Another Radiator Flush Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A few weeks ago one of the Heater T's blew. I finally have the radiator to swap out. Since the problem i have been adding DM water every few days as the radiator was leaking. I will say that prior to the blow out i had SLL Pink in there. With the radiator leaking daily its all gone as there is nothing but clean water dripping on the floor where it used to be pink.

I prefer to use a SLL type coolant like Zerex for Asian cars, but it only comes in 50/50. Can i use this to fill up the radiator and call it a day if the DM water is in the rest of the system?

Also, I only have the FSM for the 2004. Are the engine drain plugs in the same location for a 2001?

Thanks in advance!

A few weeks ago one of the Heater T's blew. I finally have the radiator to swap out. Since the problem i have been adding DM water every few days as the radiator was leaking. I will say that prior to the blow out i had SLL Pink in there. With the radiator leaking daily its all gone as there is nothing but clean water dripping on the floor where it used to be pink.

I prefer to use a SLL type coolant like Zerex for Asian cars, but it only comes in 50/50. Can i use this to fill up the radiator and call it a day if the DM water is in the rest of the system?

Also, I only have the FSM for the 2004. Are the engine drain plugs in the same location for a 2001?

Thanks in advance!
The '01 has a valve with a hose barb on each side of the block, toward the rear. The valve is actuated via a 10mm socket. I found it easier on the pass. side to stick a u-joint in back of the socket. Shove a piece of 1/4" hose over it and stick it in an empty milk jug. You shouldn't need anything beyond a 1/4 inch socket set.

Drain the water prior to filling, otherwise you'll have something less than 50-50. Just noticed you're in FL, so freezing weather is probably not an issue, but maximizing boiling point may be. I use Zerex Asian and SLL interchangeably.

Steve

Optimal mix is 50/50, regardless of ambient temp.. Measure DM water as you drain it out. I doubt you'll get stated capacity drained, flushing machine supposable can.

Water transfers heat better, but it kills metal (water pump impeller first) by the means of cavitation. In simple terms, cavitation is bubbling. You can manage the balance of trade-offs from here..

The '01 has a valve with a hose barb on each side of the block, toward the rear. The valve is actuated via a 10mm socket. I found it easier on the pass. side to stick a u-joint in back of the socket. Shove a piece of 1/4" hose over it and stick it in an empty milk jug. You shouldn't need anything beyond a 1/4 inch socket set.

Drain the water prior to filling, otherwise you'll have something less than 50-50. Just noticed you're in FL, so freezing weather is probably not an issue, but maximizing boiling point may be. I use Zerex Asian and SLL interchangeably.

Steve

I like to flush the coolant out and refill using Zerex Asian. I like to be able to get as much of the old coolant out, but I am a bit unsure on the step by step. I have search around, but can't find a clear step by step what to do.

I am planning to drain the radiator, and also open the valve on both side of the block and drain out the coolant, which I think should drain about 3 gallon of the coolant (I read it somewhere). Now how do I fill the coolant into the engine block back up? Do I just fill up the radiator, and start the engine with the radiator cap open, and fill as the coolant gets suck into the engine block?

Chris

Thats pretty much what i did. Check my thread for pics where the plugs are.. Watch your eyes when doing the engine plugs, use glasses. I got a drop or two in my eye. Its messy. :)

1. Drain from radiator and engine block.
2. I disconnected all hoses since i was replacing the radiator. But i would do it if its just a flush as there is coolant in the lines.
3. Close up drain plugs and reconnect hoses. No need to over tighten drain plugs.
4. Keep adding water [NOT TAP] and repeat process until all coolant is gone. Run engine until it reaches running temp. Let cool a bit, drain. Repeat.
5. Pour coolant in radiator and reservoir until full.
6. Run engine until it reaches running temp. Let cool.
7. Pour more coolant in radiator. During the process it will burp itself.
8. Run it again and check radiator coolant level.
9. If its full your done. Go for a drive. Check coolant in reservoir if its below FULL thats fine. Keep an eye on reservoir for a few days and add as needed.

I did it this way and used 3 1/4 gallons. After i drove it, the reservoir was below FULL mark. Ill keep adding if necessary.

Thats pretty much what i did. Check my thread for pics where the plugs are.. Watch your eyes when doing the engine plugs, use glasses. I got a drop or two in my eye. Its messy. :)

1. Drain from radiator and engine block.
2. I disconnected all hoses since i was replacing the radiator. But i would do it if its just a flush as there is coolant in the lines.
3. Close up drain plugs and reconnect hoses. No need to over tighten drain plugs.
4. Keep adding water [NOT TAP] and repeat process until all coolant is gone. Run engine until it reaches running temp. Let cool a bit, drain. Repeat.
5. Pour coolant in radiator and reservoir until full.
6. Run engine until it reaches running temp. Let cool.
7. Pour more coolant in radiator. During the process it will burp itself.
8. Run it again and check radiator coolant level.
9. If its full your done. Go for a drive. Check coolant in reservoir if its below FULL thats fine. Keep an eye on reservoir for a few days and add as needed.

I did it this way and used 3 1/4 gallons. After i drove it, the reservoir was below FULL mark. Ill keep adding if necessary.

Thanks you @bucfl ! Appreciate the step by step and the pictures on your thread.

Will be doing my first flush soon. I plan to flush with distilled water multiple times until it comes out clean. This should mean most of what's left is just water. But, if I can only get 3+ gallons out of the system, is it ok to pour in 50/50 pre-mixed? I would think the remaining water sitting in the system would just act to dilute the 50/50 mix.

Your correct in that remain ~1 gal in system will dilute. Add just a little less than one gallon of Toyota Red LL 100%. This will yield ~50/50 mix in system. Then pre-mix one gallon of 100% red with D-water and poor in. You'll have some leftover that you'll add over next few heating and cooling cycles to burp (top off). Keep topping each morning in radiator & some in reservoir until level holds.

This assume your rig calls for Toyota LL "red". IIRC that is only in 98-02. In 03-07 it's Toyota SLL "pink" which only comes in premix 50/50.

I used Zerex Asian premixed. 150k mile life. My radiator blew after I had used the Toyota brand and didn't feel like spending that much again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom