Another bucket seat thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Scored big time with these mint seats out of a 94 4runner. So I know there are other threads out there about info on seat interchangeability and the question of whether or not the 89-95 generation Toyota seats would fit has been pretty much confirmed but 50% said no track hole modification and the other 1/2 said direct bolt in. Well I can confirm they are kind of both lol. The track spacing on the newer 94 4runner seats is actually 3/8" narrower so if you place one bolt in and push the track away from you they will fit. Otherwise you can open up the holes on the seat brackets if you so choose. I have a 84 standard cab so I'm definitely not running the seats back and forth much but I found that this did not affect the functionality at all. I had to remove the inner plastic panel on the passenger seat and the lumbar lever on the driver seat due to my fat console. I have the Smittybilt console in my rig that serves its purpose but is a tad on the wide side. I wasn't able to do the "push/pull" method as well on the seat tracks for the passenger seat so the back inner bolt would not go. This is due to my console so 3 out of 4 ain't bad for now. The seat belt "should" hold you in LOL! All in all I am so fippin happy with these! They are super comfy and have all the bells and whistles such as lumbar, kidney adjustment, and lower pad adjustment. They also match the brown interior perfectly. I think I might look into other console options. I would like something a little narrower. Any suggestions of consoles out there? I like @Manhattan's console and might build one like that.

IMG_1210.jpg
IMG_1212.jpg
IMG_1208.jpg
IMG_1207.jpg

Update:
The 4Runner seats will not go back as far as the original 84-88 seats. It’s not much but definitely makes driving less comfortable to have your knee cocked up. I noticed that there are still a few teeth to be had on the tracks. Going to have to try and get some more adjustment out of these. Also, they sit a tiny bit higher but that’s not a big deal. Just trying to figure these out for inquiring minds. Anybody else have these issues? Thanks!

So here is what I was able to… there are these bump stops that prevent the seat from going past the 3rd notch. I ground them down and was able to get another 2 notches of adjustment. My tiny single cab will only allow for one additional notch of adjustment but it made a difference. My knee is still a tad on the bent side but hopefully I’ll learn to live with it. Hopefully this helps someone
70D8DBEB-57C4-41F8-87C7-23E2E0931CF5.jpeg
3A7DC7DF-8045-45F9-B6E5-48D47320E537.jpeg
62F889C6-1CA3-4D01-AB03-89C4994E8289.jpeg
EB19B24E-FEE7-47DB-B81A-A9FB78025DF2.jpeg

Update:
The 4Runner seats will not go back as far as the original 84-88 seats. It’s not much but definitely makes driving less comfortable to have your knee cocked up. I noticed that there are still a few teeth to be had on the tracks. Going to have to try and get some more adjustment out of these. Also, they sit a tiny bit higher but that’s not a big deal. Just trying to figure these out for inquiring minds. Anybody else have these issues? Thanks!
They sit higher? I would never have expected this. My stock 4Runner seats (in a '90 4Runner) seem to sit fairly low to the floor.

A lower seating position is better for legroom, so if they are sitting higher that's another factor working against your leg comfort.

Exactly. The smallest bit of height gain kills leg room, I swear they didn’t make these trucks for anyone taller than 5’6” lol. After driving around today I’m pretty confident I can deal with it. The seats are crazy comfy and this outweighs the slight reduction in legroom. Super curious about what other single cab rigs have for seat upgrades.

They sit higher? I would never have expected this. My stock 4Runner seats (in a '90 4Runner) seem to sit fairly low to the floor.

A lower seating position is better for legroom, so if they are sitting higher that's another factor working against your leg comfort.
SR5 seats sit taller than DLX seats

Edit: I still have a set of 87 4runner SR5 seats that I purchased almost 30 years ago. They have been in an 87 reg cab, 90 reg cab and may find their way into the Tacoma….

Last edited:
Good to know and very cool! Got any pics??? I’m thinking about lowering these seats. I have some seat brackets from a 84-88 drivers seat that I could use to mod the 94. I’m also looking at the gas pedal and contemplating ways to make the pedal not stick out as far. This is the main reason my knee is cocked so much. Really appreciate the feedback

I have the same seats in my 88. I used planted seat brackets and they are just about the perfect height for me, Im 6ft.
Is that console a Tuffy?

When you say planted seat brackets, does that mean non adjustable? Are they something custom you fabbed or something factory you found. Thanks!
It’s a smitty bilt. The tuffys are super nice though. I was considering picking one up

When you say planted seat brackets, does that mean non adjustable? Are they something custom you fabbed or something factory you found. Thanks!
It’s a smitty bilt. The tuffys are super nice though. I was considering picking one up

^^^^
Those are the brackets I used. I bought a pair of Corbeaus to use with them, but the Corbeaus didnt really fit.
I got the Runner seats from the pick n pull in Rocklin. I had to modify the bracket mounting hole for the rear of the passenger seat.
I actually used spacers to raise the seat because I felt like I was sitting down in the truck too low. Seat back is a bit more upright than I like, but still
ok.
I put a Tuffy box in when I changed the seats, but found the seatbelts were hard to dig out between the seat bolster and the Tuffy.
It also comes pretty far forward, so it interfered with the TC shifter. I pulled it back out, it might be going in the Landcruiser.
I f you want to see how it all fits together, I am in Granite Bay right off Douglas blvd, I would be happy to show you.

Met up with @whiteyota today and figured out a game plan to lower my seats. Thanks again for the insight and great conversation! I need to lower my seat about an inch to bring it back to spec. I’ll post pics when I start cutting and grinding.

My pleasure, great meeting you too
Dig your truck too, makes me rethink whether I wanna sell it or build.looking forward to see what you come up with on those seats, still blown away how perfect they are!

Turns out only the rear seat pedestal is taller on the 4Runner seats. I decided to cut out a 1” section or the rear pedestal and leave the front alone. Seats fit much better now that they are lower.

4F934FB6-736B-4B83-B154-AB754A5B4C13.jpeg

CA32F824-B12F-4055-B35E-655D090FD9D7.jpeg

08EC4548-66B8-4121-A8B6-6B2BAFD2065F.jpeg

98C98551-5B96-4CA0-8A45-8409C3975F07.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom