Army Tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/styles/military-and-truck/700-15-firestone-military-ndcc.html

Firestone Military NDCC - 700-15

measures 28"x7" mounted

DSC_9848lr.jpg
DSC_9851lr.jpg
DSC_9854lr.jpg
DSC_9856lr.jpg
DSC_9867lr.jpg

Beautiful!!!! :)

So tell us...how do you like them? How do they drive/ride??

Agree...this looks great.

Does anybody here know which year the switch from OE bar treads (NDT) to a more modern tread pattern occurred?
The sales literature for '68 that I've been able to find, doesn't clearly show tyre type...

Beautiful!!!! :)

So tell us...how do you like them? How do they drive/ride??

The ride is real smooth and they do great on the road. They are getting noisier as they wear in but it is a cool sound that you only hear decelerating to a stop (below 20mph or so).

Agree...this looks great.

Does anybody here know which year the switch from OE bar treads (NDT) to a more modern tread pattern occurred?
The sales literature for '68 that I've been able to find, doesn't clearly show tyre type...

I think they used both. The (Original?) spare on my 62 was a dunlop miltary tyre. In literature you often see the Dunlop RK3.

64 scans in the link below of factory literature showing corrugated hard top FJ40s
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153229606125743.1073741872.607820742&type=1&l=9668388577

The factory literature, for the corrugated hard tops, shows about 63/64 it started to be switched out.

The ride is real smooth and they do great on the road. They are getting noisier as they wear in but it is a cool sound that you only hear decelerating to a stop (below 20mph or so).

Good to hear!
Did you get to drive them in the rain, or a little off road??

Good to hear!
Did you get to drive them in the rain, or a little off road??

70 on the highway but the roads were clear. I need to get her in the dirt as soon as I put new brake shoes in.

70 on the highway but the roads were clear. I need to get her in the dirt as soon as I put new brake shoes in.

We have all seen this on the highway a thousand times . . .

That one big-ego type driving the 51-year-old Land Cruiser speeding in the fast lane and generally showing off.

So . . . typical!

We have all seen this on the highway a thousand times . . .

That one big-ego type driving the 51-year-old Land Cruiser speeding in the fast lane and generally showing off.

So . . . typical!

Old Red was just messing with me

Last edited:
Yeah, it was meant in total irony. Jeez.

I must really suck at this Internet thing. Sorry.

I was actually trying to give you props, man.

Anyone know where you can get the general super all grip radials

See next post
Not mine on eBay now but with the Generals on

The dealer who posted that is uninformed, those Generals are bias ply, not radials. They are also 16”, not 15”, so they won’t fit our stock US spec wheels. I don’t think General makes those in 15” any more.

Yes, those are bias, not radials. A good fit for your split rims as long as you are ok with old fashioned nylon tires.

@ColoradoCarlisle - Update - Apparently there was (and perhaps still is) a General Super All Grip Radial, in addition to the bias ply version. I found references to it from late 2011 in a Land Rover forum. The radial tread design is similar to the bias, but not as deep or aggressive. The ones on the green Ebay rig are definitely bias, here is a pic of the radial. I do not know if these are still made, or if so where they might be purchased. Best would be to find a local General dealer and stop in to ask.

Update #2 - All references to the radial version I have found are from the UK. I see no indication that the radial version is available in the US.

445D2BEC-6C19-4EA9-95BB-6E6757E1FFA7.gif

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom