope has a nice protective covering for the first section that touches the spool. I know that the first layer of rope can carry the load. I just want to be as safe as I can with how it initially attaches to the spool.

Thanks!

You can just tape the end to edge of the spool with duct tape. Just remember that you need to leave a minimum of five turns on the spool when you spool it out, if you get down to that last wrap layer.

Deleted - double post

From another board. I would also consider looping the entire drum.

winch-line-install-13-700x450_zpsgv5cn7j5.jpg

From another board. I would also consider looping the entire drum.

View attachment 1882294

Newer Warn winch models come with that hole already there and threaded. But you can still yank the end out by spooling too far out (ask me how I know!).

Why not just widen the stock hole with a drill bit? Use a Dremel or hand file to smooth any sharp edges.

If you are pondering a future switch back to steel cable, you could drill a new hole for the synthetic line.

Just adding to the suggestion box. Not mine. Pretty sure my rope came terminated and its bolted to the drum. So bigger terminal on end of rope and bolted to drum.
Newer Warn winch models come with that hole already there and threaded. But you can still yank the end out by spooling too far out (ask me how I know!).

99% sure all i did was widen the hole and tie a knot on the end inside the drum. Nothing fancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom