Another aftermarket stereo thread (Seicane) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Took my first long distance drive in my 2013 LC last week and it performed wonderfully after I figured out a few of the quirks. One of which is the stereo system. I've seen a couple threads here about people thinking about or looking at some of the "Tesla" style stereos. I don't recall any of them actually got the stereo installed and/or working (note to self: go back and read those threads).

In my searches for a working replacement stereo, I've found a couple of Android units from Seicane. Most notably, this one: 9 inch Android 8.0 Autoradio GPS Navigation System for 2007-2013 Toyota Land Cruiser 200 with CD DVD Player Bluetooth 3G WiFi Mirror Link OBD2 Backup Camera

Does anyone have experience installing or seeing any of these units installed? The poor photoshop skills in their marketing material and videos have me questioning how legit their claims are for plug and play.

I've also been looking at a couple Pioneer head units.

AVIC-8200NEX - Flagship In-Dash Navigation AV Receiver with 7” WVGA Capacitive Touchscreen Display
$1,400 (good lord that's expensive!) and it uses HERE for navigation, which required paid map updates and it's segmented to different regions of the USA.

AVH-2330NEX - Multimedia DVD Receiver with 7" WVGA Display, Apple CarPlay™, Android Auto™, Built-in Bluetooth®, HD Radio™ Tuner, SiriusXM-Ready™ and AppRadio Mode +
$500, still expensive but it has Apple Carplay, 7" screen, and built-in Spotify/Pandora.

AVH-1330NEX - Multimedia DVD Receiver with 6.2" WVGA Display, Apple CarPlay™, Built-in Bluetooth®, HD Radio™ Tuner, SiriusXM-Ready™ and AppRadio Mode +
$400, 6.2" screen, Apple Carplay. Very similar to the unit above but this is likely the previous year/model.

I can't speak to the Pioneer but these are normally targeted at non-US models, and if you look at the 9" model you can see the dash is different. There are a few threads on it but basically you'll lose a number of functions (XM, windshield de-icer, possibly rear entertainment) and some other functions such as the physical climate buttons may or may not work depending on the model.

If you get something working that doesn't lose any of the factory functions I'm in.

Yeah, I'm getting the impression pretty much any Toyota built SUV is going to have those sort of issues. :(

Think I'll have to look more into the Pioneer models and see if/how well they integrate.

I've toyed with a number of these types of things with several cars over the years. From early carPC's, to tablet's in dashboards, to these 3rd party integrated units. Some more successful than others, but there always seems to be some dealbreaker or annoyance in usage or integration where it's just not worth it. Long term reliability is even a question. With the degree of integration in the latest 200-series MFD (multi-function display), and the fact that these are primarily developed for overseas cruisers... I don't have a lot of hope. Even though a giant screen in dash a la Tesla style would be way cool.

My current position is that the only integration I need and want is a wireless audio connection, aka bluetooth, for my smartphone. Everything else is done directly on the phone. Where it is done better, faster, more satisfying UI interface, newer updates, etc., without learning yet another proprietary interface. No built in system is going to have close to the amount of technology, connected-ness, and updates the way a phone will.

Just need a mount to put your phone in a spot that makes using it effortlessly.

I hear you, @TeCKis300 and I've given up the dream of a Tesla-style head unit, especially on a 5+-year-old vehicle. Honestly, I'd like a slightly better unit with better phone integration that maintains the functionality of the factory system.

Side question, where is the SSD card slot on the dash used to update the maps for the factory nav?

Side question, where is the SSD card slot on the dash used to update the maps for the factory nav?

There is no SSD card slot on the 2013 LC200. The procedure for updating the maps can only be done at a dealer - and it's very expensive. I know, I did it once and will never do it again.

HTH

There is no SSD card slot on the 2013 LC200. The procedure for updating the maps can only be done at a dealer - and it's very expensive. I know, I did it once and will never do it again.

HTH

Factory nav is pointless. Even on brand new Toyota/Lexus vehicles, and when equipped with live traffic, it will just draw a straight line to your destination with no regard to traffic patterns - same as the 2013. I drove a 2017 Lexus RX with live traffic, and it took me straight through city traffic instead of on the much faster highway route. And for this privilege, you are charged an additional 2,000+ dollars on most vehicles.

I have not found a better solution than a phone or tablet mount.

^^This^^

HTH
summabitch. I thought I was going insane when I couldn't find it. Damn you Toyota!

Factory nav is pointless. Even on brand new Toyota/Lexus vehicles, and when equipped with live traffic, it will just draw a straight line to your destination with no regard to traffic patterns - same as the 2013. I drove a 2017 Lexus RX with live traffic, and it took me straight through city traffic instead of on the much faster highway route. And for this privilege, you are charged an additional 2,000+ dollars on most vehicles.

I have not found a better solution than a phone or tablet mount.
Le sigh. Going to have to look up pics of phone/tablet mounts for inspiration while I'm seeing if the Pioneer will do what I'm hoping.

The factory system has a lot of features and integration that a good solution really needs to provide:

Tesla Style Stereo Research - Landcruiser 2008-15

What I know my 2013 has that I'd want to see replicated is:
  • touch-screen climate controls
  • hard climate temp controls still work
  • rear defroster
  • front defogger and heated mirrors
  • *front de-icer (I don't think anything supports this, currently part of the digital controls)
  • cabin filter button (hard or digital)
  • hazard lights (hard button)
  • steering controls for audio
  • steering controls for voice control
  • steering controls for phone
  • navigation (with offline map caching)
  • AM/FM
  • *XM (I could give it up, but really why wouldn't it be supported?)
  • iPod/USB in the center console still works
  • BT Audio support maintained
  • *rear DVD
  • *rear DVD remote still works
  • *rear A/V inputs still work
  • front, rear, and both side camera work as-is
    • camera grid lines
  • *External temp sensor and clock work
It seems that most of the things with * next to them are lacking in the Chinese replacement systems out there.

Possible improvements:
  • I would take a USB stick or SD card option over DVD ROMs for the rear player
  • Ideally videos would be playable via an app like Plex instead of the DVD player (I <3 Plex)
  • Integration with the MID, like don't display maintenance required every 5k miles but instead based on the maintenance schedule I set (unlikely but would be nice)
  • Timezone sets automatically from cell network and/or GPS (seriously my 2008 Acura had this)
  • Digital inclinometer (useful for wheeling)
  • Pull in OBD2 and CAN data (stuff I can already see on my phone using EngineLink)
    • A/T pan and torque converter temps
    • Realtime MPG, A/F mixture, etc
    • Display Toyota diags (stuff that's only in Techstream currently)
  • Better stitching of exterior cameras together
  • I don't use the maintenance stuff in the nav but it would be great if you could use it and tie it to your toyotaowners account
Stuff I don't care about:
  • Toyota/Entune "apps"
  • XM sports/stock quotes/etc
  • maintenance reminders in the nav if it's standalone
I'm probably forgetting some other stuff but I'll edit this post if I think of them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom