Anyone Install a CB Like This?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

turbocruiser said:
Okay, here's a twist, I too want to install the CB in this location but it wont work well this way with my CB as my CB is the same size as small Uniden 510's ( mine's a 520 but same size) and the ashtray location wont work well as that is the space where my turbo timer is installed. The problem in this case is the space below the stereo, also an alpine one din unit, is too big and would allow the thing to flop around. What I want is a tray of some sort similar to the compact disc tray that currently sits under the stereo. The problem is that the compact disc tray is slightly too small to fit the CB because the tray has a huge lip around it that significantly shrinks the space inside the tray. If the lip was absent or even if the lip was alot smaller, the CB and the hand held thingy would fit wonderfully. I have looked through the typical sources like crutchfield but they do not do these sorts of special 'accessories', what other sources are there for these accessories? If I cannot find something setup this way I guess I can take my laminate trimmer, trim off the lip, split the tray thing in half and then rivet the top half and bottom half to the CB itself. This would leave a small 1/4 to 3/8 gap in the middle of the tray but at least the whole assembly would set well within the space under the stereo. Any other sources you fine folks know of would be most appreciated. Thank you so much. :cheers:

Sounds Like A Lot Of Work! I only paid $65 for the cb, might be easier just to get a new CB :D

get on with the times, folks, CBs are so 70s!
when I hear CB, I always think Burt Reynolds! Yikes! :D

Boston Mangler said:
Sounds Like A Lot Of Work! I only paid $65 for the cb, might be easier just to get a new CB :D

Yes more work but with this particular tuned 520, it is worth it; it has had all sorts of modifications made to it to really make it work well. I really wanna make it work, and I will, its just that if there is such a thing as trays that are sized differently I would rather work that way. I really only know about sources such as crutchfield and hoping someone here knew of other sources. Thanks. :cheers:

Boston - Nice job - things sound like they are coming along well since you were up here.

turbo why don't you sell me the 520 for $65 and get yourself a full din cobra?

either that or get out the dremel. I would guess you could get a single din blank fill plate and cut out a hole for the 520 to slot into.

landtank said:
Got that setup in my truck. I even clipped the caps off of the dash tweeters for 2 external speekers for the CB, Sounds real good.

Here is what I installed http://www.cobra.com/index.php?page=shop/flypage&product_id=12&id=1
Rick
can you elaborate on the Clipped the Caps comment. I have the Cobra set up like in this thread and wanted to use the side speakers. Do you have a photo of the Caps on the speakers? Did you wire them in paralel (sp)? Thanks Rick.
Steven

If you remove the speeker and turn it over you'll see a small tin can thingy that is in series on one of the terminals. Just cut that thing out and replace it with a small section of wire. That can limits the low frequencies from passing to the speaker making it a tweeter, so removing it will allow all frequecies to pass making it a full range. But it's still onlt a small diameter so it tends to be on the high side, but it's nice to have a speaker in front of each person.

The wiring is also important. You would attach the + lead to one speakers + side and the attach that speakers - side to the + side of the second speaker and then the - side of the second speaker to the - side of the lead. This is important to have 8 ohms resistance and for both speakers to be in phase.

hatfieldcb said:
A guy in our club, Rising Sun, just installed a Cobra unit underneath a Sony single unit.

http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1176&PN=1&TPN=3

Looks like this:

LOL, I have the same exact CB and Stereo! The stereo is a little blingy but was the right bang for the buck!

If anyone needs a United 510XL with the wiring mod as shown here , let me know. I was going to stuff it into my ashtray but went the Cobra 18 WX ST II instead. The Uniden radio was never installed and comes with all docs and such in the oem box. I'm asking $45 plus shipping. I have a paypal account.

Thanks.

Ali

Turbo,
I had a cobra 19 something or another that I pilfered from work mounted in the spot below the stereo, I took the blank tray commonly used to fill the void under the stereo and after mounting the cb in the lower slot trimmed the pocket so it sat next to the cb, ended up with a great place to put pens next to the cb, I used the rt hand side of the cb mounts through the existing brackets on hte side to hold it in place. worked pretty well. Sorry no pics but you get the idea.
Dave

Here is a couple of pics of my similar setup. The only addition is the mic clip. I used an unused spot on the dash to mount it to. There is a block of wood to space it away from the dash as well as one behind the dash that is in between the ears of the blanking plate to hold everything secure to the dash
Cb install 003.jpg
Cb install 004.jpg

Thanks Rick
You have helped me out with my rig a bunch of times. :D I'll have to see if I can wirein the dash speakers.
Steven

landtank said:
If you remove the speeker and turn it over you'll see a small tin can thingy that is in series on one of the terminals. Just cut that thing out and replace it with a small section of wire. That can limits the low frequencies from passing to the speaker making it a tweeter, so removing it will allow all frequecies to pass making it a full range. But it's still onlt a small diameter so it tends to be on the high side, but it's nice to have a speaker in front of each person.

The wiring is also important. You would attach the + lead to one speakers + side and the attach that speakers - side to the + side of the second speaker and then the - side of the second speaker to the - side of the lead. This is important to have 8 ohms resistance and for both speakers to be in phase.

turbocruiser said:
Yes more work but with this particular tuned 520, it is worth it; it has had all sorts of modifications made to it to really make it work well. I really wanna make it work, and I will, its just that if there is such a thing as trays that are sized differently I would rather work that way. I really only know about sources such as crutchfield and hoping someone here knew of other sources. Thanks. :cheers:

Stick with it Turbo, you'll get the conundrum solved. :idea:

Got a little faith in you dude. :cheers:

As far as other sources go check for a high end stereo shop, probably Denver would be your closest location. I'm not talking about a chain type operation here but a true custom shop. Ask around and find out where the Denver Bronco's take there rides. That is the type of place that could fab something up real easy for you to hold a unit like that along with your head unit and make it look like it belonged there. Also these type's of stores are usually a little more affordable than most people would think for the quality of work you will receive. Course there gonna try and talk you into leaveing with the CB and about 2000 watts of pure unadulterated power. :D

reffug said:
Stick with it Turbo, you'll get the conundrum solved. :idea:

Got a little faith in you dude. :cheers:

As far as other sources go check for a high end stereo shop, probably Denver would be your closest location. I'm not talking about a chain type operation here but a true custom shop. Ask around and find out where the Denver Bronco's take there rides. That is the type of place that could fab something up real easy for you to hold a unit like that along with your head unit and make it look like it belonged there. Also these type's of stores are usually a little more affordable than most people would think for the quality of work you will receive. Course there gonna try and talk you into leaveing with the CB and about 2000 watts of pure unadulterated power. :D

Great advice!!! Ohh and 2000 watts would work wonderful!!! I just gotta make sure they are tube watts and not solid state!!! :D :flipoff2: :D

landtank said:

Sory to drag up an old thread but it took me a while to get around to the job. :flipoff2:

Rick I followed your instructions and it worked great, sounds so much better than using just the little speaker on the radio. :D

Apparently there is some group on channel 20 who kept saying (Deep in the mud!) that I overheard while I was trying ou the radio, I wonder if there some sort of radio club?

Thanks again Rick, you a great help. :flipoff2:
Steven

loquito said:
Sory to drag up an old thread but it took me a while to get around to the job. :flipoff2:

Rick I followed your instructions and it worked great, sounds so much better than using just the little speaker on the radio. :D

Apparently there is some group on channel 20 who kept saying (Deep in the mud!) that I overheard while I was trying ou the radio, I wonder if there some sort of radio club?

Thanks again Rick, you a great help. :flipoff2:
Steven

Going over my notes it was you who helped Mike (Clownmidget) with his ( Fuel guage sender wire in dash ) thread on 2/7/04. You sure made that job easyer for me to :flipoff2:
Thanks Rick and the rest of you! :flipoff2:
Steven

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom