Another Blinker / Hazzard Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thecrazygreek

A.K.A. TheCraftyGreek
Threads
I have read thru a ton of threads, so I think I have an idea... But heres the lowdown...

I have NO signals, nor hazard. This is a restore so all new lights etc.

on a 76 40. Stock wiring.

I AM getting power when key is on to the flasher. So I THINK that eliminates the hazard switch.

My driver side running light (rear) is burnt out. That cant be it tho right? Theres no return to the system at that point.

I think its a bad turn signal switch, but I don't know. I cant get a single signal light to do anything.

All other lights are fine. Headlights and high beams, taillights all reverse lights. Just nothing that blinks..

Grounds all look good to me... fuses are good too

Going bonkers...:crybaby:

have you checked your flashers? I'm not sure about a 76 but my 67 has two flasher units one for the hazards and one for the blinkers. they could be bad or just not grounding on the body. I had a similar problem and swapped in a new flasher unit and all was well. You coud also check your blinker fluid.:hillbilly:

IF the blinker fluid is OK, you may want to check that the blinker can is well grounded to the vehicle body/frame. On my '68 the clamp that holds the can to the fire wall needs to be making a good contact/ground to the can.

Good luck with the fluid...

Jerry D.

First the flasher won't do anything if the bulb wattage is small
25-30 W should draw enough current to bypass the resistor and make it blink.
Second ,I had my share of these little head buggers.
I would bypass the flasher by making a connection between the 2 wires that are pluged in to it. This will give a solid connection to the signal switch. Then you can do your testing to find out where the problem is . Just a thought.
Good luck
Vic

I'd go through and wire-brush all the places where the grounds "look good". My blinkers work most of the time, but not if the voltage drops a bit. If the engine's running, they're fine, but if it sits for a week or more they won't work before starting it. About once a year they quit all together and I've got to clean up the grounds to get them back.

First the flasher won't do anything if the bulb wattage is small
25-30 W should draw enough current to bypass the resistor and make it blink.
Second ,I had my share of these little head buggers.
I would bypass the flasher by making a connection between the 2 wires that are pluged in to it. This will give a solid connection to the signal switch. Then you can do your testing to find out where the problem is . Just a thought.
Good luck
Vic

this is good info. I have tried that but no lights go on. So I'm thinking Im not getting power to the signal switch.

this is good info. I have tried that but no lights go on. So I'm thinking Im not getting power to the signal switch.
Did you try the Haz with the flasher bypassed ??
Something should change.
haz.jpg

I fixed it last night...

Tested and found i wasnt getting power to the turn signal switch. Theres a disconnect between the flasher and the turn switch. So I built a bypass and routed it thru the loom. PITA...

Once I had power to the switch the signals came on but no flash. Went and bought 26 watt bulbs and got the driver side working. Pass side has another issue with the rear signal light not working. I traced it to a bad wire somewhere between the firewall and the rear light. I will fix that tonight.

Just wanted to say thx to everyone who has posted different topics on flashers. I was able to figure out all my issues from the info gleaned from this board. Fantastic...

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom