Anyone Install a CB Like This?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
youtube.com
Hey Guys

I am going to be installing an Alpine (single din) head unit to replace the factory unit and to run my iPod (FM tuner works great, but not loud enough)

I want to utilize the lower din space to try to install a CB in there nice and clean and make it look "Factoryesque" Do they make any "Kits" for this?

I did the search (here and on POR) and found nothing but installs into the ashtray! I am trying to mount it in the Din space where the factory radio is

Anyone done this?

Thanks

several peopl ehave done this. i have often thought i would do it as well but my ash tray one works fine and i have my stock head unit.

i dont think a kit is required. i could be wrong but as far as i know it should be the right dementions depending on the specific cb.

mike

just get the small radioshack unit and put it into the cig tray...fits great...looks almost factory.

k

inacoma said:
just get the small radioshack unit and put it into the cig tray...fits great...looks almost factory.

k

thanks but i would like to install it in the stock stereo location

Boston Mangler said:
thanks but i would like to install it in the stock stereo location

I don't think you are getting the point. They want you to install it in the ASHTRAY!!!

What you are proposing would be nice, though I haven't seen it done. That way you would have more radio options.

PM "Outback" (Jody). He installed a Cobra unit and it worked out well. I remember seeing some pictures floating around MUD but it's been awhile.

PKP80, has that setup do a search under his name you should find a pic. somewhere.

Last edited:
TX_TLC said:
What?? the search function works?? :D

yeah, first time for everything :flipoff2:

Funny, that pic is EXACTLY what i want to do! Thanks for the link!

I am going to be ripping the whole dash apart to install the CDL switch and the F&R Diff Lock switch and ECU, as well as a new head unit and CB, i want to do it all at once!

Boston Mangler said:
Is that a front firing unit?
Yes....

Or you could also tie the speaker into the front dash speakers of your rig...another often done mod.

A guy in our club, Rising Sun, just installed a Cobra unit underneath a Sony single unit.

http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1176&PN=1&TPN=3

Looks like this:
Matt's CB Install.jpg

well

i got everything installed today, went fairly easy, thanks to all for the help

overall, i am very pleased with the outcome, the stereo colors are a little bling bling for my taste, but i will get used to it! the alpine/iPod adapter is one REALLY cool gizmo!

here are some pics:
alpineipod2.jpg
alpineipod3.jpg

Boston,

It looks great. One of these days I'll get the iPod gizmo.

Regards

Alvaro

Okay, here's a twist, I too want to install the CB in this location but it wont work well this way with my CB as my CB is the same size as small Uniden 510's ( mine's a 520 but same size) and the ashtray location wont work well as that is the space where my turbo timer is installed. The problem in this case is the space below the stereo, also an alpine one din unit, is too big and would allow the thing to flop around. What I want is a tray of some sort similar to the compact disc tray that currently sits under the stereo. The problem is that the compact disc tray is slightly too small to fit the CB because the tray has a huge lip around it that significantly shrinks the space inside the tray. If the lip was absent or even if the lip was alot smaller, the CB and the hand held thingy would fit wonderfully. I have looked through the typical sources like crutchfield but they do not do these sorts of special 'accessories', what other sources are there for these accessories? If I cannot find something setup this way I guess I can take my laminate trimmer, trim off the lip, split the tray thing in half and then rivet the top half and bottom half to the CB itself. This would leave a small 1/4 to 3/8 gap in the middle of the tray but at least the whole assembly would set well within the space under the stereo. Any other sources you fine folks know of would be most appreciated. Thank you so much. :cheers:

alvarorb said:
Boston,

It looks great. One of these days I'll get the iPod gizmo.

Regards

Alvaro

Thanks For All The Help and Advice Alvaro (and others)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom