ARB skid plates: good idea? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My '18 LC is stock except for KO2's and Slee sliders. I'm also two months into an anticipated 4-month wait for a Gobi rack. Meanwhile, I'm thinking of visiting Slee again, for some ARB skid plates.

My last truck was an FJ Cruiser, which I mildly lifted (Toytec lift/leveling kit, and 33's). The ground clearance was fantastic, but off-camber shelf roads had me peeing my pants and crying for my mommy. Here in Colorado, we have lots of those delightful spots. :crybaby: So now with the LC, I'm thinking in the opposite direction, keeping center of mass low, preparing to scrape, slide, and skid on rocks instead of clearing them.

Before giving Christo more of my dough, can folks here give me some feedback on the ARB skids, and how much guff I'll get from the dealer when I swing by for oil changes (first 2 years are included)? Are the ARB skids a significant improvement over stock? Will living with them be a pain?

...and yes, I already read the thread on the ARB skids. Just checking in for further feedback before spending the dough.

Thanks!

It takes 5 minutes to remove mine. The dealer will find a way to screw it up. They are night and day over stock in terms of protection. Personally, skid plates are the first thing I buy - no show and all go.

Thanks! I'm thinking the same -- no show and all go. It helps to get some validation before spending the dough. I appreciate your response; have a great night! 🍺

Yes, but I live just up the road from Slee. BudBuilt's skids look amazing, but I'm not a serious rock crawler, and well, Slee is right here...

Thanks!
I hear you on that. I’m no rock crawler either, just any time I upgrade anything I’d rather have the most rugged available. Slee May sell ARB, but I’d imagine they or any shop would still install BudBuilt if you just ordered. When I did sliders I went through all the options (including Slee) and ended up with BudBuilt 120 DOM, as like I said I’d rather do it once and error on the side of overkill, comforted that I’d never have to worry. At the time I did sliders My style of trails really didn’t even need sliders. Flash forward just a year, I’ve pounded down on them countless times. Things change. Not a radical difference in price for a world of different protection. Just my opinion, any option is better than stock

I hear you on that. I’m no rock crawler either, just any time I upgrade anything I’d rather have the most rugged available. Slee May sell ARB, but I’d imagine they or any shop would still install BudBuilt if you just ordered. When I did sliders I went through all the options (including Slee) and ended up with BudBuilt 120 DOM, as like I said I’d rather do it once and error on the side of overkill, comforted that I’d never have to worry. At the time I did sliders My style of trails really didn’t even need sliders. Flash forward just a year, I’ve pounded down on them countless times. Things change. Not a radical difference in price for a world of different protection. Just my opinion, any option is better than stock

These are all great points. Thanks for the info; I've clearly got more contemplation to do...

Hoping to have our (dissent off-road) aluminum skids available in the near future. Hi clearanc, strong yet light weight.

Arb skids will fit 16+ but there are a few adjustment to make on the bracket that attaches to the crossmember. Also the transfer skid will fit but the factory dampner on the transfer case will not fit properly. I left my transfer case skid off. The Arb offer way mor protection then factory steel/plastic skids.

I'm happy with my ARB skid plates purchased from and fitted by Slee.

Hoping to have our (dissent off-road) aluminum skids available in the near future. Hi clearanc, strong yet light weight. View attachment 1908765View attachment 1908766View attachment 1908767View attachment 1908768

Will another part go back to the middle crossmember? If not I assume the stock skid fits but you don’t have it removed for any reason?

How thick is the aluminum? Have these been tested on actual rocks yet? I really like the idea of using aluminum to keep the weight down (anything helps on these cows) but know it can struggle with hard use.

I have ARBs and they are OK, but not really built for heavy rock skidding IMO. Not terribly expensive and certainly provide adequate protection for a huge percentage of uses...

But...
...they are not the best fit for my use at this point, and it sounds like you expect much skidding according to your description in your OP.

Not a good sign:
-Here I am on a trail East of Breckenridge...
...reattaching mine after they were about to fall off (that’s me on the right next to my pasty brother :) ) The very small attachment bolts busted their captive nut welds and had broken loose at several points.

The main forward skid was literally dangling
(it’s sitting on my chest below).

Didn’t exactly instill confidence.

Probably contributing—
—Those very small attachment bolts also get turned A LOT...because the main skid has to come off for every oil change. Thinking maybe the newer ARBs have an access port for oil filter removal now? I’ve lost track...

The reason they are still on my truck is really just available $$$ for what I want to replace them with (that would be BudBuilt ) ...and various other priorities that have pushed it back.

Until recently, there really many alternatives available alternatives in the US. That’s finally changing though.

Again—NOT suggesting ARBs won’t help protect things. They certainly will...and are probably more than adequate for most.

I just personally beat them too hard for their design intent and look forward to a more robust solution now that more choices are available since installing these 3 or 4 years ago.

Last edited:
Will another part go back to the middle crossmember? If not I assume the stock skid fits but you don’t have it removed for any reason?

How thick is the aluminum? Have these been tested on actual rocks yet? I really like the idea of using aluminum to keep the weight down (anything helps on these cows) but know it can struggle with hard use.
These are 1/4”. Most steel skids are simply a flat 3/16” plate with a stiffener bend on the side which really isn’t that strong. We have added extra angles along with boxing in the sides which make them extremely strong.
The 200 skids are not finished yet but I have been beating up my aluminum skids on the Tacoma an 100 for a while now. They definitely don’t slide as well as steel but that really has been the only down fall. I will also be running aluminum on my 200 without hesitation along with aluminum front and rear bumper.
The factory trans skid will still fit however the skids will run all the way back.
I fully intend to beat them up in the rocks.

I will be installing Bud Built skid plates soon. My reason for this well made and well tested type of skids is what my OEM shids look look like now. I do not get to "Rock Crawl" but have made some unexpected bumps on tera firmer than sheet metal. It is only going to take one missed line and some major damage can be done.

These are 1/4”. Most steel skids are simply a flat 3/16” plate with a stiffener bend on the side which really isn’t that strong. We have added extra angles along with boxing in the sides which make them extremely strong.
The 200 skids are not finished yet but I have been beating up my aluminum skids on the Tacoma an 100 for a while now. They definitely don’t slide as well as steel but that really has been the only down fall. I will also be running aluminum on my 200 without hesitation along with aluminum front and rear bumper.
The factory trans skid will still fit however the skids will run all the way back.
I fully intend to beat them up in the rocks.
Any idea when the 200 bumpers will be in official production and up on the website? I was up in Utah this past weekend with Copper State Cruisers, and talked to a couple of 100 owners that couldn't say enough good things about your bumpers.

Does anyone have any pictures of the ARB or Bud Built front skid plate(s) on a 200 with a stock bumper? I have the Bud Built sliders with the kicker and they are heavy duty & battle ready. The kicker portion is like a side porch to stand on if your into the kiddy seat crowd. I really like Bud's stuff, but all their pictures are of 200's with after market bumpers. Thanks for any help...

Nothing wrong with the ARB skids, yes they are an improvement over stock. I wouldn't think a dealer would give you grief they are in the business of trying to please customers after all. The Dissent ones look really nice, I'd probably wait for those. I've had steel skid plates on other trucks and didn't like them, heavy and they rust but I'm also more into touring than rock crawling.

If it was an Audi, they would just cut a hole in it to change your oil:

I would remove the skidplate before taking it in for an oil change. But, by the time you get that done, you might as well just change it yourself.

Thanks for all the feedback, folks! After some deep contemplation with a few 355ml doses of mild liquid anaesthetic orally administered, I came to the conclusion that the ARBs will serve my purposes. They're pretty economical for their coverage, and I'm not one to do major offroading, meaning I don't need the best there is, just an improvement over stock. Thanks again for all the pointers; that helps a lot. 👏

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom