Anybody change the oil in their 2010 4Runner yet?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LOL! Have fun!

What an expensive pain in the ass!

Why?
What's the deal? Are you thinking about the skid as a pain in the ass, or the oil filter cartridge? What happened to you to make it expensive?

Why?
What's the deal? Are you thinking about the skid as a pain in the ass, or the oil filter cartridge? What happened to you to make it expensive?

7 Quarts of synthetic 0-20 and the cartridge filter makes it expensive. And yes, the skid plate and cartridge filter are way more inconvenient than the top-mounted oil filter in my 07 1GRFE Tacoma.

7 Quarts of synthetic 0-20 and the cartridge filter makes it expensive. And yes, the skid plate and cartridge filter are way more inconvenient than the top-mounted oil filter in my 07 1GRFE Tacoma.

Thought so...not sure why they moved the oil filter location. The top mount was so easy.

My favorite part was when I realized that I didn't have the Toyota tool to remove the plastic filter housing and had to pry it off with my hands. Having to remove a skid plate seems a bit odd too as opposed to a top mounted filter. I wonder why they did that; had to be a good reason right ?

My favorite part was when I realized that I didn't have the Toyota tool to remove the plastic filter housing and had to pry it off with my hands. Having to remove a skid plate seems a bit odd too as opposed to a top mounted filter. I wonder why they did that; had to be a good reason right ?

Gravity may be the answer...not sure? Removing the skid plate is always fun...once you do it enough it really becomes a pain.

Other than 7 qts of synthetic, I don't see how the filter factors in as expensive. I'm not sure what you pay for your filters, but my 'Mud price on them is around $4 shipped to your door. OTOH, my 80 takes 8 qts of oil and more expensive filter (large OEM). You win however the PIA award since you have to remove the skid plate.:D

To make life a little easier in the future, bend the "S" tabs on the skid plate back and forth until they break. Then you only have 4 bolts to remove.

FWIW, here is a link to a pdf I posted in my FileFacotry account. It goes into detail about the 2010 lubrication system. Oil change stuff starts around page 8.

Lubrication.pdf - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom