Atlanta Ga to Deadhorse Alaska and back (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Love it. I have a WWII ex Navy boat in Sitka, AK. 66 foot long Fast Attack Sub Hunter. I'm rehabbing slowly to retire on her. 2,200 sq. ft of living space.

Subscribed! Looks like a fun adventure. Based on the gas station sleeping night, I assume you don't have an aux fuel tank or cans? Brings back memories, I've been in the same situation. Do you have a spare tire strapped inside?

Looking forward to reading more, and the more the pictures the better!

Yeah, I have 4 Scepter cans...that I hadn't filled up yet. We were looking at a map that showed gas station symbols and were basing our route off that. Everything is pretty spread out in middle of nowhere Canada and with a fuel range of like what 240 miles on a good day we had to plan carefully. Unfortunately that map was a bit misleading because of this thing they have in Canada...it's like a Gas Co-op program and if you're not in it then that limits your gas station choices in half. That night we ran out we actually got into a bit of panic because we were at about 220 miles when we arrived at what was supposed to be a fuel station but it was a "card-lock" which is a co-op self serve pump station. You have to have a membership card to activate the pumps...and of course we didn't have one.
Maybe someone from Canada can chime in on this but the way I understand it is that you have to be in/related to someone in the oil business to be a member of these. The fuel prices were lower at all of these than regular fuel stations.

Lesson learned though, we filled up all 4 cans doubling our fuel range at this point.

As for the spare, along with the one under the car to be used in a real pinch...or just as a jack stand;
Yes we have a full size spare strapped inside behind driver seat, along with a hi-lift, fridge, 5gal water, toolbox with enough to completely tear the vehicle apart, spare belts, freon, spare wire, multimeter, stove, spare fuel pump, tow straps, etc....

Love it. I have a WWII ex Navy boat in Sitka, AK. 66 foot long Fast Attack Sub Hunter. I'm rehabbing slowly to retire on her. 2,200 sq. ft of living space.

That sounds like a dream! Good luck with the restoration! We were near Sitka on a boat....but that's jumping ahead in our story, I'll share about that soon.

Meet Hildi, the best dog in the world if I do say so myself. She's so easy, voice controled needs no leash in almost every situation, knows all the commands verbally and hand signals, patrols new areas scoping them out literally every time we set up camp then patiently sits at attention, ears up guarding her people. Seriously, nothing gets by her without notice...and she's a total goof all the while. Has a mean enough look to make dishonest folk think twice.

And, a couple pictures from that gap I mentioned before. A couple from the plains of Canada and a couple from the Al-Can including one inside Toad River Lodge...quite the hat collection there.

IMG_2638.JPG

IMG_2642.JPG

IMG_2645.JPG

IMG_2649.JPG

IMG_2655.JPG

Sheesh...sorry for the gap there in updates...life can get crazy for me. Between finishing building a custom motorcycle as a side gig, regular 6am-3pm day job, buying a totaled LandCruiser for parts, fixing my buddies LandCruiser, and having our first born child I just didn't find the time to post.

Well...I'll try to jump back in.
So.... as mentioned before gas is scarce in some of these places, my wife snapped me refueling from our Jerry cans on the side of the road in Alaska.

And here's a picture of camp somewhere outside of Tok Alaska...our first night back in the U.S. We were woken that night twice, once by what sounded like a huge animal jumping into a lake/pond just bellow us through a thicket and once more by what we believe was a large animal,likely bear judging by the number we saw in that area the next day, making a ruckus along the tree line near our camp. Possibly thinking about approaching our camp in search for food?

And a picture just down the road from camp showing such bears in the area.

Off to Seward we go...we would meet my mother, father, and brother there. They came by way of plane to Ak...my mom being born in Alaska she couldn't pass up the chance for the whole family to be there and take a couple days to explore.

IMG_2661.JPG

IMG_2663.JPG

IMG_2664.JPG

IMG_2665.JPG

IMG_2666.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom