Appropriate winch for 60 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kevin,

If you can handle the weight (136lbs) the M12000 is a great winch, find one at a local swap, nickel ads, etc. if you can. It is more appropriate for the weight you guys carry.

The 8274 with the newer motor is lighter (about 110lbs) and very strong. Double line if you're doing heavy pulls, etc.

With either of these you cannot go wrong. And they are worth the money. There are plenty of deals out there on 8274s of all sorts of years, and it isn't hard to swap in a newer motor. I got my M12000 at a local IH Scout 4x4 swap meet for $650 (used twice), so there are deals to be had there too.

I have learned through stupidity the value of a good winch (and to use one ONLY to get out of a situation, or others out of situations, they didn't expect to get in). Winches have a way of making you stupid- to the degree of, "hey I have a winch, I can make that!"

I know you guys don't think that way but don't let it give you false confidence. Luckily the most my winches get used are to pull appliances, dumped cars and endless tires off landings in the national forests for SOLV weekends.

I IMHO the T-max is not in the same class as the MM. I have seached a lot of threads and the only knock I can find on the T-max is that the speed is slower than the warn on the second roll. It is austrailan made and reliability is not a big concern. I think most winch problems are user problems anyway. If you dont take care of something it wont work no matter who makes it. I was thinking the exact same as you. Warn is the name and why not be safe rather than sorry, but I saw one in action and the speed is fine for me. You can find a 10k t-max shipped for less than $700 if you look. That means I can use this for several years and if I wear it out buy another and still be fine. Just my opion but look at the theads on here or ask some people who have a T-max if they are happy.

lowtideride, thanks for the pics. I would love to sit down at some event and hear some of you stories. I bet you have tried to make some crazy things. Bumper job looks great.

I have been the winch bitch in one (muddy) event for a t-max equipped truck. What steers me away from Tmax is the painfully slow speed, and poor quality. The feewheel clutch handle assembly is eveything but waterproof and has plenty of play in it, nothing is remotely water- or mudproof and the hardware is of poor quality.
The good things about those is they are inexpensive, and the cable seems to hold up well. If you can live with the slow speed and are ready to fix the construction problems the Tmax can be a viable option for soft wheeling.

AFAIK TMAX, MM, KEW, GEW... are all the same product with different labels. They are supposed to have been designed in Australia but definately are built in China. NTTIAWWT if that floats your boat.

Mark, thats a great idea about coiling up the winch cable as a spare. I did not realize that it would not be a coiled up tight from the winch if it was new.

Ken, thanks for the input, you understand the kind of wheeling we do and how much weight we have in our truck.
I have been watching local ads, but we are back east, remember? We dont have many off roaders around these parts, so not to many winches to be found. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

REKCUT I looked around on the net and the T-max winches actually look really nice.
They are definitely made in China by these folks,
http://winch.chinese-suppliers.com/a_electric_winches_3.htm
But I do not see that they make the MM or other winches and not everything that comes out of China is crap.

Wonder what the boys down under think of these?

Kevin-You might want to choose your winch based on the bumper you have to mount it. If ARB, the 8274 won't fit withough significant mods to the bumper. The M8000, M10,000, and M12,000 all fit an ARB. (Thought the 12k needs a bit of grinding of the bumper support at one edge. The M8000 has the advantage of being inexpensive and light weight. I agree with Mark-use up your cable, then go synthetic (or not, I havn't). I've wrecked one 3/8 cable, and replaced it with another I was given.

If you will custom design the bumper, than design it around the winch. I have an M12000 and an 8274. Both great winches. I would stick with Warn for the quality and the excellent support after the sale. They are the best in that department.

lowtideride, thanks for the pics. I would love to sit down at some event and hear some of you stories. I bet you have tried to make some crazy things. Bumper job looks great.

Would love to man, Ill be at GSMTR07...Im sure there will be some tall tales said around the campfire:beer: after and or during working on project Uranus Im gonna try and turn a h42 into a rock box for Velveeta....

Hi everybody!

I think this is a proper winch for a 61 :D

http://www.forum4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37369 That's from an 80 series, smaller than the original 60's picnic table one.

Only part left to find now is the PTO for the 60, not the one of the 80 series! I get it delivered on sunday and i can't wait till i find a PTO.

Bye.

Max.

I am curious to know if all you guys are using electric winches? Anybody using a PTO driven winch? I don't even know if there is a PTO on the FJ60 tranny, I am guessing so, never looked.

I just carry a big ass comealong rated at a genuine 4 tons. Only had to use it once along with a Hiift jack. Would like to get a winch. I have an ancient Koening pto powered winch that came off an even older Land Rover 109. I have thought about trying to rig it up to my FJ60.

Split cases take a PTO but most of the PTO gearboxes for split cases come from overseas and are hard to find here. You can pick one up from Specter for $450 and they even have the rear gearboxes for $150. Not sure on a US 60 if you would have to modify anything special to get it to work... Sell yours to a Rover forum and get an 8274. Cheaper, simpler, out of the way, supported, known. What do the 109s weigh? That should point to the winch rating.

Everything keeps coming back to the 8274 (-50), I have never seen a bad word written about that winch and the internal mechanics of it just seem to make sense.

A warn winch in the 9,000lb range is about $800, the 8274-50 is about $1000, $200 more is not much in the big picture. Or...the 12,000 is the same price, but why carry the extra weight if Mark says I don't need it?

Oh, and Cruiserdrew,
I will be chopping up my non winch bar for whatever I need to fit. Thats the fun part.
-edit- and before anybody asks for pics, I dont even have the winch yet :)

Toyota PTO winch would be super cool, but there are not that many in this country.
:cheers:

Everything keeps coming back to the 8274 (-50), I have never seen a bad word written about that winch and the internal mechanics of it just seem to make sense.

A warn winch in the 9,000lb range is about $800, the 8274-50 is about $1000, $200 more is not much in the big picture. Or...the 12,000 is the same price, but why carry the extra weight if Mark says I don't need it?

Oh, and Cruiserdrew,
I will be chopping up my non winch bar for whatever I need to fit. Thats the fun part.

Toyota PTO winch would be super cool, but there are not that many in this country.

Whatever you end up doing I am sure that it will come out nice and clean based on your dual alternator write ups and the way you take on projects.:beer: Look forward to seeing the pics of the install!

Dylan

?

Oh, and Cruiserdrew,

If this is the case, than an 8274 is a no-brainer. This is an excellent, time-tested winch. The one I have is 16 years old, and after some new solenoids, new gear lube and a new cable, it works like new. Kind of like a Land Cruiser in that regard.

CHWTOY is part of the Whatley Clan. I was chatting with a friend of his a couple of years ago who is an engineed for Warn. He was telling us how Warn had wanted to phase out the 8274. It had it's own production line and shared virtually nothing with their other winches in terms of production logistics. They raised the price (I guess to try and steer the 8274 fans toward their other winches???). Folks just paid the price with no change in numbers sold. They did this three times and finally dropped the idea of discontinuing the winch. Instead they put over $300,00 into upgrades on the production line.

He also mentioned that it should more honestly be rated as a 10,000 pound winch when compared to any other winches out there.

Mark...

just one more note on the tmax. my brother has had one on his heep for less than a month and the shiny chrome parts are already speckled in surface rust. seems to function well though.

CHWTOY is part of the Whatley Clan. I was chatting with a friend of his a couple of years ago who is an engineer for Warn. He was telling us how Warn had wanted to phase out the 8274. It had it's own production line and shared virtually nothing with their other winches in terms of production logistics. They raised the price (I guess to try and steer the 8274 fans toward their other winches???). Folks just paid the price with no change in numbers sold. They did this three times and finally dropped the idea of discontinuing the winch. Instead they put over $300,00 into upgrades on the production line.

He also mentioned that it should more honestly be rated as a 10,000 pound winch when compared to any other winches out there.

Mark...

That being said he is still sucker for the 9.5XP, 25lbs lighter, better sealed from the elements, and faster than the 8274 in all but the lightest loads. He has nothing bad to say about the 8274's, just likes the XP more.

If you want BIG, Warn's latest trick is putting the 6hp motor in the 16.5ti, well over a 20k winch! Snatch blocks, we don't no stinkin snatch blocks...

That being said he is still sucker for the 9.5XP, 25lbs lighter, better sealed from the elements, and faster than the 8274 in all but the lightest loads. He has nothing bad to say about the 8274's, just likes the XP more.

If you want BIG, Warn's latest trick is putting the 6hp motor in the 16.5ti, well over a 20k winch! Snatch blocks, we don't no stinkin snatch blocks...

That decides it for me. 9.5xp it is.

No no! Get the DUAL FORCE POWERPLANT with built-in air compressor! Yours for only $1700 MSRP! Hurry, stock is limited!!!

:lol:

I just laughed when I saw that. ;p

So the Warm engineer likes the 9.5xp, good to know.
Is there really any difference between the 9.5xp and the xd9000/9000I ?
500lbs does not seem worth $150 more. And if it is then why not just go the extra $100 and get the 8274-50..................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom