Anyone tow an off-road trailer with their 470? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ewillis

SILVER Star
Threads
If so...how does the 470 handle when off road with said trailer? Is the 470 sluggish on the highway? Mildly thinking about selling my 80, building my GX and adding an off road trailer. 470 just doesn't have the space I need without a trailer for the camping I do.

If so...how does the 470 handle when off road with said trailer? Is the 470 sluggish on the highway? Mildly thinking about selling my 80, building my GX and adding an off road trailer. 470 just doesn't have the space I need without a trailer for the camping I do.

Have a watch:

Yes, it's a diesel with a rear locker standard, but rated the same 6500lb towing capacity ours is.

I recently bought a 1200lb dry trailer for camping. The GX acts like it isn’t back there IMO. Added a MT standard hitch receiver and the REDARC brake controller.

I recently bought a 1200lb dry trailer for camping. The GX acts like it isn’t back there IMO. Added a MT standard hitch receiver and the REDARC brake controller.
Took a quick look through your build thread. Nice 470...couple Qs for you. You look like you wheel a bit. Any limitations with the 470 compared to your FJC off-road? I ask because I'm considering letting my 80 go and don't want to regret the decision. Also looks like you deleted the factory suspension and went with coil setup. I can't wait to do this as my factory suspension feels absolutely horrible. Does the 1200 lbs. trailer drop the rear much with your spring setup?

@ewillis to honest I haven’t had an opportunity to really test the GX side by side against the FJC. Approach and departure angles aren’t as good. Front bumper will remedy that. No faxtory E-locker and A-TRAC isn’t selectable as it was in the FJC. When the time comes to work on the rears, I’ll more than likely add a Harrop E-locker.
That being said, the GX is like riding in a vault comparatively, super comfortable and plenty of power. Bigger gas tank gives me a little more range than the FJC. Reliability is sound and coming from a FJC, I know this platform can take the abuse. IFS has its limitations on the hairy stuff but IMO makes up for it in every other aspect. Used to run my FJ a lot with 80s and never felt limited on the trail or felt that I couldn’t run run with them. The shorter wheel base, e-locker + A-TRAC were great tools. Not much A-TRAC can’t chew away at if your patient.
As far as squating, I really didn’t notice any w/ the trailer loaded. Maybe a little but if anything, it leveled out as I have a little bit of rake when unloaded in the rear.
Here is a better pic with the trailer hooked up.
5D05F3D0-5A2D-49AF-8412-2F3AFCB5424F.jpeg

@Vlad and @landwagon have recently wheeled these pretty hard and can chime in.

@ewillis to honest I haven’t had an opportunity to really test the GX side by side against the FJC. Approach and departure angles aren’t as good. Front bumper will remedy that. No faxtory E-locker and A-TRAC isn’t selectable as it was in the FJC. When the time comes to work on the rears, I’ll more than likely add a Harrop E-locker.
That being said, the GX is like riding in a vault comparatively, super comfortable and plenty of power. Bigger gas tank gives me a little more range than the FJC. Reliability is sound and coming from a FJC, I know this platform can take the abuse. IFS has its limitations on the hairy stuff but IMO makes up for it in every other aspect. Used to run my FJ a lot with 80s and never felt limited on the trail or felt that I couldn’t run run with them. The shorter wheel base, e-locker + A-TRAC were great tools. Not much A-TRAC can’t chew away at if your patient.
As far as squating, I really didn’t notice any w/ the trailer loaded. Maybe a little but if anything, it leveled out as I have a little bit of rake when unloaded in the rear.
Here is a better pic with the trailer hooked up.
View attachment 1878447

@Vlad and @landwagon have recently wheeled these pretty hard and can chime in.
Thanks man! Feeling a bit more confident. Admittedly my 470 has never touched dirt but I'm really liking the power/speed compared to my 80. My 470 has 99K miles so I think it will continue to be reliable for quite some time. I have a Harrop in my 80 too...very slick locker. I see Vlad's 470, which is very heavily modified. I would not be going that extreme. Thinking 50mm lift, tires, rear locker, sliders, possible aux tank, and a small trailer like yours should do the trick!

I've rented a trailer from https://www.rentoffthegrid.com for a trip to Alstrom Point and Lone Rock Beach. Rented it from St George since it was on the way. For highway manners didn't notice the trailer much. And for the light offroading I did was fine too. I'm running Firestone bags in the rear so it didn't sag.

You might consider renting one to try out the combo?

One thing to consider if you're towing a lot is the valve body and TC lock out kit. I know @Vlad loves it.

I also had a FJC and wheeled it at RC4X4 and used it as I do the lex. I don’t miss the FJC or the rear locker, but will be upgrading my 8” in the lex. Interior room and the visibility are a good trade off for me. The approach and departure angles are close enough with bumpers, plus with 33’s your rubbing on rocks all the time at RC.

I haven’t towed with ether but have been looking at some of these little trail Campers.

newwaveteardrop.com and the CVT pop up RTT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom